Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Labour leader calls for action over chief

Published

on

paul millerAT a public meeting last night (Aug 19), concerned Pembrokeshire people were urged by Cllr Paul Miller to ask their councillors to taking action against Bryn Parry-Jones.
The Pembrokeshire Herald caught up with the  Labour leader at the County Show, who said: “There has been a lot talk and speculation in the media about the future direction of the council. Lots of people are angry about whats been going on, and this was the chance to talk to me and ask any questions of me about the situation. The only thing that is going to change the thinking of the council leadership and force them to act is the public coming together and making their voices heard. The Pembrokeshire public need to lead this campaign, and make sure we get real change for the county.
Our correspondent asked Cllr Miller how the meeting went last night, and he said: “We discussed the scandals which  have plagued the council over the last few years, including Mik Smith, Bryn Parry Jones’ pension, and the recent accusations in the press about Bryn Parry Jones conduct in office.”
When asked if the meeting was a success Cllr Miller replied: “Yes, there was tremendous support for action from the public, over one hundred attended, and I have every confidence that the public will force change in Pembrokeshire County Council.”
He added: “There were lots of people with questions, and lots of people were angry about what has gone one. There is a feeling that people are being ignored.”
What are the next steps.
The Labour group on the council is today calling for Bryn to be formally suspended, not just to be enjoying additional paid holiday, and for the formal disciplinary process to be started. This will investigate the numerous allegations.
Continue Reading
5 Comments

5 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Cabinet to decide on £165,000 of grants

Published

on

THE PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Cabinet will meet next week (Monday, Nov 2) to decide on grants totalling almost £165,000.

The Cabinet will consider nine recommendations for approval for grants under the Second Home Council Tax – Community Element Enhancing Pembrokeshire Grant scheme.

The scheme uses funds from raised from a Council Tax premium on Second Homes and empty properties in the county.

Among the projects applying for support is Age Cymru Dyfed, which wants to promote and provide outreach services from Haverfordwest throughout Pembrokeshire.

The Pembroke Dock Heritage Centre is applying for money to help the centre gain nationally recognised museum accreditation.

And a project by Resilience Network Pembrokeshire seeks to champion and develop allotments, encouraging new sites and community growing land.

The Cabinet meets remotely at 10am on Monday, Nov 2 and the meeting will be webcast live.

Continue Reading

News

Crabb defies government over free school meals

Published

on

STEPHEN CRABB, MP for Preseli Pembrokeshire, says his abstention in a vote on extending free school meals during school holidays to English students eligible for them was a protest against the UK Government.

Although the Welsh Government decided to retian provision for children who qualify for free school meals to cover half terms until Easter 2021, Pembrokeshire’s two MPs have endured a huge social media backlash for their voting record on a similar scheme for England.

Simon Hart MP has been ‘named and shamed’ by The Daily Mirror for voting with his Government to remove the free school meals the holiday for 1.4 million of the most vulnerable children in England.

Stephen Crabb MP, abstained from voting on the bill – a decision he says was done in protest to let his government know he did not agree with their views.

Mr Crabb has spoken previously of his background. He came from a single parent family, was raised in a council house and receivws free school meals.

Many social media users took Crabb’s decision not to vote as a decision that was just as bad as voting with the government with some branding him a hypocrite.

Taking to his Facebook page, Crabb defended his decision.

He told his constituents: “I took a decision to abstain on the vote, which is a well-recognised form of protest. I have made it very clear to the Government that I do not agree with them on this issue.”

Even though Crabb abstained from voting, he told his followers that the free school meal provision wasn’t the way to tackle the problem of child poverty.

He added: “I am supportive of the holiday provision of free school meals but I think we also need to be looking at solutions that go beyond just vouchers. The main poverty charities I speak to have different views about whether vouchers are effective or not.
“I did not like the nature of the Labour Party’s debate in the Commons last Wednesday and I think some of the abuse being thrown around is appalling. The vote last week would have had no material impact on provision even if it had passed.”

Mr Crabb added: “More widely, whilst the issue of free school meals is important, ultimately we should be aiming to lift people out of poverty so that they no longer need this support. I have spent much of the last few months working hard on the campaign to keep the temporary £20 uplift to Universal Credit.
“The UK Government introduced a much welcome per-week increase in UC at the start of the crisis but this measure will expire in April, unless the Government commits to an extension.”

Mr Crabb assured his Pembrokeshire constituents he will continue to try and tackle child poverty.

He added: “I have spent a large proportion of my time in Westminster over the last few months campaigning on the issues of child poverty and pushing for more support for families on low incomes. I will continue to make this a priority.”

Continue Reading

News

Webpage details penally camp information

Published

on

A WEBPAGE has been set up to keep residents of Penally and the surrounding areas up to date with key information relating to the housing of asylum seekers at the MoD base in the village.

The web page here includes a list of frequently asked questions relating to the site.

Residents are urged to check the page for updates.

People will also be able to find links to virtual community meetings held on the issue, Pembrokeshire County Council press releases regarding the camp and a contact email address for further information.

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader Cllr David Simpson said: “It is important for residents to be able to find information about the camp easily and to know that information is accurate, collated by the Council, Dyfed-Powys Police and the Home Office.

“Hopefully the FAQs will answer some of the questions that are being asked and we will have the ability to update and add further information to the page as required.”

Continue Reading
News2 hours ago

Webpage details penally camp information

A WEBPAGE has been set up to keep residents of Penally and the surrounding areas up to date with key...

News2 hours ago

Welsh Health Minister defends retail restrictions

THE WELSH Health Minister, Vaughan Gething, faced stiff today (Monday, Oct 26) questioning over retail restrictions during the current ‘firebreak...

News1 day ago

Second fire-break lockdown is likely early next year says Deputy Economy Minister

A SECOND fire-break lockdown is likely in Wales in early January or February, a Welsh Government minister has warned. Deputy...

News1 day ago

Driver mounted pavements and hit parked vehicles after drinking two bottles of wine

A MAN who got behind the wheel of his car after drinking two bottles of wine, mounted pavements and crashed...

News3 days ago

Man arrested at marina, police dog finds ‘drugs’ next day

A MAN was arrested at Milford Haven Marina following an alleged incident involving domestic assault. Police officers were seen in...

News4 days ago

‘Firebreak’ lockdown comes at right time as Pembs covid cases continue to rise

TOMORROWS’s ‘firebreak’ lockdown is coming at an extremely important time for Pembrokeshire as numbers of positive coronavirus cases rise in...

News5 days ago

Two banned from county after ‘disturbance’ at Penally Asylum Centre

TWO asylum seekers have been banned from entering Pembrokeshire while investigations take place into a disturbance at a military training...

News6 days ago

Pembrokeshire lockdown ‘disproportionate’ as cases locally were below trigger-point

PEMBROKESHIRE was plunged into the Welsh Government’s ‘fire-break’ lockdown even though the County does not meet the criteria for a...

News2 weeks ago

Sageston: Sex offender who was chased from street by protestors jailed

A SEX offender who was removed from his home to get him away from a protest over his release, breached...

News2 weeks ago

Magistrates issue thousands of pounds worth of fines for lockdown breaches

A MAN who travelled from Swansea to Pembrokeshire to buy five sacks of potatoes has been fined for breaching Covid...

Popular This Week