Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Wind turbine appeals lost

Published

on

turbsA PLANNING INSPECTOR has upheld a decision by Pembrokeshire County Council to refuse planning permission for two separate wind turbine applications near Castlemorris.

The appeals by James Richards and Jon Watson-Miller were dismissed by Inspector Kay Sheffi eld because they would have an unacceptably adverse effect on the character and visual amenity of the landscape together with an impact on local archaeology.

James Richards applied to build a 500kW 79 metres high turbine at Melin Penbanc in February 2013. At the same time Jon Watson- Miller applied for a similar size turbine at Pen y Banc, also near Castlemorris. The applications were refused by Pembrokeshire County Council in October last year and both applicants appealed.

In reaching her decision Inspector Sheffi eld said that the main issues in the appeal concerned the effect of the proposed developments on the character of the landscape and visual amenity of the area, including the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. She also considered the effect of the applications on the historic landscape with regard to the setting of nearby Scheduled Ancient Monuments – two chambered tombs of national importance.

In reaching her conclusion the Inspector said that while she acknowledged that the two proposed turbines were capable of making a signifi cant contribution to national targets for renewable energy and provide economic and environmental benefi ts to the local area, she did not consider it suffi cient to outweigh the unacceptably adverse effect their development would have on the character on the landscape. She also concluded that the turbines would fail to protect or enhance the setting of the Scheduled Ancient Monuments.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Coronavirus patient being treated at Withybush intensive care unit, say staff

Published

on

STAFF working at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest have confirmed that there is a patient in intensive care suffering from Covid-19.

A Health Board spokesperson told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “COVID-19 is circulating in our communities and our hospitals are not exempt from this.

“An enormous amount of planning and preparations have taken place in our hospitals and they are set-up to care for both patients who have COVID-19 and those who don’t. Patients will be signposted appropriately through our hospitals.”

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Covid-19 grants for small businesses now being distributed

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism, Leisure and Culture, Paul Miller, has announced that payments to businesses started today (April 1).
Said Councillor Miller: “The team have been working flat out to get this scheme up and running as we know just how important this support is to business right now.
“Government promised the money would be with us by the 1st April and, now that the first tranche of cash has arrived, we have started distributing that support to our businesses.
“We undertook a short test run yesterday to make sure the system was running correctly and from today we are running daily payment runs so that as many can be processed in the shortest possible time.”

The following grants are available to small businesses to support the costs associated with the impact of Covid-19 on their businesses as follows;
• small business grant funding of £10,000 for all business in receipt of small business rate relief or rural rate relief;
• grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000.
Councillor Miller added “I know our local businesses are doing all they can to sustain jobs and livelihoods. Our job is to get assistance to them as quickly and efficiently as possible.”

Continue Reading

News

The Country Food Trust’s helping hand

Published

on

Yesterday The Country Food Trust’s amazing Trustee and chef Tim Maddams drove from Dorset to West Wales and, with the help of Founding Trustee Andrew Stone, loaded his van with all the ready meals that we have left and went out on his first delivery run.

He delivered over 1,000 meals to Patch Charity in Milford Haven, run by the amazing Tracey Olin before returning home to Dorset.

Tracey Olin said “We are overwhelmed with the amazing donation from The Country Food Trust. We always struggle most with having meat meals. This will help so many people. Meeting Tim Maddams was also lovely”.

A spokes person for The Country Food Trust said “Big thanks to Simon Hart MP for Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire and Secretary of State for Wales for alerting us to the need at this amazing charity.”

Continue Reading
News11 hours ago

Coronavirus patient being treated at Withybush intensive care unit, say staff

STAFF working at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest have confirmed that there is a patient in intensive care suffering from...

News12 hours ago

Covid-19 grants for small businesses now being distributed

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL’S Cabinet Member for Economy, Tourism, Leisure and Culture, Paul Miller, has announced that payments to businesses started...

News16 hours ago

Pembrokeshire County Council Leader’s coronavirus update

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Leader, Councillor David Simpson, has provided a further coronavirus update for Tuesday, 31st March, as follows: ‘I...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council housing services update

FOLLOWING the most recent Government guidance, Pembrokeshire County Council’s housing department has had to cut back on all face-to-face meetings...

News5 days ago

Police turn away caravans and campervans heading for Pembrokeshire

PEMBROKESHIRE is currently closed to visitors’ is the message from Dyfed-Powys Police as officers work to prevent the spread of...

News6 days ago

Be a considerate neighbour during the coronavirus lockdown

DURING the current lockdown, Pembrokeshire County Council has seen an increased number of complaints from members of the public who...

News6 days ago

Pembroke Dock: PC Garland arrests wanted man after recognising his distinctive tattoo

A PEMBROKESHIRE police officer identified and arrested a man suspected to be part of a criminal group after recognising his...

News1 week ago

Valero oil refinery worker tests positive for coronavirus

EMPLOYEES at Valero Oil Refinery have been sent emails confirming a member of staff has tested positive for coronavirus. It...

News1 week ago

Hand sanitiser donation helps keep Welsh RNLI volunteers safe

RNLI volunteers at St Davids and Aberystwyth have received a donation of alcohol-based hand rub based on the formula from...

News1 week ago

Pembrokeshire business advice – Covid-19

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has issued a range of information and advice for local businesses in light of the coronavirus pandemic....

Popular This Week