Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

‘No suspicious circumstances’ to the death of Roger Williams, say police

Published

on

Police presence: Pater Court on Oct 31

Police presence: Pater Court on Oct 31

THE POLICE investigation in Pembroke Dock has concluded that there are no suspicious circumstances to the death of 50-year-old Roger Williams, Dyfed-Powys police have confirmed. A force spokesman told The Herald: “The family of the deceased have been updated and HM Coroner has been informed.”

The spokesman added: “The three people arrested on Friday (Oct 31) [on suspicion of murder] have been released from custody without charge.”

A Home Office post mortem was carried out yesterday (Nov  1).

Paramedics were notified of an unresponsive man at a flat at Pater Court in Pembroke Dock at around lunch time, Friday (Oct 31). Mr Williams was reportedly lying unconscious in the hall way of a ground floor flat at Pater Court.

Speaking on Friday, Mark Whitefoot, the landlord of the Bush Tavern, next door to where Mr Williams died, told The Herald: “I saw the ambulance arrive, at around 1pm, and then saw the gentleman lying in the hall way of the flat. His head was pointing in towards the flat, and his feet were near the doorstep. The door was open and the paramedics were coming to and from the property. His shirt was open; the ambulance crew had obviously been working on him. But he had passed away.”

Tragic: Roger Williams, 50

Tragic: Roger Williams, 50

He added: “A few minutes later the police arrived in a riot van. There were suddenly a lot of police vehicles. Soon afterwards CID came into the pub and asked me to review my CCTV. I of course let them. It was shortly after that they arrested a female – she was really struggling with the officers – she didn’t want to be put into the van. She was practically fighting with them.”

A customer at the bar in his sixties seemed visibly shaken on Friday night. He said: “I know the people involved. I live nearby – I know the guy who has died; I am also very friendly with his brother. I also know some of those arrested.”

“It’s a tragedy”, he said.

Also on Friday night, across the road at Mega-Kebab, the stunned staff told our reporter that he had been told by several customers the name of the person who had died. A customer, who did not want to be named, said that he knew the gentleman; “It was Roger Williams – It’s terrible what has happened. I can’t believe that something like this could happen in Pembroke Dock.”

There was a police presence at the property overnight. Two officers are sat in a police vehicle keeping a watch on the property ensuring that the crime scene will not be disturbed.

Saturday’s Dyfed-Powys Police statement read: “We can confirm that  Roger Williams was found dead  on the afternoon of Friday October 31. Next of kin were informed and are being supported by family liaison officers.”

“We are asking for anyone who may have seen Roger, or been in the area of Pater Court, Bush Street or Law Street Pembroke Dock between 12:30pm and 1:20pm on Friday to speak to the investigation team by calling 101.”

“A Home Office post mortem will be carried out today (Nov 1) to help determine the cause of death. The police investigation is ongoing. Yesterday afternoon, one woman and two men were arrested on suspicion of murder. All three remain in custody and are being interviewed by Police.”

Pembroke Dock resident Paul Dowson, who works for The Herald, said: “I knew Roger Williams. He was a genuinely nice bloke. He will be missed.”

Continue Reading

News

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the second day of his trial.

James Oulton, 34, of Haverfordwest would put his hands around students’ waists and touch their bottoms, an ex-female pupil said in a video interview played to Swansea Crown Court.

The defendant denies 30 charges of sexual assault at a primary school in Haverfordwest. The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

On the opening day of the trial, court heard that Oulton said the case was a “witch-hunt” and that he always behaved appropriately with children.

On Tuesday, the jury watched the video interview with one of Oulton’s former pupils, who said he was a “friendly person, very chatty and sociable and quite outgoing and wanted to know everything that was going on.”

She added: “Mr Oulton often wanted to know a lot of details on what we had done over the weekend, where we had been, and also who they had been with.”

“At the time I just thought he was trying to be really friendly but now when I look back at it now, it does seem odd.”

The witness also described the defendant as a “very touchy-feely teacher”.

She added: “If he was marking your work or if you approached him to ask him a question, he would put his hands around your waist or around your bum”.

“If he was standing by his desk, he would, like, motion to his knee, so he wouldn’t ask you directly to sit on his lap but he would tap his knee.”

Swansea Crown Court heard that the witness eventually came forward and told her parents parents after she heard them speaking about Mr Oulton being suspended from his job.

“Did you feel under pressure to say something had happened to you?” asked Mr Clee.

The witness answered “No”

Oulton, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, previously told the court he had behaved appropriately.

He also believed letters were sent by Pembrokeshire County Council to parents which encouraged “deliberately false evidence” and collusion between pupils.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading

News

‘We don’t want it’: councillors object to HGV tanker park plans

Published

on

PEMBROKE DOCK town councillors have objected strongly to plans to build a HGV tanker park in the town.

The tanker park would be located on the south-western side of Criterion Way, behind the ASDA petrol station.

However, at a meeting of the town council’s Planning Committee on Tuesday, April 13, councillors were in agreement that it would create more problems for the town.

Councillor Jonathan George said: “I’ve noted the public input on this and they don’t seem very happy about where it’s going to be put.

“It is close to a small park area and I don’t think it’s suitable to put this here. I won’t be supporting this.”

Cllr George Manning added: “There are many aspects of this which are totally inappropriate for Pembroke Dock. There are many other sites available but they haven’t looked at any of them.

“This does not do anything for the Future Generations act and it will bring more disruption to the town.

“This does not bring about any improvements to the existing transport infrastructure. There are lots of things about this, we don’t want it. I don’t think they have looked into it in enough detail.”

Cllr Gordon Goff said that the impact it would have on the public and wildlife would be ‘astronomical’.

He went on to say he was not happy with one of the statements in the application and said they ‘don’t want to be blackmailed’.

One of the documents submitted with the application states that if the development was not approved it would mean that the applicants, Certas, ‘will either have to find a different site’ or ‘will have to cease operating in the area’.

Cllr Terry Judkins said that the Port Authority wanted to ‘use Pembroke Dock as a dumping ground’ and added that he could not support it.

Cllr Maureen Colgan added that she was ‘totally against’ the application and said that the area should be kept for leisure and be developed as an area where people can sit and enjoy themselves.

The application is due to be decided by Pembrokeshire County Council at a later date.

Cllr Paul Dowson has already called in the application for it to be debated by the County Council’s Planning Committee.

In his request he states that it is too near habitation, it is within the Pembroke Dock conservation area and that children have been using the area near the bandstand as play area for over 20 years.

The area had also previously been the subject of an application for a marina and other leisure facilities but that investment was written off in 2017.

Continue Reading

News

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

Published

on

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a witch hunt by the police, a jury has heard.

But at Swansea Crown Court on Monday (Apr 12), the Clare Wilks for the prosecution said that the defendant had “abused the trust of parents and staff” by sexually touching children in his care.

James Oulton, denies 30 charges of sexual assault against the eleven children who were aged eight or nine years old at the time.

The alleged offences took place between 2012 and 2018.

The jury heard how the pupils, now aged between 11 and 17, claimed he touched them sexually.

But the court was also told that Mr Oulton claimed he received cards at the end of term, and he believed letters sent by Pembrokeshire council to parents encouraged false complaints and collusion between pupils.

Oulton, 34, of Richmond Crescent, Haverfordwest, told the court he had behaved appropriately.

The jury heard how the alleged abuse occurred while Mr Oulton was working at a primary school in Haverfordwest.

Clare Wilks, prosecuting, said some of the children alleged that they had been assaulted on a daily basis, while others had had given statements to say it only happened the one time.

The trial continues.

Continue Reading
News16 hours ago

Primary school teacher described as ‘touchy-feely’ on day two of trial

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher, accused of sexually assaulting his pupils was “very touchy-feely”, Swansea Crown Court heard on the...

Entertainment23 hours ago

BAFTA winner Sir Anthony Hopkins visits St. Davids

CELEBRATING his BAFTA win, Sir Anthony Hopkins has been vaccinated and returned to his native country of Wales where he...

News1 day ago

Trial of Haverfordwest primary school teacher starts at Swansea Crown Court

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher who is accused of sexually abusing eleven children thinks he is a victim of a...

News2 days ago

Kill the Bill protest to take place in Haverfordwest on Saturday

INDIVIDUALS and activists from local groups, including Extinction Rebellion Pembrokeshire, Stand Up to Racism West Wales, Pembrokeshire People’s Assembly and...

News2 days ago

Everything you need to know about the current coronavirus restrictions in Wales

THE GOVERNMENT guidelines in Wales are changing today (Apr 12). There are major changes coming into force today across the...

Health2 days ago

New Covid vaccine arrives first in West Wales

THE FIRST person in the UK to receive the Moderna vaccine against Covid-19 got their jab at 8:30 in the...

News2 days ago

Ten years in prison for Milford Haven taxi driver who raped passenger

ANTHONY MARCUS JONES, 43, a taxi driver from Hawthorn Path, Mount Estate, Milford Haven has been sentenced to ten years...

News3 days ago

Police: RNLI ‘most likely saved man’s life’ following tombstoning incident

POLICE have issued an urgent warning following a tombstoning incident Tenby on Saturday evening (Apr 10). A multi-agency operation was...

News4 days ago

Police plan to deter badly behaved youths from gathering in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby responded to community concerns over antisocial behaviour and groups of between 15-20 youths gathering and clashing over...

News5 days ago

Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99

The Duke of Edinburgh, the Queen’s ‘strength and stay’ for 73 years, has died aged 99. Prince Philip’s health had...

Popular This Week