Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Education

Cabinet ‘yes’ to £11.6m superschool

Published

on

county hallPEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’s cabinet have decided today to close Hakin and Hubberston Schools in Milford Haven and amalgamate them by building a new school which will open by September 1, 2016, at a cost of £11,600,000.

The move is not what many of the parents wanted to hear. Many of them have spoken to The Herald saying they wished the schools to remain separate.

Councillors Viv Stoddart and Mike Stoddart this morning joined parents of Hubberston School for a last minute protest against the amalgamation of the schools.

Speaking last week Viv Stoddart said that the options presented to Monday’s Pembrokeshire County Council’s Cabinet on the future of primary education in Hakin and Hubberston make a mockery of “consultation.”

“Hubberston families have consistently said they do not wish Hubberston VC School to be amalgamated with Hakin Community School” she said.

She added: “People have been bullied by the threat that if the new 500 plus strong super school does not go ahead, the long-promised new school for Hakin will be in jeopardy, or there will be no build at all, and Hakin Community School will have to continue to operate indefinitely on an unsatisfactory split site.
This reneges on a promise first given three years ago by the council; that if Hakin Infants and Hakin Juniors agreed to an administrative amalgamation, a new school would be built to house what would be Hakin Community School.”

“Last spring, the authority introduced the idea of joining Hubberston VC School with Hakin Community School. There was no grass roots support for this proposed merger.
In early summer, the consultation process got underway. During the June meeting with Hubberston families, they voiced their concern that if they opposed the amalgamation, Hakin’s new school could be jeopardised. They were given a categorical assurance by the then acting head of education David Hopkins, that the new build would go ahead, whatever the outcome of the consultation”

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. David Curtis

    April 7, 2014 at 12:54 pm

    What, you surely don’t mean that the “high ups” in PCC are a bunch of liars and the Cabinet spineless corrupt puppets of their also corrupt CEO, Bryn Parry-Jones?

    Well done for ignoring 90.5% of those consulted who didn’t want the merger.

    The arrogance of these people seemingly knows no bounds.

  2. Maria T

    April 7, 2014 at 12:59 pm

    What was the point in consulting with the parents then? Hubberston school parents don\’t want the merger. There you go, so much for listening. So disappointed.

  3. Rockface

    April 7, 2014 at 4:07 pm

    Consultation is merely a token gesture to say parents were involved in the decision making. What PCC don’t realise is that this further disempowers the people of Pembrokeshire.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Education

Young cleaners helped ensure schools safe

Published

on

YOUNG people are helping to ensure that all schools in Pembrokeshire meet the required Covid 19 hygiene safety standards as they re-open their doors to pupils.
Some 30 young people aged between 18 and 25 have been employed by Pembrokeshire County Council as additional cleaning staff to support schools with the extra work necessary to help keep pupils safe when they return to education.
Pembrokeshire Youth Service worked quickly with other PCC teams to mobilise the small army of cleaners as soon as the additional cleaning support was identified, says Chris Powles, Youth Team Manager.
“Young people have been disproportionately affected in the employment market during the pandemic, with the majority of summer employment they would have usually taken up in the tourism, leisure, and retail sectors being unavailable due to lockdown restrictions,” said Chris.
“By linking with secondary schools, Pembrokeshire College, the Youth Service Outreach and Cam Nesa teams, young people were contacted directly to be given the opportunity to apply for cleaning posts in primary, secondary and special schools across the county.
“The response was overwhelming. Young people have been keen not only to secure employment but to also play their part in supporting communities in dealing with the pandemic.”
One of the new employees, Courtney Cramb, said: “I love that this opportunity has been given to students especially during this time as many of us are unable to work but still have things like car insurance to pay for!
“I also think it will be a good experience and gives us the opportunity to help by giving back to the community whilst earning some money.”
The new staff are currently going through pre-employment checks and training to enable them to begin their casual contracts and start earning the incomes they thought that they had missed out on.
“This was a fast paced process with the requests for additional cleaning support from schools only coming in once they had been able to assess the need, whilst planning and risk assessing for their reopening on the 29th June,” said Cllr David Simpson, Council Leader.
“We are delighted to have given young people the opportunity to be part of the PCC workforce, and it shows the ability of Council departments to work together in responding quickly and effectively whilst trying to minimise the impact on those who are affected by the pandemic.”

Continue Reading

Education

Pembrokeshire County Council appoints new Director of Education

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has appointed a new Director of Education.

Steven Richards-Downes, a former Cardiff headteacher, who has been the Authority’s Acting Director for Children and Schools since the February 1.

He succeeds Kate Evan-Hughes who left the Council earlier this year to take up a post in England.

Mr Richards-Downes came to Pembrokeshire in May 2017 as Deputy Chief Education Officer from the Central South Consortium – a school improvement service based in South Wales – where he was Strategic Lead Advisor.

He began his career in education as a teacher with the former Mid-Glamorgan local authority.

Mr Richards-Downes was congratulated on his appointment by Guy Woodham, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Education and Lifelong Learning.

Councillor Woodham said: “Following a rigorous recruitment process, Mr Richards-Downes impressed not only myself and other Councillor colleagues but also the headteacher and local authority senior officer representatives and – most important of all – a young persons’ panel, that he is the right person for this new role of Director of Education.

“I look forward to working collaboratively with Steven and the whole Pembrokeshire education community (including learners and their families) over the coming months as we develop further our aspirational vision for the efficient and effective delivery of education across the whole of Pembrokeshire.

“This will be undertaken with a clear focus on improved learner outcomes delivering the recommendations for improvement in the Authority’s recent Estyn inspection report and insuring that every learner achieves more than they thought possible.”

Mr Richards-Downes takes up his appointment with immediate effect

Continue Reading

Education

South West Wales Virtual Open Day 8 July

Published

on

Welsh local authorities, schools, colleges and work-based learning providers will be hosting
a series of Virtual Open Days for Year 11 pupils for the first time this month.

An event specifically for pupils from Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Neath
Port Talbot, Llanelli, Swansea and Powys will be held on Wednesday 8 July and will cover a
series of sessions on post-16 options including A Levels at sixth form or college as well as
work-based qualifications.

Jonathan Davies OBE will host the sessions on apprenticeships and traineeships and will be
on hand to field questions about how to apply and get the most from industry-led training
opportunities.

Other sessions will be led by Pembrokeshire College, NPTC Group of Colleges, Coleg Sir
Gar and Coleg Ceredigion as well as Careers Wales and local authorities.

The spread of COVID-19 has not only meant a break in students’ learning, but also the
cancellation of many planned events like open days which were scheduled to take place
throughout the summer.

Open days are vital ways of helping Year 11 pupils to understand all their options for
continuing their education and deciding on the right path for them. It’s also the way pupils
make connections with new people and different environments to support them in making
their decision.

With no indication yet of when face-to-face events might be able to go ahead again, over
220 schools, colleges and work-based learning providers across Wales are partnering with
the Welsh Government to hold virtual sessions for all Year 11 pupils in Wales to make sure
nobody misses out.

Organised by Welsh Government and hosted by Working Wales, the Virtual Open Days will
enable young people across Wales to discover the options for furthering their education in
their area, including what school and college courses are available, as well as training
opportunities like apprenticeships and traineeships, and access to careers advice from
Careers Wales.

Live sessions will be held for each region across Wales from 7 – 10 July, with lots of
additional content available throughout the second week of July and beyond. There will also
be the opportunity to put questions to local careers advisors and learning providers who
know about the provision in your area.

Virtual Open Days will be hosted online, but those without internet access at home will have
the option to phone and speak directly with schools, colleges and work-based learning
providers.

Welsh Government will be providing information about the full range of Virtual Open Days,
as well as links to partner websites and content, on Working Wales where there will also be
advice for those students who are unsure of what they want to do next.

Kirsty Williams, Minister for Education, said: “Now more than ever, it’s vital that young
people are equipped with the skills, information and training they need to find fulfilling work.
“If you’re a young person, you may be unsure of what you want to do after school, or
whether you want to continue in education at all. Open days can play a vital role in helping
access the right education or training, providing a vital insight into the different courses and
ways of learning that are available to young people considering their next options.

“Virtual Open Days are a really innovative way to explore options digitally and will help
young people in deciding what to do next. Whether you are shielding at home, returning to
school to say goodbye for the summer, or are not sure what to do next, our national virtual
open days will ensure learners in every region of Wales have the opportunity to engage and
ask questions at this important time.”

Nikki Lawrence, chief executive of Careers Wales, said: “Deciding what the next step is with
your education is an important time for young people across Wales and we want to make
sure that they are still able to explore the different options that are available.

“During the four days we will be offering additional support from our expert careers advisers
who will be available via our live web chat. This will enable young people who are not sure
what the next step is to get the advice and guidance they need.”

To find out more about Wales’ Virtual Open Days, call Working Wales on 0800 028 4844 or
go to www.workingwales.gov.wales/start-your-story.

Continue Reading
News3 hours ago

Police investigate ‘Chinese government vehicle’ spotted near Puma Oil Terminal

POLICE have confirmed that they are conducting “the appropriate enquiries” after a suspicious vehicle was spotted in the vicinity of...

News1 day ago

Tenby: Police investigate overnight burglaries and theft

POLICE are investigating two burglaries and a theft which occurred sometime overnight 9th/10th August in Tenby. At approximately 2am this...

News2 days ago

Sageston: Police remove convicted sex offender as Welsh Warriors protest

POLICE have removed a convicted sex offender from a sleepy Sageston street during a protest organised by the Welsh Warriors...

News4 days ago

Monkton man with ‘no regard for the law’ jailed for two attempted robberies

A MAN who threatened to stab a vulnerable victim just a day after trying to commit a robbery against a...

News4 days ago

Surge in reports of personal watercraft incidents on the South Pembrokeshire Coast

THE NATIONAL PARK is appealing for riders of personal watercraft to consider the impact of their activities on other visitors...

News5 days ago

Police ask communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend

Police are asking communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend. As we head into the weekend, police are...

News5 days ago

Haverfordwest: Appeal for information following incident at Morrisons

POLICE are investigating a shoplifting and assault allegation which occurred at approximately 3.20pm on Saturday (Aug 1) at Morrisons, Haverfordwest....

News6 days ago

Dowson hits out as complaints dismissed

CONTROVERSIAL Pembroke Dock County Councillor Paul Dowson has hit out at his critics after Wales’ Public Services Ombudsman rejected complaints...

News6 days ago

Haverfordwest: Tributes from family for Lola James, 2

DAN THOMAS, the father of two-year-old Lola James from Haverfordwest, who sadly died in hospital on July 21, has paid...

News1 week ago

Milford Haven coastguards launch six lifeboats and task helicopter to hoax call

MILFORD HAVEN Coastguard Operations Centre swung into action last night following an emergency call, tasking SIX lifeboats and a rescue...

Popular This Week