Community
Plea to save at-risk Anchorage day care centre
AN ONLINE plea to save a Pembrokeshire day centre from being closed has been lodged with the county council.
The Anchorage Day Care Centre in Pembroke Dock has been a “safe and happy place” for adults with learning difficulties and additional needs for decades.
In more recent years it has expanded to support elderly dementia sufferers.
But now the centre is expected to close, with services instead being offered elsewhere in the county, including Haverfordwest and Milford Haven.
A series of engagement events have taken place at The Anchorage recently, outlining the reasons and the options in continued service.
One parent, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “The parents and carers are all very upset at the way we have been treated, kept in the dark and then presented with what is a fait accompli to close the Anchorage, while at the same time going through the motions of a ‘consultation’ with us.
“The clients at The Anchorage have friendships with each other and staff going back decades in some cases.
“One young woman who attends ran out of the first meeting sobbing when she was told it was going to close. Another, at the second meeting, tried to address the meeting but was so chocked up at the thought of not seeing her friends anymore she could hardly speak.”
She added: “The Anchorage has been a respite in the day for parents and a safe, happy place for the clients.
“Everyone feels that the county council is not considering the feelings of the clients, most of whom are upset and frightened by change to their routine.”
Another person raising concerns said: “The centre is set to close as early as next month – meaning the sudden retraction of a service which, for many families in the area, is nothing short of a lifeline.
“I’m not sure PCC understand the gravity of the impact that closing the centre will have on the lives of many people, particularly the customers, some of whom may not understand or cope well with such a total upheaval of the familiarity of their daily routine.
“It’s so upsetting that the people who will be most affected by the closure of the centre are as much a part of the Pembrokeshire community as anybody else that the council claims to represent, and yet in this decision, I feel they’re not being seen as such.”
Since then, an online e-petition, on the council’s own website has been launched calling for it to stay open.
It says: “The centre provides day-care support to a number of vulnerable adults with varying levels of disability who are unable to process, and understand, the implications of such a decision.
“Some of those attending the centre have been doing so for over 20 years and continuity is a vital part of their lives. Removing this service will have nothing other than a huge detrimental impact on their health and mental wellbeing.”
The petition has attracted 284 signatures to date.
A Pembrokeshire County Council spokesman said: “Following the engagement sessions held with families and service users regarding the future of the centre on April 10 and 17 at the Anchorage, families said that they would like to maintain the Anchorage Day Centre and explained that they would write to the council in order to ask for the decision to be overturned.
“People who attend the service will be offered alternative care, all service users are currently having their individual care needs assessed by social work teams to fully understand which other services best meet those care needs.”
Community
National Gallery ‘art on your doorstep’ scheme withdrawn
PLANS for life-size artwork reproductions of many National Gallery masterpieces, including works by Turner, Constable and Cezanne, at locations throughout Pembrokeshire’s national park have been withdrawn.
In a Pembrokeshire Coast National Park application to the park’s own planners, permission was sought for the installation of 12 life-size National Gallery artwork prints on various locations in the national park, between June and November of this year.
Of the 12 locations for the ‘Art on your doorstep’ project, 11 would be on existing structures, the last on a self-standing structure at Oriel y Parc, St Davids.
Carew would see four artworks: Constable’s The Hay Wain, at the tidal Mill Bridge; Koninck’s ‘An extensive landscape by a road, with a river,’ in the car park opposite Carew River which overlooks the castle; Hans Holbein the Younger’s ‘The Ambassadors,’ in the national park workshop; and Turner’s The Fighting Temaraire, by the village’s war memorial.
Castell Henllys would feature two works: Cezanne’s Bathers, and Titian’s Baccus and Ariadne.
St Davids’ Oriel y Parc will feature Van Gough’s Wheatfield of Cypresses, and Canaletto’s The Stonemason’s Yard.
Porthclais would host Van Gogh’s Sunflowers, with Claude-Joseph Vernet’s A shipwreck in Stormy seas at Strumble Head.
Rosebush’s Tafarn Sinc would display Turner’s Rain, Steam, Speed, and a site at the skate park overlooking Tenby’s South Beach was planned to host Monet’s Bathers at La Grenoville.
National Park Building Conservation Officer Rob Scourfield made no adverse comments on the proposals, conditional on their removal in November 2026, but added: “Shame the famous Turner painting of Carew Castle isn’t included – not many locals know that he painted the castle.”
However, concerns about the scheme in its current form were raised by historic environment conservation service Cadw, saying the application “is inadequately documented and we recommend that additional information is required to enable a balanced decision to be taken [against planning guidance].”
It added: “It is unlikely that the proposed artwork will have any significant impact on the settings of the above scheduled monuments and any effect will be short-term. However, it should be noted that the location selected at Carew to display the Fighting Temeraire is inside the boundary of scheduled monument PE001 [Carew Castle].
“As such, the applicant should be informed that they need to contact Cadw, giving the precise location and how the picture will be mounted, to determine if scheduled monument consent is required before the artwork can be displayed.”
The application has since been withdrawn.
Community
Local faces appear on BBC Countryfile marking Sea Empress anniversary
Programme revisits Milford Haven 30 years after oil spill disaster
TWO well-known Pembrokeshire figures appeared on BBC television on Sunday (Feb 15) as Countryfile marked the 30th anniversary of the Sea Empress oil spill.
Phil Thompson, former public relations manager at the Texaco refinery, and Martin Cavaney, a freelance photographer who regularly works with The Herald, were among those featured during the programme, which looked back at the disaster and its lasting impact on the county.
Presenters Datshiane Navanayagam and Hamza Yassin visited Milford Haven to explore how the area has recovered three decades after the tanker ran aground at the entrance to the waterway while carrying crude oil to the refinery.

The grounding of the Sea Empress on February 15, 1996 resulted in tens of thousands of tonnes of oil being spilled into the sea, contaminating large sections of the Pembrokeshire coastline and becoming one of Britain’s worst environmental disasters.
The programme also featured Mike Ryan, Harbourmaster at the Port of Milford Haven, who explained how the incident led to significant improvements in marine safety.
Ryan, who served for around 30 years in the Royal Navy before joining the port, said the disaster remains part of the waterway’s history and helped focus attention on the need for stronger procedures. This ultimately contributed to the development of modern safety systems, including the Port Marine Safety Code introduced in 2000.
Countryfile also examined the environmental recovery that has taken place since the spill, including work by scientists and conservationists to protect wildlife across Pembrokeshire’s coastline.
The Sea Empress disaster prompted one of the largest clean-up operations ever seen in Wales, involving salvage crews, emergency responders, volunteers and environmental organisations.
The anniversary remains a significant milestone for communities around Milford Haven, where memories of oil-covered beaches and wildlife continue to resonate 30 years on.
The programme is available to watch on BBC iPlayer.
Community
New corporate member joins Narberth & Whitland Rotary
NARBERTH & Whitland Rotary has welcomed its first Corporate Member.
On Wednesday (Feb 11), Stephen Vale, Insurance Broker Manager with Lloyd & Whyte in St Clears, was formally inducted at the club.
The induction ceremony was carried out by South Wales District Governor Ian Hughes, following an introduction by Narberth & Whitland Rotary President Robin Bradbury.
Corporate Membership recognises the increasing emphasis businesses place on corporate social responsibility, enabling companies to give back to their local communities through Rotary’s established structures and projects.
Rotary says corporate membership also offers opportunities for staff development, leadership experience, and involvement in fundraising and volunteering activities that deliver tangible benefits to the community.
Pictured (left to right): South Wales District Governor Ian Hughes, Corporate Member Stephen Vale, and Narberth & Whitland President Robin Bradbury.
-
Health4 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Business6 days agoComputer Solutions Wales under fire from customers
-
Charity6 days agoWelsh patient voices help shape new UK-wide online kidney forum
-
Community5 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Community6 days agoCalls for traffic calming in Neyland after car hits house
-
Crime2 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Crime6 days agoWoman admits two shop thefts and banned from town supermarkets
-
News7 days agoFresh concerns over £60m A40 scheme after resurfacing works just months after opening







