Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Photographer snapped while claiming benefits

Published

on

chrisyoungMAGISTRATES imposed a 12 month community order with the requirement of completing 200 hours of unpaid work after a man from Milford Haven was sentenced for two charges of dishonestly claiming Jobseekers Allowance, and two charges of failing to notify the Department for Work and Pensions of a change in his circumstances.

Chris Young, aged 34, of Harbour Way, Hakin pleaded guilty to the offences. Prosecutor, Ellie Morgan said: “Young was claiming Jobseekers Allowance when he was not entitled to it, and received a total overpayment of £6,857.36 between 2011 and 2012. He claimed the money stating he was actively seeking employment, although there was evidence that he was working as a selfemployed photographer and had not notified the authorities.

“Young said the money he had was nothing to do with photography and that some was from his grandad, and some was money he had won gambling. In interview, he admitted that cheques he had were given to him for photography and admitted dishonesty, and said the reason he did not declare it was because he was worried he would not have enough money from the photography to survive.” Defending solicitor, Alex Scott told the court: “The situation arose when he was loaned a camera while he was claiming benefits. He took it up as a hobby and found he had a flare for photography, which then turned into a small business. He didn’t make a lot of money but admits he should have notified the authorities. It is likely he would have been eligible for working tax credits, therefore the overpayment total would be less.”

Magistrates imposed a 12 month community order with a requirement of 200 hours unpaid work and ordered him to pay £85 costs and £60 victim surcharge. He was not required to pay any compensation as no claim was made for it.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Nine Dyfed-Powys Police officers assaulted in one weekend

Published

on

NINE Dyfed-Powys Police officers were assaulted in five incidents over the weekend, including a Special Constable who was bitten while on her probation period.

Officers across the force were punched, kicked, bitten and spat at as they responded to domestic assaults, harassment, a disturbance and a missing person.

The offences were alleged to have been committed by women aged between 14 and 61, all of whom were arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker.

Chief Constable Mark Collins said: “Policing, by its very nature, is a challenging occupation, and officers do expect to be put in difficult situations. However, it is completely unacceptable that they should be subject to assaults while they are carrying out their duties – particularly when they are assaulted by the very people they are trying to help.

“Nine officers being assaulted as they respond to five incidents is shocking – and this doesn’t include the verbal abuse and near misses they face daily.

“We take these matters very seriously. For every officer who is assaulted, a plan is put in place to support them, whether they are able to remain on duty or not.

“Our view is that assaults on police officers and staff should be investigated with the same care, compassion and commitment as an assault on a member of the public. This sounds obvious, but too often our response to assaults on officers and staff can be rushed or treated as secondary to other offences.”

Charges have been brought against two of the alleged offenders.

Chantelle Thomas, aged 18, of Water Street in Carmarthen, was charged with two counts of assaulting an emergency worker by kicking and biting them. Police had been called to a disturbance at Maes yr Ysgol at around 9.40pm on Saturday, where the defendant was found to be distressed. Officers attempted to calm her down, but she is alleged to have become irate, kicking out at one Special Constable and biting another.

One of the SCs, who is still in their probation period has been praised by their sergeant for their patience and composure during the incident.

Rhian Jeremiah, aged 32, of Adpar, Newcastle Emlyn, was also charged with two counts of assaulting an emergency worker following an incident on Saturday. She is reported to have bitten two PCs while they attempted to arrest her. She is due to appeal at Aberystwyth Magistrates’ Court on March 4.

In other incidents, a PC was kicked while attending a report of a mother assaulting her daughter in Pembroke Dock, and others were assaulted while at a domestic disturbance.

An officer and a sergeant were also kicked, punched and spat at after finding a teenager who had been reported missing.

Continue Reading

News

Stepaside: Residents group seeks to stop building of 80 houses

Published

on

A PLANNING application is causing controversy in south Pembrokeshire.

Stepaside and Pleasant Valley Residents Group have said that they are against 80 “houses” proposed on flood plain over the historical mine workings

The people living around Pleasant Valley have come together to keep their valley ‘pleasant’ and not developed by a remotely owned company just for profit.

The residents group was formed last year by local residents to oppose this planning application for the Heritage Park in Pleasant Valley, Stepaside.

Their Objection, submitted in October 2019 has raised awareness locally and the level of resistance has continued to grow with more and more people joining the mailing list and Facebook group.

The planning application, doubling the size of the Heritage Park in Pleasant Valley may be given the go ahead as early as the Planning Committee on 10th March.

The project proposes to cover the whole area at the top of the valley with a significant development on land riddled with unmapped old coal mines and over a floodplain.

It includes around 80 accommodation units, some of which will, from historic experience in this kind of development, be used as permanent residences, and will surround, and discourage access to, an important CADW heritage industrial site with walks, trees and wildlife, the campaign group have said.

They told this newspaper: “The car parking and access to walks and woodland, that have been enjoyed by large numbers of local people and visitors for many years, will be restricted.

“It will increase light and noise pollution, which along with human activities will significantly repress wildlife such as rare bats, dormice, a wide range of shy birds – woodpeckers, owls, herons, dippers, treecreepers, etc. and proposes to remove trees at the very time we understand the importance of re-wilding our countryside and retaining mature trees.

The pressure group says that the proposal goes against the PCC recently published aim to encourage tourism development ‘while balancing this with the need to protect and celebrate the very features that make Pembrokeshire an attractive visitor destination.’

Ben Morris said: “Our objections are to protect this small community from over development and maintain the long held, access for local people and visitors to this heritage and wildlife area`. He added ‘If there is demand for more self-catering spaces there are many less sensitive sites where such developments could take places.

“The scheme is opposed by Friends of the Earth, Woodland Trust, other environment groups and a high proportion of local residents and visitors.

“Local residents wanting more information, or to join SPVRG should go to http://spvrg.wales”

The Herald has contacted the developer’s agent for a comment to the objections.

Continue Reading

News

Met Office: More rain and flooding warnings for Wales

Published

on

ALTHOUGH the severe weather associated with Storm Dennis has passed, there is further wet and windy weather to come this week.

With much of the ground around the UK saturated from heavy rain over the last two weeks, further severe weather warnings are in force for some of the worst hit areas. Yellow National Severe Weather warnings for rain have been issued for southern and north west Wales on Wednesday evening and through Thursday.

Chief Meteorologist Andy Page said: “Further rain will arrive on Wednesday evening and this is likely to become prolonged and possibly heavy over areas of high ground. For example, there is a chance that 60mm of rain could fall in parts of south Wales over 24 hours. With the ground already saturated there is a chance of further flooding, members of the public should check their flood risk and stay up to date with flood warnings from Natural Resources Wales, SEPA, NI Direct and the Environment Agency.”

Blustery showers will continue through the day on Monday and Tuesday, particularly in the west, these showers are likely to fall as snow over higher ground especially in Scotland over 200m in elevation. Although there will be sunny spells for many, thunder and hail could accompany the heavier showers.

Under clear skies on Tuesday night pockets of frost are likely as more settled conditions associated with a brief ridge of higher pressure pass through.

Rain and increasingly strong winds will move in from the west on Wednesday morning spreading across the whole of the UK through the day. Rain will be persistent and heavy at times in Wales and north western England overnight and a further front will move through on Thursday bringing heavy downpours.

Storm Dennis brought wet and windy conditions after what was an unsettled week, with Storm Ciara bringing stormy conditions the weekend before. South Wales saw the most rain from Storm Dennis, with 157.6mm recorded at a Natural Resources Wales site in Crai Resr, Powys, between midnight on Saturday morning to 10:00 this morning (17 February). The highest wind speed recorded during the storm was 91mph on Saturday evening at Aberdaron, Gwynedd.

Continue Reading
News15 hours ago

Nine Dyfed-Powys Police officers assaulted in one weekend

NINE Dyfed-Powys Police officers were assaulted in five incidents over the weekend, including a Special Constable who was bitten while...

News16 hours ago

Stepaside: Residents group seeks to stop building of 80 houses

A PLANNING application is causing controversy in south Pembrokeshire. Stepaside and Pleasant Valley Residents Group have said that they are...

News1 day ago

Met Office: More rain and flooding warnings for Wales

ALTHOUGH the severe weather associated with Storm Dennis has passed, there is further wet and windy weather to come this...

News2 days ago

Public should ‘be alert’ as flood water causes disruption across Wales

NATURAL RESOURCES WALES is warning people to be alert as flood water causes disruption across Wales. Coastal areas in west...

News5 days ago

Farmer Sean Burns has been given a 20 weeks custodial sentence

THE FARMER behind the ‘farm of horrors’, Bramble Hall Farm, in Pembroke has been sent to prison following a sentencing...

News5 days ago

Rear windscreen smashed, Haverfordwest

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is investigating after a car window was smashed in Haverfordwest. The red Volkswagen Golf was parked in Castle...

News6 days ago

Cabinet recommends 5% Council Tax rise

AT ITS meeting on Monday this week, the Council’s Cabinet decided to recommend a Council Tax rise of 5% for...

News6 days ago

A new future for tourism in Pembrokeshire revealed

OVER the last 12 months the Destination Pembrokeshire Partnership (DPP) – comprising Pembrokeshire Tourism, Pembrokeshire County Council, PLANED and the...

Community7 days ago

Trecadwgan farm to be sold by auction

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has decided to sell Trecadwgan Farm by way of public auction. The Council’s decision has been made...

News7 days ago

Robbery in Narberth – witnesses sought

POLICE are appealing for witnesses to a robbery which took place in Narberth on Wednesday, February 5. A 17-year-old reported...

Popular This Week