Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Up to 10,000 litres of heavy fuel was lost in jetty leak say Valero

Published

on

THE MULTI-AGENCY is continuing at the Port of Milford Haven following an oil pollution incident at the Valero Pembroke Refinery, harbour authorities have said.

Valero have today estimated that approximately 7.5-10m³ of heavy fuel oil had leaked overnight on 2/3rd January from a pipe connecting the jetty to the refinery but that by first light the leak had been contained.

That’s between 7,500 and 10,000 litres of fuel.

A  Port spokesperson told The Herald: “As soon as the incident was reported, just after midnight, we instigated our well-rehearsed oil pollution plan in which we have delegated command for the on-water clean-up of oil.  Multiple agencies including Natural Resources Wales, Pembrokeshire County Council, Maritime Coastguard Agency and Valero have been working with us since early hours on 3rd January to survey, clean-up and put in place measures to protect the environment and wildlife.

The spokesperson added: “The MCA are supporting the incident response through the loan of equipment to supplement our own assets.  The MCA are using their contracted surveillance and verification aircraft and the images provided by this equipment have assisted the teams to locate any surface oil, its direction of travel and dispersal.  The Port’s pollution vessel ‘Sea Sweep’ has patrolled and collected some surface oil; however most of the oil has naturally dispersed and the MCA report from this morning’s flight has confirmed this.

Mid and West Wales Fire Service has also assisted with the loan of drone equipment.

Booming is in place at Sandy Haven and teams are deploying booms around the Gann estuary near Dale, today.

Currently there have been sightings of oil on shore at Dale and Musselwick Bay.  A clean-up operation is underway and agencies will continue to monitor the surrounding shoreline over the coming days.”

Andrea Winterton, Operations Manager from Natural Resources Wales said: “Our priority continues to be to reduce the impact of the oil on the local environment.  We have officers positioned in key locations across the Milford Haven Waterway surveying for signs of pollution washing onshore.

The booms installed yesterday and this morning will remain in place until we are confident that the risk to wildlife and the sensitive saltmarshes has passed.

A full investigation is underway into how the oil entered the estuary and the findings of this will be shared once concluded.”

Members of the public are asked to be aware, avoid any beached oil if they discover it (particularly if they have dogs) and contact the Natural Resources Wales incident hotline on 03000 653000 if they become aware of any pollution on shore.

News

Former Cardigan Castle director sentencing delayed

Published

on

THE SENTENCING of a former director of Cardigan Castle who has pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft totalling over £40,000 has been delayed.

Former director, Jac Davies, pleaded guilty to charges of fraud and theft was due to be sentenced on Wednesday (May 4) at Swansea Crown Court – but has now been delayed.

Davies who held the £40,000 a year post fraudulently obtained £33,098.75 and stole a further £7,932.97 from the award winning restoration project..

Davies held his position at Cardigan Castle from September 2017 to November 2019.

The defendant has pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining £4,143.20 from the castle on December 21, 2017.

Again Davies admitted to fraudulently obtaining £28,955.55 between February 4, 2019 and November 3, 2019.

Two further charges of theft were also admitted – one charge of  theft from the castle of £1,908.18 between May 2, 2018 and May 24, 2019 and a further charge of theft from Cardigan Castle Enterprises to the sum of £6,024.79.

Dyfed-Powys Police conducted a year long investigation after being contacted by the castle board of directors.

Financial discrepancies were identified during financial monitoring.

An internal investigation was launched and Davies left his position within the castle in October 2019 following a disciplinary process.

Continue Reading

News

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

Published

on

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half years ago.

Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary (HMIC) found the force had documented just 87.6% of reported crime – meaning upto 4,400 crimes are not recorded each year.

The report highlighted that of violent crimes, 85.4% were registered, which means about 2,400 went unrecorded, some involving domestic abuse or the vulnerable.

The force said it had “plans in place to improve its crime recording.”

HMIC reached their conclusion by comparing the number of reports to the police with recorded numbers. About 35,900 were reported.

In 2018, HMIC found that our local force was too often not recording crimes. And in 2014 it was reported the force was one of the worst in the UK at recording crimes. 

Dyfed-Powys Police T/Chief Constable, Claire Parmenter was quick to respond to the shocking finding. In a statement emailed to The Herald she said: “We accept the concerns and recommendations published by HMICFRS in respect of crime data integrity. As an organisation, we are firmly committed to supporting victims and putting them at the heart of everything we do. The force has plans in place to improve its crime recording and I am determined we will get this right.

“Since the previous HMICFRS inspection in 2018 we have made significant improvements in our response to Domestic Abuse victims, creating the vulnerability desk which provides real time intelligence to officers attending incidents of Domestic Abuse and ensuring that safeguarding arrangements are in place through a new partnership hub. Recent audits in April evidenced we were achieving a 98% compliance for the completion of risk assessments. This ensures that every Domestic Abuse victim is looked after and kept safe.

“We have a programme of change already in place which will deliver significant process and cultural change. The elements of this programme will improve the forces’ ability to manage demand, support victims, improve the timeliness and quality of investigations and supervision of crime. HMICFRS were unable to take this project into account as part of this inspection. Delivery plans commence next month (June 2021).

“Since the date of this inspection, we are already seeing improvements as a result of the swift additional action we have taken, achieving 100% crime recording compliance in respect of anti-social behaviour for February and March 2021 which is positive.”

Continue Reading

News

Firefighters extinguish blaze at St Catherine’s Fort, Tenby

Published

on

A CONTROLLED wood fire earlier in the day caused a fire to break out on Tenby’s St Catherine’s Island on Thursday (May 6).

Heat that was caused by a wood fire earlier in the day caused a ignition on the unburned wood nearby that was needed to be extinguished by Tenby fire crew.

Taking to their Facebook page, St Catherine’s island thanked Tenby Fire Brigade for their assistance.

No serious damage was caused by the incident.

The spokesperson said: “A massive shout out to Tenby Fire Brigade last night who were called to the Island last night after we left following a long day working on the Fort and burning off all the old flooring, having now replaced it all. 

“We had spent at least half an hour making sure that our controlled barrel fire was out. Unfortunately the ground was so hot it transferred to the rest of the unburned wood. 

“Thanks to our amazing local Fire Service, they were on hand to help us out and no damage occurred.”

Continue Reading
News34 mins ago

Dyfed-Powys Police criticised for failing to record thousands of crimes

A SHOCKING new report says that Dyfed-Powys Police failed to record thousands of crimes, despite being told to improve two-and-a-half...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Mount estate death not being treated as suspicious say police

POLICE have confirmed that following a welfare visit to a property in Mount Estate, they discovered a male occupant, in...

Politics1 day ago

Pembrokeshire heads to the polls

THE ELECTIONS to the Welsh Parliament/Senedd Cymru take place today, Thursday (May 6). Over the last few weeks, we’ve published...

News1 day ago

Milford Haven: Man arrested following suspicious flat fire in Robert Street

DYFED-POWYS POLICE have confirmed that the force is investigating a fire which occurred at a property in Lower Robert Street,...

News2 days ago

Ongoing incident closes busy Haverfordwest road

A MAJOR road in Haverfordwest has been closed due to a police incident this afternoon (May 5) A man was...

News3 days ago

James Oulton found not guilty of 30 counts of sexual assault against 11 ex-pupils

JAMES OULTON, 34, the primary school teacher who was accused of 30 charges of sexual assault against pupils has been found...

News3 days ago

Nineteen arrests and weapons seized during knife crime action week

NINETEEN people were arrested and a number of weapons were seized as police took part in a national week of...

News3 days ago

Haverfordwest: Police investigate alleged assault, one man arrested and bailed

POLICE officers in Haverfordwest are investigating an incident where a woman was reportedly assaulted. The alleged attack took place at...

News4 days ago

Fisherman off Pembrokeshire coast airlifted to hospital with burn injuries

A FISHERMAN has been airlifted to hospital with second degree burns after suffering an injury while on a boat off...

Health4 days ago

Mark Drakeford in Milford Haven as pub tills ring for first weekend since December

As part of the easing of lockdown restrictions, hospitality business owners let out a sigh of relief this week after...

Popular This Week