Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Substation built without planning

Published

on

residents concernResidents concern about solar farm development

LOCAL residents in Lower Thornton, Milford Haven, have expressed concerns about a solar power development that will engulf three farms and may have an adverse effect on the health of those closely situated to it.

Speaking with The Herald, local campaigner Lynne Hughes described the situation: “We knew of the development, but this was supposed to be located some way further down the field facing my home. However, six weeks ago we saw the company, Good Energy Generation Ltd, had started to build the electricity sub-station a hundred metres from our house. We understand this was because they were originally too close to the Murco pipeline.”

She went on to question whether or not the energy company had planning permission for this move.

“I spoke to planning officer Simon Hughes who said he didn’t know anything about it. He advised us he would take pictures and refer it back to his office and overseeing case officer Mike Simmonds.

“Eventually, after sending them two emails, they came back to me advising that they had applied for planning permission and we, the residents, had until the April 3 to contest this. This gave us just four weeks which we question. Is this a long enough period and, indeed, as this is surely an industrial project, should we not be entitled to a longer period of consultation before planning permission is granted?”

Lynne Hughes said she was surprised that on the original planning application a question asking whether local residents had been contacted or not had been ticked ‘No’ by Good Energy and that “they appear to have just gone ahead and built it anyway”.

She told The Herald that a petition signed by over a hundred residents that was handed in to a council planning meeting was ‘just ignored’.

Asked what her concerns over this development were, she said:

“The question to the council is are they aware of the potential health risks posed by this development?”

In response to these concerns, Pembrokeshire County Council responded: “The application by Good Energy Rose Cottage for a Solar Photovoltaic Farm on land at Rose Cottage Farm, Woodson Farm and Tierson Farm at Tiers Cross, was approved by the Planning and Rights of Way Committee on October 1, 2013, and included the building of an electrical sub-station.

“However, although they had been consulted prior to the application being considered and raised no objections, Murco subsequently voiced concerns that the sub-station was within 10 metres of a pipeline. As a result, Good Energy submitted an application on February 18 to re-site the sub-station a further 120 metres from the pipeline. That application is currently being considered. If work has begun on constructing the sub-station prior to the issuing of planning permission, then that is at the developer’s own risk”.

Scientific surveys have suggested that solar power can pose certain health risks to people with special disabilities, including adverse effects on children with ADHD. Mrs Hughes pointed out that she has family that could be directly affected by this.

A meeting has been arranged for all residents to have their say on the matter next Wednesday, March 26, at the Christian Fellowship Church in Milford Haven.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Pembrokeshire cottage letting agency offers free holidays to NHS heroes

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE-BASED holiday letting agency St Brides Bay Cottages has teamed up with its property owners and Operation Recuperation to offer free holidays to frontline healthcare workers. The family-run firm has announced the scheme to say thank you to the healthcare heroes who are risking their lives to keep the UK safe during the coronavirus pandemic.

The generous initiative will see healthcare professionals enjoy a well-deserved break in picturesque St Davids, Solva, Newgale or Porthgain, after the crisis is over. The scheme is part of Operation Recuperation, a UK-wide campaign launched to gift future stays in beautiful places to frontline healthcare providers.

Sam Sibbald, manager of St Brides Bay Cottages, based in Solva, said: “This is our way of showing our dedicated healthcare workers that we appreciate everything they’re doing in such difficult circumstances.

“I saw first-hand the pressure the NHS is under, when my dad had a stay in hospital last year. I could tell how pushed they were on a normal day-to-day basis, let alone with having COVID-19 to deal with. Now my dad is at home, needing carers every day, and I can see, more than ever, how much we rely on the people who look after us.

“We’re taking part in Operation Recuperation thanks to the generosity of our cottage owners. By gifting stays to these dedicated workers, we’ll be helping them to recover from the fight against coronavirus.”

Several cottage owners, whose properties are let by St Brides Bay Cottages, have come forward to donate stays in their holiday homes.

Among them is Sheila Morgan, who together with her husband Chris, owns The Anchorage, a two-bedroom apartment in Solva. She said: “As a retired nurse with medical staff in the family, I can fully appreciate the strains and stresses all NHS staff are going through at present. Thank you all for your sterling work. Hopefully the peace, quiet and Pembrokeshire air will aid recuperation.”

Debbie and Patrick Bowie-Moore, the owners of five-bedroom holiday home Mount Pleasant, in Solva, said: “The healthcare workers have offered their all, and it’s our privilege to give a family – who may have been kept apart – the opportunity to stay in Mount Pleasant as a massive thank you.”

Simon Baker, who owns Cefn y Mor, a four-bedroom property in Solva, said: “We are backing the Operation Recuperation project because we have family members on the frontline of the NHS, and know what risks they are taking, and what effort they are putting into saving lives. Our only effort is to stay at home and avoid infection. A small price to pay.”

Jim and Maureen Dale, whose three-bedroom holiday home, May Cottage, is situated on a grade II-listed farm, near St Davids, said: “Rarely do we get an opportunity to say thank you to the staff at the NHS – we tend to take the service so much for granted. Now the chips are down and there they all are, on the frontline looking after us all. Thank you all at the NHS.”

David and Judith James, who are offering a free stay at their converted watermill, Melin Llanrhian, near Porthgain, said: “We’re delighted to be able to support Operation Recuperation as a very small thank you to everyone in the NHS who has worked so hard in such challenging circumstances.”

Operation Recuperation is collecting donations – in room nights and cash – to give free stays to frontline healthcare staff, once the virus restrictions have been lifted.

Rachel Sherwood, who launched Operation Recuperation, said: “A huge thank you to St Brides Bay Cottages for proudly supporting Operation Recuperation and to the cottage owners who have donated stays in this stunning part of Wales, despite very challenging times.

“Sometime in the not-too-distant future, a number of our frontline healthcare staff will be enjoying long clifftop walks, fresh seafood, lazy days on the beach and cosy evenings in sea-view cottages.”

To find out more about St Brides Bay Cottages and Operation Recuperation, visit: https://www.stbridesbaycottages.com/, email enquiries@stbridesbaycottages.com or call 01437 720027.

Continue Reading

News

Council pays out £2.5m in business grants to date

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has revealed that since Wednesday, 1st April, it has already paid out £2.5 million in grants to local businesses.

The Authority’s Cabinet Member for Economy, Paul Miller, said Council staff had been working hard to make the Covid-19 business grants payable as soon as possible

Explained Councillor Miller: “Payments started on Wednesday this week for those who qualify for grants linked to the National Non-Domestic Ratings (NNDR) system. We have already paid out around £2.5 million in grants to local businesses.

“Daily payment runs are being made in order that these can get into business bank accounts as soon as possible.

“We cannot unfortunately acknowledge receipt of applications but, once authorised, businesses will be emailed and the grant will be paid within two to three working days.”

Councillor Miller added: “If there are any issues with a grant application, or information is missing, a Council officer will be in touch to discuss the matter. A dedicated team has been set up to do this.”

For further business advice refer to the Council’s Business pages which can be accessed via the following link: https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/business-advice-and-support

This will enable access to the application form for the above grants, provide answers to frequently asked questions and links to further sources of advice through HMRC, Welsh Government, Department of Work and Pensions, Public Health Wales and other organisations.

For further enquiries not answered through the business pages, email: covid19@pembrokeshire.gov.uk and an officer will respond. Please view the business pages first.

For those who don’t qualify for the grants, Welsh Government will soon be making details available of how business can access other funding through an Economic Resilience Fund.

Details will be available on the Council’s business pages as soon as they are released by Welsh Government.

Continue Reading

News

Man issued with two COVID-19 fines in 24 hours as police thank those following new legislation

Published

on

A man has been issued with two fines in 24 hours for flouting Coronavirus legislation, as police thank those who are following the new rules.

Dyfed-Powys Police officers in Carmarthenshire stopped the 22-year-old from Llanelli twice for being out of the house without a reasonable excuse.

A report was made on April 1 that three men were breaching the COVID-19 legislation by gathering in Llanstephan. A woman who had attempted to film the men reported that they had stolen her phone and driven away.

Officers quickly linked the car to a suspect and traced it driving towards Carmarthen and then Llanelli, and a roads policing unit was directed to the area.

The car was stopped, and the two occupants – a 22-year-old from Llanelli, and a 18-year-old from Carmarthen – were arrested on suspicion of theft. They were also both issued with tickets for COVID-19 offences.

T/Chief Inspector Tom Sharville said: “We are taking the new legislation seriously, and would like to thank the majority of people who are staying home to keep others safe.

“The measures are difficult to adapt to, but it is important that we stay at home to save lives.

“However, there is a minority out there who are under the impression the legislation does not apply to them, and are flouting the law.

“This was the second fine one of these men was issued with in 24 hours, after he showed a clear disregard for all guidelines.”

The men were arrested on suspicion of theft of a mobile phone, and were released under investigation pending further enquiries.

For information about the COVID-19 legislation, and answers to many frequently asked questions, visit https://bit.ly/DPPCovid19

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Council pays out £2.5m in business grants to date

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has revealed that since Wednesday, 1st April, it has already paid out £2.5 million in grants to...

News2 days ago

Man issued with two COVID-19 fines in 24 hours as police thank those following new legislation

A man has been issued with two fines in 24 hours for flouting Coronavirus legislation, as police thank those who...

News3 days ago

School staff video spreads positive message to students

A VIDEO featuring hundreds of Pembrokeshire educators, teachers and support staff is spreading a positive message to their students and...

News3 days ago

Public bus services change in Pembrokeshire

Due to the current situation there are a number of changes required to public bus services in Pembrokeshire. The County...

News4 days ago

Coronavirus patient being treated at Withybush intensive care unit, say staff

STAFF working at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest have confirmed that there is a patient in intensive care suffering from...

News4 days ago

Covid-19 grants for small businesses now being distributed

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism, Leisure and Culture, Paul Miller, has announced that payments to businesses started...

News4 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader’s coronavirus update

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Tuesday, 31st March, as follows: ‘I...

News5 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council housing services update

FOLLOWING the most recent Government guidance, Pembrokeshire County Council’s housing department has had to cut back on all face-to-face meetings...

News1 week ago

Police turn away caravans and campervans heading for Pembrokeshire

PEMBROKESHIRE is currently closed to visitors’ is the message from Dyfed-Powys Police as officers work to prevent the spread of...

News1 week ago

Be a considerate neighbour during the coronavirus lockdown

DURING the current lockdown, Pembrokeshire County Council has seen an increased number of complaints from members of the public who...

Popular This Week