Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Three years for ‘serious and sustained attack’

Published

on

A DISABLED man who joined in a “serious and sustained” attack has been jailed for three years.

Nicholas Roach, aged 53, of 69 Glebelands, Hakin, swore at Judge Keith Thomas at Swansea crown court as he was sent down.

Roach, who uses a walking stick, had been convicted by a jury of inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent to Rhys Griffiths.

His co-defendant, Sean Davies, was convicted of causing gbh but without intent.

Helen Randall, Roach’s barrister, said he wanted to appeal the verdict on the grounds that Davies inflicted greater harm than he had and yet had been convicted of a lesser offence.

Judge Keith Thomas refused permission. He said it was possible the jury had decided Davies had been too drunk to form an intention to inflict gbh, while Roach had been sober.

The court heard that Davies had absconded and could not be traced. Judge Thomas said he would receive a similar sentence once he had been located.

Tom Scrapens, prosecuting, said Davies had been out to get Mr Griffiths and on the night in question was seen in various pubs around Haverfordwest.

swansea crown court

At the end of the night he telephoned Roach and asked for a lift. As Roach drove him away from the town centre they spotted Mr Griffiths walking on the pavement and Davies attacked him with his fists and feet, causing a fracture to his jaw.

Roach, said Mr Scrapens, prevented people from helping Mr Griffiths and, after Davies had ended his attack, delivered one punch.

Miss Randall said the punch would not have caused much damage because of Roach’s physical disabilities.

Judge Thomas said he accepted that point but Roach had involved himself in a serious and sustained attack that had resulted in serious injury.

Continue Reading
3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. Andyrew

    May 3, 2014 at 5:26 pm

    It seems this judge has got his head on backwards.I hope this is appealed and the judge gets a sentence

  2. sam stayner

    May 10, 2014 at 10:30 am

    sick

  3. Teifion

    May 11, 2014 at 9:38 am

    Is he a friend of your Andrew?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Johnston: Police appeal for witnesses

Published

on

POLICE have again appealed for witnesses after a collision in Johnston, near Haverfordwest, on Wednesday (August 5).

A boy on a scooter sustained minor injuries during the collision, which took place at around 4.20pm. A red 4×4 is believed to have been involved also.

Anyone who was in the area of the St Peters Road pelican crossing, or nearby Langford road, and either witnessed the collision or who has CCTV that covers this area is asked to get in touch.

You can telephone 101, visit bit.ly/DPPReportOnline, or email contactcentre@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk

If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired you can text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Dyfed-Powys Police Ref DP-20200805-249

Continue Reading

News

Police investigate ‘Chinese government vehicle’ spotted near Puma Oil Terminal

Published

on

POLICE have confirmed that they are conducting “the appropriate enquiries” after a suspicious vehicle was spotted in the vicinity of Puma Oil Terminal on Saturday afternoon (Aug 8).

Following a tip off a Herald reporter was dispatched to the area, and saw a black Volvo SUV with three IC5 (Korean, Japanese or Chinese) looking males inside the vehicle. The vehicle had diplomatic number plates identifying that it belonged to the Chinese government.

However, a DVLA check suggested that the plates were registered to a BMW and not the Volvo they were displayed upon.

South Hook LNG security was notified as a precaution.

A police spokesman said: “Members of the public are advised to contact the police to report any suspicious activity or incidents.”

Both the UK and US governments are currently on alert following incidents of spying relating to key infrastructure, computer systems and state secrets by the Chinese authorities.

[The image used in this report is a computer generated artist’s impression.]

Continue Reading

News

Milford Haven Street Food Festival Returns To Waterfront This August

Published

on

MILFORD Haven Street Food Festival will be setting up camp at Milford Waterfront for the third year running to continue their Summer of street food tour, and with a brand new sponsor joining for the ride! Jubel Beer will be on hand fully loaded with refreshing fruity beers to serve all weekend long.

Street Food Warehouse and their team of feeders are heading back into town this bank holiday weekend, 28th – 30th August.

Cooking up a storm between noon – 10pm, the festival is split into three mouth-watering portions and is the only way to get you in the mood for summer and of course, fill you up to the brim on all of your favourite foodie delights.

You’ll need to grab your tickets beforehand, just make sure you come with an empty belly ready to taste new flavours – the world will really be your oyster. From smokin’ souvlaki to naughty nachos, mouthwatering Malaysian to chocolatey treats. Carnivores, veggies and vegans alike will be able to get their hungry hands on a range of Insta-worthy grub from all over the world!

Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten that you’ll need something to tingle your taste buds and wash it all down with! Luckily, The Pop Up Bar Hire Company has got the whole weekend covered, offering all of your favourite beverages ranging from zesty Mojitos to ice-cold pints of Jubel Beer.

Two Lads Kitchen, Spicer’s Meat Wagon, Makasih and Chock Shop are just some of the street food vendors that will be attending the weekend, with many more both local and national vendors to be announced.

Come rain or shine, the event is completely free and family-friendly where you can get your hands on the most vibrant and high quality street food Milford Haven has to offer.

Continue Reading
News2 days ago

Police investigate ‘Chinese government vehicle’ spotted near Puma Oil Terminal

POLICE have confirmed that they are conducting “the appropriate enquiries” after a suspicious vehicle was spotted in the vicinity of...

News3 days ago

Tenby: Police investigate overnight burglaries and theft

POLICE are investigating two burglaries and a theft which occurred sometime overnight 9th/10th August in Tenby. At approximately 2am this...

News3 days ago

Sageston: Police remove convicted sex offender as Welsh Warriors protest

POLICE have removed a convicted sex offender from a sleepy Sageston street during a protest organised by the Welsh Warriors...

News6 days ago

Monkton man with ‘no regard for the law’ jailed for two attempted robberies

A MAN who threatened to stab a vulnerable victim just a day after trying to commit a robbery against a...

News6 days ago

Surge in reports of personal watercraft incidents on the South Pembrokeshire Coast

THE NATIONAL PARK is appealing for riders of personal watercraft to consider the impact of their activities on other visitors...

News7 days ago

Police ask communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend

Police are asking communities to stay alert to prevent raves this weekend. As we head into the weekend, police are...

News7 days ago

Haverfordwest: Appeal for information following incident at Morrisons

POLICE are investigating a shoplifting and assault allegation which occurred at approximately 3.20pm on Saturday (Aug 1) at Morrisons, Haverfordwest....

News1 week ago

Dowson hits out as complaints dismissed

CONTROVERSIAL Pembroke Dock County Councillor Paul Dowson has hit out at his critics after Wales’ Public Services Ombudsman rejected complaints...

News1 week ago

Haverfordwest: Tributes from family for Lola James, 2

DAN THOMAS, the father of two-year-old Lola James from Haverfordwest, who sadly died in hospital on July 21, has paid...

News1 week ago

Milford Haven coastguards launch six lifeboats and task helicopter to hoax call

MILFORD HAVEN Coastguard Operations Centre swung into action last night following an emergency call, tasking SIX lifeboats and a rescue...

Popular This Week