Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Controversial council boss could receive a £320,000 pay-off

Published

on

Back to work: Bryn Parry Jones

Back to work: Bryn Parry Jones

ON THURSDAY afternoon (Oct 16), Pembrokeshire’s County Councillors will meet in what is likely to be a private session to discuss the terms of a settlement between the Council and its most senior employee, Chief Executive Bryn Parry-Jones.

The Pembrokeshire Herald understands that the sum likely to be on the table is in excess of £320,000.

While all councillors spoken to by this newspaper are staying tight-lipped about the potential terms of any settlement, a County Hall insider has told us the key components of any settlement.

After speaking with a public sector employment specialist, The Herald has established that in most Welsh local government contracts for senior staff, guidance  for calculating settlements indicates a gross payment of between three months’ to two years’ salary, based on seniority and overall length of service.

Bryn Parry-Jones would be at the upper end of the settlement framework.

Starting from that point (and stripping away other payments) Bryn Parry-Jones’ base salary is around £173,000.

In a settlement agreement it would also be usual to incorporate a provision for payment in lieu of notice. While this might vary depending on circumstances, the amount in lieu of notice would usually be around three months’ pay.

In local government contracts there is a provision for a payment in respect of other guaranteed payments additional to the base salary and these are often incorporated into the settlement agreement sum.

The Council would be obliged to deduct tax from the any part of the payment exceeding £30,000.

One potential sticking point is how the Council deals with Mr Parry-Jones’ pension. As things stand he would need the Council’s permission to draw any benefit from the scheme, as he opted out of it two years’ ago when the Council approved the unlawful payments scheme which has ultimately led to the current fracture between the parties. Mr Parry-Jones has previously told Councillors that he regards that issue to be far from closed. The Council ceased paying Mr Parry-Jones’ pension contributions (the unlawful pay supplement) around the time of the Extraordinary Meeting which discussed it on February 14, this year.

The overall position turns on how both sides view their risk exposure. An employer, particularly a County Council, will always need to bear in mind political as well as litigation pressure.

The prospect of a significant monetary settlement will weigh heavily upon councillors, who will bear in mind the likely outraged reaction of their constituents if Mr Parry-Jones walks away with what potentially equates to a 1% increase in Council Tax for every household in Pembrokeshire.

The prospect of further protests tomorrow about the settlement, as the Council tries to push through £50m in cuts, cannot be discounted.

The pay-off is due to be debated after 2pm.

Continue Reading
9 Comments

9 Comments

  1. Flashbang

    October 15, 2014 at 4:46 pm

    The damage that BPJ has done to the county over the years far outweighs any payment he gets. Let’s not forget his mismanagement of pretty much everything he’s had a hand in, his abuse of position and the personal slander on Councillor Mike Stoddart. He should have been sacked long ago were it not for the cosy arrangement he has with Jamie Adams which should be put under the microscope. The whole thing stinks to high heaven and beyond.

  2. Bob

    October 15, 2014 at 5:24 pm

    Someone please tell me this is a joke? I pray that councillors will see sense and NOT agree to any pay off, let the investigation take its’ course and then dismiss BJP for misconduct without compensation.

  3. Tomos

    October 15, 2014 at 7:14 pm

    Were all those “leaks” about 1.8 mill or 2 million even just spin to soften the blow so we think £300k is cheap?

    If I’d known it was this cheap I’d have sacked the ****** years ago

    PS Why pay him off honestly? Anyone who had done ONE of the many actions/decisions he’s made over the years would have resulted in any other employee of the council being sacked – not him, WHY?

  4. Andrew Lye

    October 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

    I understand why the photo always used shows him grinning.He will be the only person smiling in the County, having won the Pembrokeshire Lottery whatever agreement is reached.

  5. mark woodward

    October 16, 2014 at 10:26 am

    Since he has bought the council into disrepute, he should be sacked. No pay off, let him fight for it. End off matter. Thats how any other employee would be treated. Additionally his little buddy Jamie Adams needs to be suspended and fully investigated for his part in all of these shananigans.

  6. Paul Rutherford

    October 16, 2014 at 10:27 am

    I agree with Tomos, why should he get a payoff at all? Does he have some sort of ‘anti-sacking’ clause in his contract?

    The same sort of thing is happening at other councils, where it seems CE’s manage to get themselves fired with huge payoffs and then just move on to a recently vacated post.

    I believe this is happening at Wirral council, where their CE is going in a month or so. He’d better not come down here.

    Like most I know, I’m furious.

  7. Paul Cardin

    October 16, 2014 at 11:00 am

    Presumably, he won’t just be paid off; he’ll be gagged and given a clean bill of health to take with him – inside a compromise / settlement agreement.

    Here’s a survey of 345 English councils (which includes a link to £32 million worth of pay offs in Wales).

    Within, there’s approx. £226 million worth of compromise agreements with gagging clauses, over a six year period. It makes up one helluva big lump under the grubby “public sector carpet:

    http://wirralinittogether.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/2519/

  8. CJ

    October 19, 2014 at 9:12 am

    One word to describe this “disgraceful”.

  9. Ieuan Williams

    October 19, 2014 at 11:45 am

    All who voted for this pay off should consider themselves traitors to the People of Pembrokeshire.
    Bryn is laughing all the way to the bank! an dour services must suffer for his pay off.
    Jamie and co hang your heads in shame!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Crabb slams Barclays Post Office cash opt-out

Published

on

PRESELI MP Stephen Crabb has criticised Barclays Bank’s ‘short-sighted’ decision not to allow its customers to withdraw cash from Post Office counters.

A new agreement has seen 28 banks and building societies sign up with the Post Office for three years from January. The agreement will see postmaster paid more to take in and dispense cash on behalf of these banks.  However, Barclays is the only bank to exclude cash withdrawal as part of the agreement.

Government ministers have been urging the banks to make greater use of the Post Office network so that bank customers will still be able to save and withdraw cash following a large number of bank branch closures.

Preseli MP Stephen Crabb, who has spoken out against bank closures and the shortage of free ATMs, said:

“This is another slap in the face from Barclays for its own customers.

“The Post Office has become essential to high street banking as banks have closed their doors, taking with them free ATMs. To not allow Barclays customers to withdraw money from the Post Office is a short-sighted decision, which will likely result in Barclays customers paying to take their own money out.

“Earlier this year I spoken in Parliament about the drive towards a ‘cashless society’ which goes against the needs of rural communities.

“I have now written to the Treasury Minister to ask him to challenge this decision by Barclays.”

Barclays customers currently make 1.2 million cash withdrawal from the Post Office each month.

Continue Reading

News

Pembrokeshire turns pink and blue for Baby Loss Awareness week

Published

on

CASTLE HILL Tenby, Manobier Castle and Pembroke Castle will be illuminated in pink and blue lights between 9 th and 15 th October to show Pembrokeshire’s support for Baby Loss Awareness Week 2019 (9 th to 15 th October).

The annual awareness week, now in its 17 th year, is an opportunity for bereaved parents, families and friends, to commemorate babies’ lives and break the silence around pregnancy and baby loss in the UK.

Nia Payne originally from Tenby, now living in Cilgerran, said: “We hope turning these landmarks pink and blue will spark conversations about baby loss and give local bereaved parents and families an opportunity to talk about their precious babies. Since our daughter
(Gwennie) was born sleeping in March of this year I have been shocked by the number of people that have experienced a pregnancy or baby loss, yet it is almost a taboo subject. I have reached a point were I enjoy sharing our story with people and keeping Gwennie's
memory alive. Trying to arrange these light ups has given me a focus while hopefully helping others to communicate about their personal experiences.”

All of the buildings and landmarks turning pink and blue for Baby Loss Awareness Week 2019 will be featured on the interactive map and the Facebook album Anyone in Pembrokeshire can share their photos of the landmarks on social media with the hashtag #BLAW2019.

Clea Harmer, Chief Executive of Sands (stillbirth and neonatal death charity), said: “Baby Loss Awareness Week is a unique opportunity for parents to commemorate their babies who died. I hope bereaved families in Pembrokeshire seeing these landmarks lit up pink and blue will feel less isolated and alone in their grief.

“Pregnancy loss or the death of a baby is a tragedy that affects thousands of people every year. It is devastating for parents and families and it’s vital they get the bereavement support and care they need, for as long as they need it.”

For further information about Baby Loss Awareness Week visit: www.babyloss-awareness.org

Continue Reading

News

Spooky celebrations and events at National Park

Published

on

THIS half-term a creepy concoction of events and activities will be taking place at all three visitor attractions run by the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority.

Carew Castle and Tidal Mill, Castell Henllys Iron Age Village and Oriel y Parc Gallery and Visitor Centre will all be hosting Halloween-themed events, from witch hunts to ghost tours and encounters with woodland fairies.

Events at Carew Castle and Tidal Mill will include Fireside Tales on 19, 20, 26 and 27 October, where guests will be invited to sit around a fire and listen to spooky tales and stories of brave knights and beautiful princesses.

For those interested in honing their sorcery skills, The Carew School of Witchcraft and Wizardry will open its doors to new pupils on 29, 30 and 31 October. The syllabus will include wand-making, discovering spirit animals, spell-casting and broomstick agility. For those in costume, there will be a competition at noon.
Ghost Tours of the Castle will also take place during this period.

At Castell Henllys the thinning of the veil between this world and the next will be celebrated on 31 October with Samhain – Haunted Henllys. With a variety of spooky activities on offer, including a Ghost Walk, the day will end with the spectacle of the burning of the wicker man.

Scary Fairy Fun on 28 and 30 October offers visitors the opportunity to meet the woodland fairies at Castell Henllys and take part in activities such as face-painting, storytelling and enchanted woodland crafts.
Those of a magical mindset might also be interested in attending Wizards and Witches on 29 October and 1 November, with magical crafty activities organised throughout the day.

Between 20 October and 3 November, Oriel y Parc Gallery and Visitor Centre in St Davids will host a Halloween Trail around the grounds and centre. The Trail will cost £2 per sheet and will run between 10 am – 4 pm each day.

For those seeking a less hair-raising half-term experience, places are still available for the Wildfowl of the Western Cleddau walk arranged to take place at Little Milford between 1 pm – 3 pm on 26 October. Guided by a Ranger, this gentle stroll along the banks of the Cleddau will offer the opportunity to see wading birds, such as the curlew and redshank. Children must be supervised and no dogs are allowed.

If culture holds greater appeal than the occult, two exhibitions, A Celebration of Contemporary Welsh Painting and The Cabinet of Curiosities will be hosted at Oriel y Parc during October and November, featuring top contemporary Welsh artists and members of the Carmarthen Artists’ Network respectively.

For details of all the events taking place in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park visit www.pembrokeshirecoast.wales/events.

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Crabb slams Barclays Post Office cash opt-out

PRESELI MP Stephen Crabb has criticised Barclays Bank’s ‘short-sighted’ decision not to allow its customers to withdraw cash from Post...

News5 days ago

Work set to begin on multi-million pound redevelopment at Llys-y-Frân Reservoir

WELSH Water is set to begin work on the highly anticipated redevelopment of Llys-y-Frân visitor attraction and recreation park, following...

News1 week ago

Pembroke: Yet another demonstration planned for Ashdale Lane over sex offender

PROTESTERS are promising another demonstration in Ashdale Lane, in Pembroke tonight (Sun, Oct 6). It will mark the fourth night...

News1 week ago

Community order for Pembroke Dock man who downloaded 6570 child abuse images

A 46-YEAR-OLD man who downloaded over 6,500 indecent images of children, has narrowly missed going to jail. Brett Johnson on...

News2 weeks ago

Rescued Falcon released back into the wild

THE oil-covered peregrine falcon rescued in August from Tenby was released back into the wild on Wednesday (Oct 2). At...

News2 weeks ago

Milford Haven: Hundreds gather to remember firefighter Josh

MILFORD HAVEN came to a standstill on Tuesday (Oct 1) as hundreds gathered to pay their respects to popular firefighter...

News2 weeks ago

Man accused of fathering six children with his daughter

A FATHER from south west Wales has gone on trial accused of raping his daughter 23 times and having six...

News2 weeks ago

Thomas Cook air hostess speaks to The Herald about her journey

WITH grounded flights and cancelled holidays, it’s been a stressful time since the collapse of Thomas Cook on Monday (Sept...

News2 weeks ago

Llanfyrnach: Community wind turbine was more than a decade in the making

AFTER a long and bumpy journey, a community group from North Pembrokeshire are finally about to install a 700kW wind...

News2 weeks ago

Father and daughter return to St Davids RNLI to thank rescuers

A FATHER and daughter who were rescued by St Davids RNLI volunteers earlier this month are returning to Pembrokeshire next...

Popular This Week