News
Cancer care questions continue
• Health Board cancer service ‘propped up’ and ‘unsustainable’
• Will cancer care be cut and moved to Carmarthen?
“HYWEL DDA do have a serious problem with their oncology services. They currently employ two oncologists to serve a population of 250,000 persons.
“They rely on visiting Swansea consultants to prop up their service. This is unsustainable. “Furthermore oncology has become so specialised that it is no longer possible to be a general oncologist treating all types of cancer. “It is my view that Hywel Dda should employ sufficient oncologists to allow patients with common cancers to be treated at one hospital in the Health Board. “Patients with rarer cancers will need to travel to Swansea to a consultant who is sub specialised in the rarer cancer types. This is the way that oncology is developing across Europe.” The words of Professor John Wagstaff, the Programme Director in Medical Oncology for the Wales Deanery, the Postgraduate School for Medicine and Dentistry and the body responsible for commissioning, quality assurance and supporting the education and training of trainees, hospital doctors, GPs, dentists and DCPs throughout Wales. We asked the Health Board to respond to Professor Wagstaff’s views and we were directed to the comment it had already made about cancer services in Pembrokeshire last week: “Hywel Dda University Health Board is fully committed to the achievement of a new Chemotherapy Day Unit for Pembrokeshire which will realise the time, effort and investment that has been made by those fundraising in the county. The capital build is only part of the challenge as all service/units that we provide require a review of staffing to ensure that they are sustainable in the long term. “We continue to work hard with colleagues, partner organisations and stakeholders, including our charitable fundraisers, to ensure we provide the best care possible for cancer patients and will continue to work closely with them on the development of the new Chemotherapy Day Unit.” That response does not, however, address one inconsistency in the Health Board’s approach. The head of oncology at the Wales Deanery says that the current service model cannot be sustained and that services need to be centred in one location in relation to cancer services. Taking the Board’s press statement above at face value, it contemplates ignoring Professor Wagstaff’s view, albeit one expressed in a personal capacity. However, the Board continues to press ahead with its even more controversial plans relating to the SCBU, which it claims it is obliged to carry out due to Deanery advice on service provision. Most tellingly, it appears that the advertisement for a cancer specialist doctor at Withybush will be precisely the type of general post that Professor Wagstaff states is no longer appropriate. A Health Board spokesperson also said: “We are currently undertaking a review of Oncology Services which about strengthening and modernising local services providing high quality, safe, effective treatment and care as close to patient’s home as possible. “The review board includes in its membership oncologist from ABMUHB with whom we have a long standing contractual relationship to deliver oncology services. The board will consider a range of views from different clinical staff. The board also includes members of the CHC. “This process is not about reducing the service we offer but is about creating a more sustainable, high quality service. This may mean the way we deliver cancer services may change.”
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime5 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime3 days agoMilford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident






Tomos
July 23, 2014 at 8:55 am
for how long will carwyn Jones and the apologists (usually well paid spin doctors from these trusts) give us the usual clap trap – The welsh are sicker – as an excuse for the worst cancer survival rates in ANY modern country in the World including Eastern europe and even some African countries
Let’s not forget when an especially outrageous or sad story is picked up by the media that well known phrase – Lessons have been learnt – (usually they mean we’ll bully whistle blowers even more to shut up as it’s slightly embarassing for our £200k pa boss)
DavidTwera
March 13, 2026 at 9:41 am
The investigation behind CBD [url=https://www.cornbreadhemp.com/pages/store-locator ]cbd near me[/url] has advanced dramatically in modern years. Scholars have pinpointed over a hundred cannabinoids in the hemp plant, each with unique properties. Cannabidiol excels for its non-intoxicating character and expansive range of studied applications. As laboratory trials advance, our grasp of this molecule only intensifies.