Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Board looks to advance cancer plans

Published

on

lynA DOCUMENT released by the Local Health Board and sent to the Pembrokeshire Herald has revealed the extent of the deceit previously practised by the Board towards local cancer services fund raisers. 

The document states that NO business case for the construction of a CDU has ever been presented to the Welsh Government by the Board. This means that assertions made in the past to campaigners that the construction of a CDU was near were pie in the sky promises which the Board knew – or should have known – that it was not in a position to fulfil. In addition, the Board has not provided any guarantees that oncology services will be developed at Withybush at all.

The Board has expressed its commitment to improving cancer services at Withybush only in conditional terms and made no outright promise to provide those services at Withybush. Instead of a written and firm commitment the Board said: “We are unable to provide you with a fixed timescale for the work to begin at this stage. A plan is being developed which requires the movement of other services within the Withybush Hospital site. Progress is also dependent on a robust service model for the provision of oncology services within Pembrokeshire which as you know is being addressed by a Review Group.”

Cancer campaigners at the meeting were also aghast at the Board implying that oncology services will not be provided at Withybush at all. On the one hand the Board has said that the provision of a Cancer Day Unit is “a major objective for the Pembrokeshire County Team”, the same document injects an element of doubt by saying: “Should the new unit be created within the Withybush site …”

The conditional nature of the last expression continues to cause considerable disquiet among the county’s campaigners. At its Executive Board meeting at Withybush on July 24, local authority representative Simon Hancock commented upon the Health Board’s failure to reassure cancer campaigners: “The Chemotherapy Day Unit and Ward 10 are not just the elephants in the room, they are a whole herd of elephants in the room. “The Board has got to regain public trust.” Local campaigner Lyn Neville says that the failure of the Board’s communication strategy in Pembrokeshire was acknowledged by the Board’s new Chair Bernadine Rees at the meeting of the Oncology Services Committee on Monday, August 4.

Lyn Neville told the Herald that he was aware the Board had lost the confidence of people in Pembrokeshire and she was very keen to regain and develop trust with the community. “In response to my direct question, Bernadine Rees not only said that improved cancer services would be provided but that they would definitely be provided at Withybush. There is a project group meeting on September 8 and I am hopeful that the Board will finally provide a firm public commitment on this matter without any reservations whatsoever. “It appeared to me that there are encouraging signs that Bernadine Rees means what she says on this topic. It is about time the Board got moving and reassured Pembrokeshire that the commitment to a CDU and improvements to Ward 10 at Withybush will be delivered upon.”

 

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Tomos

    September 14, 2014 at 1:58 pm

    I’ve had ppl slating me as they think it’s a complaint about the medical staff in Withbush – IT IS NOT – they do a great job with the resources given them by over paid pen pushers.

    in the 80s/90s Maggie Thatch cut services and budgets to the bone, Blair only in his second term started spending money, even throwing money at the NHS to try and catch up with “civilised” countries – sadly a lot of this saw an increased over paid management structure – a bit like BPJ and the councils once again comparing themselves with the private sector just because they have large budgets to administer.

    Now we’ve had cuts again it’s the drugs, the treatment, the old and the sick that are suffering – that management structure hasn’t changed – they’re bomb proof – we’ve even seen trusts where ppl have in their hundreds have died, managers have left with huge pensions (and golden goodbyes as it’s written into their contracts) then they miracously get better and go off and damage another health trust – SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE RESPONSIBILITY
    have another look at management structures, have another look at contracts which mean it’s nigh on impossible apparently to sack tem whatever they’ve done, have another look at salaries for the top 5%

    rant over 🙂

    PS Welsh politicians with their free parking and free prescriptions for all leaving even less in the pot for sick people have made things even worse than england and that’s saying something

  2. KevinSof

    March 17, 2026 at 1:30 pm

    Transparency is the cornerstone of any trustworthy CBD [url=https://www.cornbreadhemp.com/pages/what-s-the-recommended-dosage-for-cannabis-gummies ]What’s the recommended dosage for cannabis gummies?[/url] brand. From field to bottle, ethical companies record every stage of manufacturing. Certificates of analysis confirm cannabinoid levels and test for impurities like heavy metals and agrochemicals. Customers who demand this level of transparency drive the entire industry toward greater standards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview

Published

on

LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS

PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.

Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.

Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.

The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.

However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.

A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.

“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”

Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.

The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

Published

on

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON

FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.

Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.

Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.

A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.

Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.

Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.

Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.

The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.

A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.

Photo captions:

Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).

 

Continue Reading

News

Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks

Published

on

A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.

Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.

However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.

The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.

Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.

Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.

She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.

“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.

Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.

 

Continue Reading

Business12 hours ago

Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview

LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under...

Community12 hours ago

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair...

Local Government3 days ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community3 days ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime3 days ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community3 days ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government4 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community4 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime5 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News5 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

Popular This Week