Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

City to star in baton relay show

Published

on

batonTHE MEDIA SPOTLIGHT will be on St Davids next week when the Queen’s Baton Relay arrives in the City during the Welsh leg of its world-wide tour. 

The Baton – which is making its way to Glasgow for the start of the Commonwealth Games this summer will be carried through St Davids by 16 local people on Wednesday, May 28. The 1,000 metre journey through the centre of St Davids begins at 8am at the Bishop’s Palace and ends an hour later at the sports hall adjacent to Ysgol Dewi Sant. Members of the public who wish to witness this unique sporting event are asked to arrive before 7.30am as temporary road closures will be activated from that time. In addition to the Pembrokeshire County Council car parks at Merrivale and Quickwell Hill and the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority car park adjacent to Oriel y Parc, additional parking will also be available at St Davids rugby club and opposite Ysgol Dewi Sant. The Baton will actually be carried through the Cathedral at one point shortly after being blessed by the Bishop of St Davids, the Right Reverend Wyn Evans. At Cross Square, the Baton and its bearers will be welcomed b y the Chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council, Councillor Tom Richards and the Mayor of St Davids, Councillor David Halse. The next stop for the Baton is at Oriel y Parc where it will be received by the Chairman of the National Park Authority, Councillor Mike James. It will also visit the Sir Peter Blake Art Exhibition within the Gallery. To conclude the Pembrokeshire leg of its journey, it is due to arrive at St Davids sports hall at 9am where the Baton and bearers will be met by the Leader of Pembrokeshire County Council, Councillor Jamie Adams. At the sports hall there will be an opportunity for members of the public to be photographed with the Baton and at 10am a number of sports events for children and young people will be held. Sports to participate in include athletics, cycling, weightlifting, hockey and squash. There is also a duathlon for children. The Baton will be carried on most of its route by a number of young people, aged between ten to 19, who are all past or present members of the St Davids Family of Schools. Also acting as bearers are two local men – Roy Stephens and Barry Webb both in their 70s – who carried the Baton when the Games was held in Cardiff in 1958. Pembrokeshire County Councillor Elwyn Morse, Cabinet Member for Culture, Sport and Leisure, said he was proud that Pembrokeshire had been included in the relay route. “I well remember the vast crowds and exciting scenes which greeted the Olympic Torch when it came to Pembrokeshire two years ago” he said. “I am sure the people of Pembrokeshire will be equally enthusiastic when it comes to showing our support for our home-grown athletes in the Commonwealth Games by turning out in numbers and cheering on the Baton” For further information about the Commonwealth Games and Queens Baton Relay events in St Davids visit: www.pembrokeshire. gov.uk/glasgow2014.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Police warn motorists after thefts from cars in Haverfordwest

Published

on

‘LOCK your car’ drivers are warned, following a two-day spate of thefts in Haverfordwest.

Eight thefts were reported between January 13 and 14, from unlocked cars parked across the town.

Officers are advising people to double check they have locked their cars, and to remove valuables from vehicles overnight.

Among the stolen items was over £1,000 in cash, a laptop, a number of bank cards, a Stihl chainsaw, worth £700, and beauty products worth around £650. Many items have since been recovered.

Two men, aged 20, have been arrested on suspicion of theft from a motor vehicle, and a third man, aged 19, on suspicion of handling stolen goods, in connection to the thefts. All three have been released under investigation while enquiries continue.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Dyfed-Powys Police either by calling 101. If you are Deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

Quote reference: DPP/0030/14/01/2020/01/C

Continue Reading

News

Milford Haven: Police appeal after hair salon burgled

Published

on

POLICE in Milford Haven are investigating a burglary at Cut-Away Hair Salon, Priory Street, which occurred at approx. 3am on Thursday (Jan 16).

Around £200 in cash has been stolen, some of which was donations intended for a local charity.

Officers are keen to speak to anyone with information which could help the investigation, and in particular, anyone in the Priory Street area who has CCTV.

T/Sergeant for Milford Haven, Haydon Mathias, said: “Burglaries to small, local businesses like this cause distress and disrupt both the owner and the wider community. Rest assured we are doing all we can to identify the suspect and bring swift justice for the victim.”

Business owners are being advised to take appropriate steps to secure their properties:

“Don’t leave large sums of money in the premises overnight, and install CCTV– affordable cameras are readily available online.

“Specialist officers are able to provide crime prevention advice to any business with concerns about the security of their property, whether you have been a victim of crime or not.” Sgt. Mathias continued.

Continue Reading

News

Milford Haven: Appeal for information after museum windows smashed

Published

on

MILFORD HAVEN MUSEUM is asking for help after vandals struck around midnight, January 15.

The museum, based on The Docks, posted on Facebook saying: “Last night at around midnight three youths thought it would be funny to throw a traffic cone at one of the windows at the museum, breaking two panes of glass.
“If anyone saw anything please let PC Baxter 856 know by calling 101.”

Continue Reading
News3 days ago

Police warn motorists after thefts from cars in Haverfordwest

‘LOCK your car’ drivers are warned, following a two-day spate of thefts in Haverfordwest. Eight thefts were reported between January...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Police appeal after hair salon burgled

POLICE in Milford Haven are investigating a burglary at Cut-Away Hair Salon, Priory Street, which occurred at approx. 3am on...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Appeal for information after museum windows smashed

MILFORD HAVEN MUSEUM is asking for help after vandals struck around midnight, January 15. The museum, based on The Docks,...

News3 days ago

Antibiotics for sore throat symptoms service at some local pharmacies

A NEW service to determine if a patient requires antibiotics for sore throat symptoms is available at 18 pharmacies across...

News3 days ago

Plan ahead of railway upgrade work, says Network Rail

NETWORK RAIL and Transport for Wales are reminding passengers that buses will replace trains between Carmarthen and Pembroke Dock from...

News4 days ago

Penally: Former Chequers nightclub licence hearing delayed

AN APPEAL hearing against a decision by Pembrokeshire County Council to grant a licence for a new nightclub has been...

News4 days ago

Takeaway owner jailed – ‘unfit to run a kitchen’

The former owner of a food outlet in Cilgerran has been jailed for four months after he was branded “unfit...

News5 days ago

Milford Haven: Man suspected of ‘trying doors’ arrested say police

FOLLOWING many reports on social media about someone trying doors in the Milford Haven area a man has been arrested,...

News5 days ago

Pembroke Dock takeaway fined for failing to display hygiene rating

A FOOD business operator has been fined the maximum amount of £1,000 for failing to correctly display a Food Hygiene...

News5 days ago

Council issues Pembrokeshire weather report

THERE are a number of reports relating to localised minor surface water flooding throughout the county making driving conditions difficult....

Popular This Week