Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Top News

Scam warning as fraudulent callers claim to be from council

Published

on

phonePEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Trading Standards officers are calling for residents of Fishguard and Goodwick to remain vigilant regarding suspicious phone calls claiming to be from either the town or county council. 

In some instances the caller has stated that the reason for the call is concerning an insurance claim for an accident.

Councillor Huw George, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Environmental and Regulatory Services said: “If you, or a member of your household, have not even had an accident then it is clearly a bogus call. If you have an ongoing insurance claim, contact your insurance company direct to verify a suspicious insurance call.”

The authority reminds residents not to provide any details to supposed callers from the Council unless first carrying out a check to verify that the call is genuine. To do this, ask the caller for their name and job title, put the phone down and after a few minutes telephone the Council switchboard on 01437 764551 and ask to be put through to the person.

The council highlight that residents and businesses can register for free with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) which would make it unlawful for unsolicited telesales calls which originate in the UK to phone the registered number. It is worth bearing in mind, however, that Ofcom’s TPS cannot prevent calls from overseas, market research calls or fraudulent calls.

To register online with the TPS, log onto: www.tpsonline.org.uk or phone: 0845 070 0707.

If you are already registered with the TPS and receive a telesales call or have previously told a business not to contact you again but they ignore your request, you can report it to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) on: 0303 123 1113.

If you wish to report a suspicious or nuisance call or to find out more about your consumer rights, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service helpline on 0345 4040506 or 0345 4040505 to speak to a Welsh speaking advisor.

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Further coronavirus restriction relaxations brought forward

Published

on

FURTHER changes to the coronavirus restrictions have been announced by the First Minister Mark Drakeford today.

The Welsh Government has confirmed further relaxations will be brought forward from 17 May to 3 May – including the resumption of indoor supervised activities for children, indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults, such as exercise classes, and the re-opening of community centres.

This means Wales will have completed the move to Alert Level 3 by Monday 3 May.

From Saturday 24 April, the rule of 6 will allow for up to six people from six households to meet outdoors, not including children under 11 years of age or carers from those households.

The Welsh Government has also confirmed the relaxations that will take place on Monday 26 April. Outdoor attractions, including outdoor swimming pools, funfairs and theme parks, will be allowed to reopen, while outdoor hospitality can also resume, including at cafes, pubs and restaurants.

Organised outdoor activities for up to 30 people will be able to take place and weddings receptions can begin again outdoors for up to 30 people.

Wales has the lowest coronavirus rates of the UK nations.  The successful vaccine programme continues with a higher proportion of people vaccinated in Wales than other nations of the UK for both first and second doses.

Changes from Monday 3 May:

  • Gyms, leisure centres and fitness facilities being able to reopen;
  • People will also again be able to form extended households with one other household.

Relaxations planned for 17 May will be brought forward to the 3 May, including:

  • The resumption of indoor supervised activities for children;
  • Indoor organised activities for up to 15 adults (such as exercise classes and swimming lessons);
  • And the re-opening of community centres.

The First Minister said:

“The sacrifices we have made continue to show results. By us all working together and sticking to the rules, combined with our vaccination programme, mean we continue to make progress. Rates of the virus continue to fall and the public health situation is improving. 

“Due to these efforts we are able confirm more easing of the restrictions from 26 April and for early May we are again able to bring forward some of our plans. However, this progress is dependent on all of us continuing to work together to keep Wales safe.

“At the last three-week review, I set out a forward-look of how the restrictions could continue to be lifted in the weeks ahead, if the public health situation remains stable.

“It will be for the incoming Welsh Government to confirm these arrangements at the next three-week review, which will be held on May 13 – a week after the election. It is my assessment that the hospitality sector – bars, pubs, restaurants and cafes – will be able to open indoors from May 17, together with all other tourist accommodation, indoor entertainment and attractions.”

Further possible easements are subject to the public health situation remaining favourable.

Continue Reading

News

Tragedy above Milford Haven takeaway

Published

on

DYFED POWYS POLICE has confirmed that a 20-year-old male passed away in Milford Haven last Saturday, April 17.

Police were called to the USA Fried Chicken store on Charles Street at around 1:30pm but have said there are no suspicious circumstances.

A Herald reporter was at the scene and witnessed a number of police cars and an ambulance while plain-clothed officers were also seen.

HM Coroner has been informed.

A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson added: “We were called to Charles Street in Milford Haven on Saturday 17 April at approximately 1.34pm to reports of a medical emergency. We attended the scene with one emergency ambulance where we assisted colleagues from the police.”

Continue Reading

News

Joinery learner through to Screwfix Trade Apprentice of the Year Finals

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COLLEGE joinery learner, Conor Ratcliff has made it through to the final ten in this year’s Screwfix Trade Apprentice of the Year competition.

Now in its seventh year, the competition celebrates the next generation of tradespeople as they start out on their career. With over 2,500 nominations, Conor was shortlisted to the top 30 where he had to deliver a video presentation to industry-leading judges and trade body representatives. Judged on professionalism, creativity, innovation, enthusiasm and knowledge of their trade, Conor impressed the judges and is now in the final 10.  

Simon Jackson, Screwfix Customer and Digital director, commented: “Every year we are amazed by the outstanding quality of entrants and, this year, we are on the lookout for apprentices who go above and beyond to succeed within their chosen trade.

“We’ve seen how this career-boosting accolade and £10,000 prize bundle helps kickstart an apprentice’s career. I’d like to wish everyone through to this stage the best of luck!”

The prize package includes everything a future tradesperson may need to start up their own business including £5,000 of tools, a £3,000 training budget and £2,000 worth of technology. The college where they study will also receive £2,000.

Conor is thrilled to have made it through to the finals and commented: “I am extremely honoured to have made it this far in the competition and I am very excited for the final event. It would be an amazing opportunity for me, if I won this competition.

“I hope it encourages more people to consider an apprenticeship in a trade, the Carpentry and Joinery department have been incredibly supportive during my studies.”

The Final is due to take place imminently where the judges will conduct an online interview with the ten finalists before selecting and announcing their overall winner.

Continue Reading
News7 hours ago

Further coronavirus restriction relaxations brought forward

FURTHER changes to the coronavirus restrictions have been announced by the First Minister Mark Drakeford today. The Welsh Government has...

News19 hours ago

Tragedy above Milford Haven takeaway

DYFED POWYS POLICE has confirmed that a 20-year-old male passed away in Milford Haven last Saturday, April 17. Police were...

News2 days ago

Joinery learner through to Screwfix Trade Apprentice of the Year Finals

PEMBROKESHIRE COLLEGE joinery learner, Conor Ratcliff has made it through to the final ten in this year’s Screwfix Trade Apprentice...

News2 days ago

Pembroke Dock: Trial date set in historical rape case

A 69-YEAR-OLD man, charged with nine counts of raping a girl under the age of 16 in Pembroke Dock, will...

News2 days ago

Milford Haven man admits string of sexual assaults at Crown Court

A MILFORD HAVEN man has pleaded guilty to five sexual assaults, four involving a girl under the age of 16...

Community2 days ago

Pembrokeshire RNLI crew member completes seven marathons in seven days

BYRON GREY, 21, an RNLI volunteer at Little and Broad Haven has run 186 miles across the Pembrokeshire coast, raising...

News3 days ago

Volunteers needed to stop wallies ‘harassing’ Walrus

A LOCAL marine wildlife group has issued a social media plea for people to come forward and help protect ‘Wally...

News3 days ago

Police confirm they are investigating fatal house fire in Haverfordwest

A HOUSE fire in Siskin Close, Haverfordwest last night sadly resulted in a fatality, Dyfed-Powys Police have confirmed. A spokesperson...

News3 days ago

Multi-agency response to house fire in Siskin Close, Haverfordwest

FIRE crews are attending a domestic fire in a property on Siskin Close, Haverfordwest. As of 11.45pm on Monday evening...

News3 days ago

Outdoor hospitality given go-ahead and rules on mixing outdoors relaxed in Wales

SIX people will be able to meet outdoors in Wales from Saturday 24 April while outdoor hospitality will be allowed...

Popular This Week