Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Tasker and co miss out after crash

Published

on

Fast start: GB four-man had been destined for a medal (Pic. Mike Varey)

Fast start: GB four-man had been destined for a medal (Pic. Mike Varey)

GREAT BRITAIN’s hopes of a first World Championship medal since 1939 ended in disappointment on Sunday after a third run crash saw them miss out on the podium in Igls, Austria.

Lamin Deen, Ben Simons, Bruce Tasker and Joel Fearon had been in fourth place overnight and looked to set to jump up the leaderboard until they derailed as they were moving to within a whisker of the gold medal spot.

The crash saw them miss out on Run 4 but fellow Brits John Jackson, Brad Hall, John Baines and Andy Matthews continued their improvement across each heat to finish 11th overall.

“It’s obviously hugely disappointing for those four guys to see things end that way but they are strong characters and I have no doubt they will bounce back from this and be better for it,” said GB Bobsleigh Performance Director, Gary Anderson.

“They have shown they are truly world-class and we need to make sure we remember that as we build towards the next Winter Olympics in two years’ time. They were on course to be within a tenth of a second of the leaders at the end of Run 3 and would have been ahead of the eventual gold medallists going into the final run.

“That realisation brings an added disappointment but that is the nature of elite sport and it is something everybody has to deal with at some point in their career.

“Jacko, Brad, John and Andy did exceptionally well to move up from a starting position of 17th to 11th and that is further proof that we have real strength in depth in the British programme now. I have said since I started in 2010 that we need strong internal competition and that’s a real positive to take forward towards Pyeongchang.

The team had gone into the final day confident of securing a medal after Tasker and Fearon finished fourth in the 2-man competition last weekend – the nation’s best result in that discipline for fully 50 years.

The confidence that success brought to the camp had been clear for all to see but speaking ahead of the 4-man race Tasker insisted the mentality of getting things right from the off was exactly the same seven days later.

“It was the same situation as the 2-man – we knew we had to start fast so that was our focus,” said Tasker.

“We had a solid first run that put us in the mix and we really fought hard in difficult snow conditions to get a decent start in the second run when many of the other teams were dropping off. I’m happy that we improved our start time position on the second run because it’s difficult to do that some times.

“The key now is to keep improving.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Sport

Haverfordwest County ask fans to stay away as football returns to Bridge Meadow

Published

on

HAVERFORDWEST COUNTY has asked fans not to attend the Bridge Meadow Stadium today, March 6, as the club restarts its JD Cymru Premier campaign.

The Bluebirds take on Cardiff Met in a game that kicks off at 2:30pm but, like all fixtures in the Cymru Premier, the game is being played behind closed doors.

A club statement asks fans not to congregate outside the stadium and adds that there are ‘rigorous protocols’ for those who must attend.

A spokesperson said: “Haverfordwest County AFC would like to urge all fans to stay at home for (the) fixture against Cardiff Met. For the foreseeable future, all matches will remain behind closed doors.

“The club, along with Welsh Government guidelines, explicitly forbids the congregation of fans outside the stadium to watch the game. There are numerous precautions in place to ensure that those who must attend the game, stick to rigorous protocols to remain safe.

“All match highlights will be available post-match, via Sgorio. We look forward to welcoming fans back to the Bridge Meadow, when it is safe to do so.”

The Club says that this will apply to all future home matches.

Continue Reading

Sport

Signed Wales shirts gifted to RNLI go up for auction

Published

on

FOLLOWING a winning start to the Six Nations Tournament, the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) have scored a winning try for the RNLI, gifting six signed rugby shirts to help save lives at sea.

Each rugby shirt has been signed by the full WRU squad and are accompanied by a certificate of authentication – a winning prize for any Welsh rugby fan.

To avoid a ruck for the WRU shirts the charity has placed all six signed shirts on an online auction, ensuring a fair game for all who wish to win the golden prize. The auction will be live until Wednesday, March 31, which allows plenty of time for supporters to bid for the team in red.

Each signed shirt includes Wales Captain, Mumbles RNLI supporter and the most capped international player of all time Alun Wyn Jones; as well as Louis Rees-Zammit, the Man of the Match in the nail-biting Scotland v Wales game.

Nick Evans, RNLI Fundraising and Partnership Lead said: ‘On behalf of the charity I would like to say a big thank you to the Welsh Rugby Union for donating these fantastic prizes to the RNLI. RNLI volunteers are on call 24-7 and are often called away from important events such as family celebrations – or international rugby tournaments – to respond to the pager if someone is in trouble at sea.

‘Like all charities, 2020 was a challenging year for the RNLI when all traditional fundraising had to stop – all our shops were closed, there were no collections and all events had to be cancelled. This is why we at the RNLI are so grateful to all the team at WRU for their ongoing support. The auction is now live and we would like to encourage all Wales rugby supporters to throw the RNLI a lifeline and place their bid for the winning prize.’

To place a bid or find out more about the charity auction please visit https://www.jumblebee.co.uk/rnliwru.

Continue Reading

Sport

Five subs to be allowed for JD Cymru Premier clubs

Published

on

THE FAW’s National Leagues Board has confirmed that JD Cymru Premier clubs will be permitted to make five substitutions in matches, in accordance with the Laws of the Game, until the end of the 2020-21 top-flight season.

FIFA extended the use of the rule, which was first introduced following the COVID-19 outbreak, citing “player welfare” as part of the reason for the temporary amendment to Law 3 of the Laws of the Game.

FIFA stated that “Some competitions which resumed in 2020 may have a shorter-than-usual recovery/preparation period before the start of their next season.”

“For many competitions, the 2020/21 season will involve matches being played in a condensed period due to a delayed start and the inability to end later than usual because of major international tournaments.”

With the JD Cymru Premier set to restart on March 2, the National Leagues Board has approved the use of the rule in the JD Cymru Premier until the end of the current campaign.

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Council: Despite a rise Pembrokeshire still has lowest council tax in Wales

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCILLORS have voted to back a recommendation of a 3.75 percent increase in Council Tax for the coming...

News21 hours ago

Simon Hart MP says that First Minister is ‘reckless’ to say that the UK is ‘as it is, over’

THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR WALES, Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire MP Simon Hart, said that the First Minister for...

News2 days ago

Sergeant Hillier ‘died doing the job he loved’, says his heartbroken father

THE ARMY SERGEANT who died after being injured in a live firing exercise, has been named locally. The incident occurred...

News3 days ago

Welsh Guards sergeant shot dead during Castlemartin live-fire training exercise

A BRITISH ARMY sergeant was killed on Thursday night (Mar 4) in a shooting accident at Castlemartin Training Area, The...

Business3 days ago

Hospitality sector welcomes Budget boost

IT HAS been so long it seems since we could stand at a bar and enjoy a well-earned pint, but...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven-bound ‘flying oil tanker’ hits the national news

A MILFORD HAVEN bound oil tanker has made the national news, after a photograph taken off the Cornish coast made...

News4 days ago

Trial date for son accused of killing mum

THE SON of Judith Rhead, 68, who was found dead in her home in Market Street, Pembroke Dock on Feb...

Business6 days ago

Natural Resources Wales approves Ireland-UK interconnector licence

GREENLINK INTERCONNECTOR LIMITED says it welcomes the decision by Natural Resources Wales (NRW) to approve its application for a Marine...

News7 days ago

Milford Haven: Apocalyptic scenes as work truck catches fire in Meyler Crescent

A MILFORD HAVEN businessman says that he is “absolutely gutted”, after he lost his tipper truck in a dramatic fire...

News1 week ago

Covid-19 vaccination venues and timeline announced for everyone locally over 50

EVERY person in JCVI priority groups 5 to 9 will be offered a COVID-19 vaccination by 18 April, Hywel Dda...

Popular This Week