Politics
£1.5m for safe and warm hubs across Wales
£1.5m has been announced by the Welsh Government to support and expand safe and warm places for people of all ages to access within local communities.
The hubs, which are across Wales, provide spaces for people to be able to socialise and access services and advice over the coming months.
These have been variously referred to as Warm Hubs, Warm Welcome Centres, Warm Spaces, Croeso Cynnes and Cosy Corners.
The funding builds on what is already on offer at hubs in communities and will help support centres in several ways, ranging from offering refreshments and food, to funding additional opening hours, for activities such as exercise and art or to learn new skills.
These are inviting, open and inclusive places which are available for all in the community to benefit, with the focus being on identifying and delivering to local need.
The £1.5m will be distributed to local authorities, through the Welsh Local Government Association, for a range of venues including in the statutory and voluntary sectors such as faith, sport and community venues.
This investment is part of the wider Welsh Government package of support for people across Wales including the Discretionary Assistance Fund, Single Advice Fund Services, and Fuel Vouchers Scheme.
Over 850 spaces were established across Wales during late 2022 and early 2023, providing support to over 117,000 people. This funding helps build on that.
Social Justice Secretary, Jane Hutt said: “The £1.5m I am announcing today will help ensure there will continue to be places for people to go in local communities across Wales.
“They will support individuals and families, bringing people together and helping to combat issues such as loneliness and offer advice including on dealing with the cost-of-living, eligibility and accessing benefits.
“I have seen the important role these hubs have to play in the makeup of local areas, welcoming people of all ages and backgrounds. I am pleased we are providing funding which will help build on what we have previously provided, and which will see them continue to offer their important services for the benefit of the people they serve.”
Councillor Lis Burnett, Welsh Local Government Association Presiding Member said: “We are grateful to the Welsh Government for providing this funding which will help to ensure that these vital spaces are maintained.
“These hubs have provided a lifeline for many residents and families right across Wales. I’m pleased that this funding will enable councils to continue to deliver these spaces alongside the range of other support delivered locally. I would advise any residents who would like to find out more to get in touch with their local authority.”
David Barclay, Warm Welcome Campaign Director, said: “The Warm Welcome Campaign’s ambition is for everyone to find a place of connection in their community. These spaces are a lifeline for people, and we’re delighted that the Welsh Government is investing £1.5m to expand its support for inclusive, warm, welcoming, and safe spaces right across Wales.
“We know the demand for these hubs will be high and we look forward to working with the Welsh Government in raising awareness of these vital spaces.”
To find out more about hubs in your area please contact your relevant local authority
News
Government backs down after Reform legal challenge over postponed local elections
Ministers withdraw decision affecting 30 councils as court claim resolved
THE UK GOVERNMENT has withdrawn its decision to postpone local council elections in England scheduled for May 2026 after a legal challenge brought by Reform UK, according to official court correspondence seen by The Herald.
A letter from the Government Legal Department, dated Monday (Feb 16), confirms that the Secretary of State has decided to reverse the earlier postponement “in the light of recent legal advice”, meaning the elections will now proceed as planned in May.
The claim — Reform UK Party Limited v Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government — had been lodged in the Administrative Court in London.
The correspondence states that the Housing Minister, who had not been involved in the original decision, was asked to reconsider the position urgently due to the tight timetable. Following that review, ministers concluded that the elections should go ahead.
The Government has also indicated it will seek to agree an order with the claimant to formally dispose of the case and will pay Reform UK’s legal costs.
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage claimed victory following the development, writing on social media that the party had “taken this Labour government to court and won”.
He added: “In collusion with the Tories, Keir Starmer tried to stop 4.6 million people voting on May 7th. Only Reform UK fights for democracy.”
The Government has not publicly commented in detail on the claim itself, but the letter makes clear that the reversal was prompted by legal advice rather than a full court judgment.
The dispute centred on the proposed postponement of elections across 30 local authorities, a move which critics argued would have delayed millions of voters from going to the polls.
With the decision now withdrawn, preparations for May’s local elections are expected to proceed as normal.

Local Government
Pembrokeshire gypsy and traveller pitch increases approved
AN INCREASE in pitch fees and sewerage service charges for gypsy and traveller site in Pembrokeshire has been backed by senior councillors.
At the February meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet, members were asked to back proposed increases in pitch fees and water and sewerage service charges for gypsy and traveller sites for the forthcoming financial year.
Pembrokeshire manages five Gypsy and Traveller sites with 83 pitches, 77 currently occupied at: Castle Quarry, Under the Hills, Kingsmoor, Waterloo (with one tenant) and Withybush.
“Historically in Pembrokeshire, the basis for increases to Gypsy & Traveller pitch rents and water charges has been to uplift charges annually by CPI inflation,” the report said, adding: “The intention is to continue with this approach. However, it is worth noting that rent levels are currently very low in comparison to the cost that is needed to run, maintain and improve the condition of the sites.
“In addition to this, out of the 21 council-run Gypsy and Traveller sites in Wales, Pembrokeshire has one of the lowest pitch rent figures. It therefore stands that PCC must therefore increase pitch fees.”
It says investment to improve the sites is taking place, but more investment is needed, with Welsh Government grant funding having been previously secured, £1.005m for 2024-2027, with £278,585 works completed, £335,004 works ongoing to be completed by March 2026, and a further £848,397 works planned for the next two years.
It said it was intended to continue applying for funding, but, if it was not available it would have to come out of the council’s own coffers.
“Without increases to rent levels plus additional investment, we will see a decline in our site conditions as budgets for maintenance will need to be reduced to meet cost reduction/efficiency targets.”
It says the pitch rents, charged over 48 weeks, are currently £55.45 per week, and £84.24 per week for new pitches in Kingsmoor, for all Pembrokeshire sites with the exception of the Waterloo Site, at £65.62 per week.
It says water and sewerage charges are currently £12.78 per pitch per week (48 weeks) for all sites except Waterloo, at £13.09 per week; in 2024-’25 the full year charges increased to £164,653.06, with £38,905.86, costing the council £125,747.20 for water provision (including sewerage).
“It is estimated that figures for 2025-2026 will see a slight reduction in the subsidisation down to £121,158, but it is recognised that this level of subsidy cannot continue without urgent review of the position.”
Members backed a 3.8 per cent increase in pitch fees to £57.56 for Under the Hills, Castle Quarry and old pitches on Kingsmoor, £87.44 for new pitches on Kingsmoor, and £68.11 for Waterloo.
It also backed water and sewerage charges from £12.78 to £14.24 for Withybush, £16.60 for Kingsmoor, £16.60 for Castle Quarry, and £13.09 for Waterloo to £60, the high cost of the latter currently being investigated.
Community
Hywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
DECISIONS following Hywel Dda University Heath Board’s recent consultation on nine of its services, which includes 22 alternatives to the initial options proposed, are to take place at a special two-day extraordinary meeting next week.
Last year, the Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.
It said its Clinical Services Plan focuses on nine healthcare services that are “fragile and in need of change”.
At the launch of the consultation it said the services, and potential changes at the four main hospitals of Haverfordwest’s Withybush, Carmarthen’s Glangwili, Llanelli’s Prince Philip and Aberystwyth’s Bronglais, would see no changes to how people access emergency care (A&E) or minor injury care as part of the consultation, with an ongoing separate consultation on minor injury care at Prince Philip.
These nine clinical services were selected because of risks to them being able to continue to offer safe, high-quality services, or care in a timely manner, the board has previously said.
The proposed changes, with many different options in each of the nine services across the area, could mean some hospitals gaining or losing services, along with community site options in some cases.
An independent consultation report prepared by Opinion Research Services is part of the information the Board will consider on February 18 and 19; with more than 4,000 questionnaire responses in addition to the feedback shared at public events, staff meetings and stakeholder sessions.
During the consultation, communities shared an additional 190 alternative ideas for the services, which have been narrowed down to 22.
These will be considered alongside the options that were shared during the consultation, with members also considering whether further engagement, or additional information may be required, before a final decision is made.
Of the nine areas, critical care has three options, and one alternative; dermatology four options; emergency general surgery, two options and two alternative; endoscopy, three options and one alternative; ophthalmology, three options and six alternatives; orthopaedics, four options and five alternatives; stroke, two options and two alternatives; radiology, four options and four alternatives; and urology, one option and one alternative.
Dr Neil Wooding, Chair of Hywel Dda University Health Board, said: “At our meeting next week, the Board will carefully consider the consultation feedback alongside the latest clinical evidence, workforce insights, updated impact assessments and the alternative options that were put forward during the consultation.
“Our responsibility is to consider the full range of evidence and ensure we make decisions that ensure that our services are sustainable for the future. No decisions have been made ahead of the Board.
“We are committed to a thorough and transparent process, ensuring each option and alternative options are considered in the round, and focused on improving services for the people who rely on them.”
The first day of the two-day event will be dedicated to reviewing the evidence and considering the options in detail, with decisions on the second.
-
Health5 days agoHealth Board to decide future of nine key services at two-day meeting
-
Community6 days agoFacebook ‘news’ site targeting Herald editor collapses after community backlash
-
Crime3 days agoFour arrested in armed police operation across Pembroke Dock
-
Community13 hours agoHywel Dda hospital services decisions will be made next week
-
Crime5 days agoPublican admits supplying cocaine and cannabis at Crown Court
-
Education3 days agoSchool in special measures after inspectors raise safeguarding and leadership concerns
-
Climate6 days agoPlans for £40m Newgale coastal road upgrade put on hold
-
Community6 days agoStudents win King’s Trust award for transforming vandalised subway










