News
Pressure brought to bear on Bryn witness

County Hall
THE PEMBROKESHIRE HERALD can reveal that Peter Morgan has discovered that pressure has more than one face and comes in more than one form over recent weeks.
On Saturday morning (Sept 27), after we published an article on-line based in part on a phone call that took place on Friday evening (Sept 26), Peter Morgan was contacted by members of the IPPG leadership. In those calls, Cllr Morgan was berated over his comments expressing support of David Simpson and those telling how pressure had been applied to him regarding the appearance he was then still due to make before the committee investigating allegations against the council’s CEO Bryn Parry-Jones.
When we spoke to Peter Morgan on Friday he told us: “I don’t do pressure.”
A member of the ruling group on Pembrokeshire County Council, Peter experienced pressure back in February. Having walked out of a meeting of the full council because he believed he had expressed a public opinion prejudging the issue to be debated (the future of Bryn Parry Jones), Peter – and Keith Lewis – were ordered back into the meeting by Deputy Chief Executive Ben Pykett as nobody had followed the pair on their trek to the moral high ground, and the IPPG might have lost the vote.
Quite what Mr Pykett thought he was doing interfering in the political activities of the council and the actions of its members is anyone’s guess.
After a subsequent council meeting, Peter Morgan was one of two councillors summoned to the presence of Chief Executive Bryn Parry-Jones and berated about voting against his personal interest in a vote.
Last Thursday, Peter spoke with his friend David Simpson. He told David about phone calls he had received and pressure that had been applied to him by members of the council’s leadership about evidence he was due to give about that incident.
Cllr Simpson was appalled by what his friend told him. He decided to resign as a result of what he had heard about the actions of Cllr Rob Lewis is seeking to influence Peter’s appearance before the investigatory committee.
Thankfully, due to the fact the editor’s office was locked on Friday evening when our chief writer was working on the report of Cllr Simpson’s resignation from the Cabinet and IPPG, he had to phone Cllr Morgan from The Pembrokeshire Herald’s sales room. In common with virtually all telesales rooms, calls made on the sales system are recorded.
On Monday (Sept 29), the same writer bumped into Peter Morgan outside Committee Room 2.
In the presence of another councillor, Cllr Morgan told him of the reaction to our online article. Phone calls had taken place on Saturday morning and Cllr Morgan left little doubt as to what those phone calls had been like and who had made them.
And after that Peter Morgan gave his evidence to the investigatory committee.
We cannot know what was said in private, but we can report the reaction to it.
After Cllr Morgan had finished his evidence he left Committee Room 2 with his fellow councillor and witness Mark Edwards. Shortly afterwards they were followed out by their friend and colleague David Simpson.
As it does not relate to evidence that was heard in Committee Room 2, we can safely report that whatever Cllr Morgan had told the Committee had caused Cllr Simpson to “have a face like thunder.”
Councillor Simpson asked Peter Morgan about elements of his evidence that varied sharply both from what he had said at Councillor Simpson’s home the previous Thursday and what he had told our reporter the following evening.
Councillor Morgan referred to the pressure put on him by – amongst others – Council Leader Jamie Adams. Jamie had told Peter that what he had said could mean the end of the Independent Group’s control of the County Council.
While this exchange took place the committee was in recess, and Cllr Mike Stoddart, then a member of the committee happened upon the scene. David Simpson left to fetch Keith Lewis, the Committee Chair so he could tell the chair the truth about what had happened.
Cllr Lewis reconvened the meeting to hear afresh from Cllr Morgan, only to find that – as he had once done on the rugby pitch – he had given his markers the slip and made a run for it.
Business
Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview
LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS
PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.
Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.
Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.
The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.
However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.
A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.
“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”
Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.
The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.
Community
Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event
HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON
FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.
Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.
Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.



A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.
Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.
Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.
Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.
The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.






A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.
Photo captions:
Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
-
News2 days agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime4 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News3 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime5 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime5 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News5 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime6 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime3 days agoMilford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident







sm1968
October 3, 2014 at 2:26 pm
So how long can this be allowed to go on, complete corruption, lies, and bullying of Council members by Jamie Adams and his crew. Just who the hell does that individual think he is. He really is one prceless piece of scum
John Hudson
October 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm
How will anyone be able to believe the Report to Council by the Investigative Committee – Whatever it says?
Who is going to write it and will they have been pressured?
Perhaps there may even be a deissenting report.
Tomos
October 3, 2014 at 9:43 pm
Jimmy Saville had better morals than this shower – I cannot for the life of me understand how ANYONE with a single decent cell in his body can support this shower UNLESS those thirty pieces of silver and the desire for more is ALL consuming 🙁
I DO realsie that Saville comment has echoes within the council as they sacked a whistle blower complaining about paedophilia and supported the pervert
Andrew Lye
October 6, 2014 at 9:53 am
Time some kids from schools were brought in to lead a seminar on bullying.
I guess they know more on what constitutes bullying, than some councillors (and possibly some officers?).
I am horrified that bullying occurs.
Mike Stoddart
October 6, 2014 at 11:27 am
I understand Cllr Morgan has now written to the disciplinary and investigation committee confirming that at no time was he ever put under pressure by Cllr Rob Lewis, or anyone else.
private jet charter for weddings
April 10, 2026 at 10:02 pm
I learned a lot from this article. Keep up the great work!