Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Couple narrowly escapes Tunisia resort massacre

Published

on

tunisia-isis-terrorists-attack-touristsA RETIRED Milford couple narrowly escaped execution in the Tunisian beach massacre last week. Speaking exclusively with The Herald were Ann and Ken Mansell, who recounted the terrifying ordeal at the private beach of the Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel on the Tunisian Sousse resort, where 38 people were killed on Friday June 26. 

Ann explained what happened: “We were on the beach, as we were each day, and at lunchtime we heard what we thought was fireworks, which went on for a few seconds, and then kept going. As I turned, I realised it was someone firing guns, my husband caught me by the hand and we ran along the beach, over rough ground, with bullets flying and whizzing around – you could hear them hitting things and ricocheting.”

smithpembrokeshire copyad1

Ken continued, saying: “I got up and out of the corner of my eye I saw him shoot. I could see his face – he was 5xsunbeds away – He aimed straight at the first two set of deckchairs. I grabbed my wife’s hand and ran up the beach.”

Asking Ken how long it took to be sure what was going on, he replied: “Seconds.”

Continuing to describe their flight from terror, he said: “We ducked down behind a wall. I looked up and 12 foot away was the gunman changing his magazine. So I grabbed the wife by the hand and said ‘run’ we passed a point below where people had gone and we continued diving over a wall behind some bushes, and with that, he dropped a hand grenade in this well – which we found out later was a spa and changing rooms below.  He walked past us firing. He was heading towards the hotel, with shouting and screaming and gunshots. There were more hand grenades, so there had to be more than one of them. We just laid there. Pretending to be dead.”

Asked what they then saw on the beach after the shooting, Ken continued by describing the horrific scene: “From sunbed number one, on the right of the concrete path, they were all dead, all covered over. I got to our sunbed and I could see bodies, loads, covered over. There were empty casings strewn on the beach “

He explained that the nearest body from where they were sitting, was in fact the adjacent sun lounger. He went on to talk about the victims, who were also residents of the hotel in which they were staying.

“One couple used to come down the concrete path from the dining room, going to the left of the beach; on this morning they went to the right, because they were late. We had just seen them.”

He stated the couple had been unaccounted for, thus were the margins for life and death during the horrific massacre.

Finishing, Ken said: “Every time I go to think about something all I think about is this gunmen, spraying the first burst of gunfire, and then I see him changing magazines.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Drug drive arrest following routine check

Published

on

A MALE has been arrested following a positive roadside test.

The vehicle, which was stopped this morning, June 6, by the Pembrokeshire Road Policing Unit (Pembrokeshire RPU) was part of a routine check.

Traffic officers suspected the driver may be under the influence after smelling cannabis coming from the vehicle.

A roadside drug test was performed with a positive result with the drugswab provided. A small quantity of cannabis was also found inside the vehicle.

The cannabis was seized and the driver was arrested, later released under investigation, pending the male’s blood test result for the drug drive offence, out of court disposal for the possession.

Continue Reading

News

Campers from Cardiff sent packing

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE Road Policing Unit (Pembrokeshire RPU) have this morning, June 5, reported nine individuals for breaching coronavirus regulations.

The occupants of the three vehicles, all from the Cardiff area, had moved barriers that had been in place to close off the carpark to the public and set up camp for the night.

A Pembrokeshire RPU spokesperson said ‘Three vehicles from the Cardiff area located at Abereiddy this morning.

“The occupants of the vehicles, who’d travelled down overnight, had moved the barriers that had been used to close the car park. Having done so they then set up camp nearby.

“All nine persons present were reported for breaching coronavirus regulations. One was further dealt with by means of an out of court disposal for possession of cannabis.

“Rubbish cleaned up, car park closure reinstated, vehicles escorted out of Pembs.”

Continue Reading

News

Police urge visitors to ‘check the rules’

Published

on

POLICE in Powys are reminding people to check the rules before they travel, as tourists from the Midlands, London and Bristol continue to visit despite lockdown restrictions.

Last weekend more than 1,000 cars were turned around by police in the Brecon Beacons after visitors attempted to access the area around Ystradfellte known as ‘waterfall country’.

Many of those stopped claimed they thought the rules around travel were the same as in England, while others had deliberately flouted them.

Seventy-two per cent of people reported for breaches of Covid-19 restrictions in Powys since March 27 have been from outside the police force area.

“I would like to thank the communities of Powys for their cooperation in recent months in complying with requirements of the Covid 19 legislation and also reassure them we are still working hard with our partners to police the restrictions that remain in place across Wales,” said Superintendent Steve Davies.

“Our officers have worked hard to engage with the public at every opportunity throughout these unprecedented times by explaining what we are doing and why, and encouraging people to make the best choices to protect public health in Wales.

“But where people have clearly flouted the rules we have dealt with them appropriately and issued fines.”

He said officers will continue to conduct stop checks throughout Powys and across the force area this weekend.

In England, people can now travel an unlimited distance for exercise and to access so-called ‘beauty spots’.

But the Welsh Government has said people must remain local – ideally not travelling further than five miles from their home – for exercise or limited leisure pursuits, and this also applies to anyone travelling across the border.

Wales’ three national parks – which include popular sites such as Snowdon, the Elan valley and the Pembrokeshire coast – currently remain closed to the public, as do all National Trust car parks and properties.

The latest Welsh Government advice is available at gov.wales/coronavirus.

Continue Reading
Community4 days ago

Remembering the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge fifty years on

TODAY, marks the 50th anniversary of the collapse of the Cleddau Bridge, then called the Milford Haven Bridge, a day...

News6 days ago

Hart defends a tweet police boss says is incorrect

WELSH Secretary Simon Hart has defended a tweet accused of being incorrect by a chief constable. The MP for South...

News6 days ago

Shielding people can meet others and exercise outdoors

CHANGES to advice for people shielding from coronavirus are being introduced from Monday 1 June, Minister for Health and Social...

News1 week ago

Pembroke Dock: Lorry driver fined for driving whilst disqualified

A LORRY driver has been fined after getting behind the wheel only three months after being disqualified from driving. Gary...

News1 week ago

Local MP’s concern at re-opening of Mc Donald’s Drive Thrus

A LOCAL MP has expressed his concern regarding the planned re-opening of the Mc Donald’s Drive Thru in Haverfordwest. Stephen...

News1 week ago

Amphetamine worth £22,500 found in car at Pembroke Dock

Two men who claimed to have driven from Cardiff to Pembroke Dock for a cleaning job were found to have...

News2 weeks ago

Message stays the same: Please do not visit Pembrokeshire this bank holiday weekend

With another Bank Holiday weekend on the horizon, visitors and second home owners are again being urged not to travel...

News2 weeks ago

Nigel Owens hosts virtual rugby quiz for Pembroke Panthers

PEMBROKE Panthers RFC enjoyed a rugby return during lockdown after winning a competition which saw international referee Nigel Owens host...

News2 weeks ago

How Wales created 19 new field hospitals in less than 8 weeks…

Across Wales the Welsh Government is supporting the NHS to create new field hospitals and rapidly increase bed capacity. Health...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire County Council leader’s coronavirus update, May 20th

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Wednesday, 20th May, as follows: ‘Once...

Popular This Week