Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Couple narrowly escapes Tunisia resort massacre

Published

on

tunisia-isis-terrorists-attack-touristsA RETIRED Milford couple narrowly escaped execution in the Tunisian beach massacre last week. Speaking exclusively with The Herald were Ann and Ken Mansell, who recounted the terrifying ordeal at the private beach of the Riu Imperial Marhaba hotel on the Tunisian Sousse resort, where 38 people were killed on Friday June 26. 

Ann explained what happened: “We were on the beach, as we were each day, and at lunchtime we heard what we thought was fireworks, which went on for a few seconds, and then kept going. As I turned, I realised it was someone firing guns, my husband caught me by the hand and we ran along the beach, over rough ground, with bullets flying and whizzing around – you could hear them hitting things and ricocheting.”

smithpembrokeshire copyad1

Ken continued, saying: “I got up and out of the corner of my eye I saw him shoot. I could see his face – he was 5xsunbeds away – He aimed straight at the first two set of deckchairs. I grabbed my wife’s hand and ran up the beach.”

Asking Ken how long it took to be sure what was going on, he replied: “Seconds.”

Continuing to describe their flight from terror, he said: “We ducked down behind a wall. I looked up and 12 foot away was the gunman changing his magazine. So I grabbed the wife by the hand and said ‘run’ we passed a point below where people had gone and we continued diving over a wall behind some bushes, and with that, he dropped a hand grenade in this well – which we found out later was a spa and changing rooms below.  He walked past us firing. He was heading towards the hotel, with shouting and screaming and gunshots. There were more hand grenades, so there had to be more than one of them. We just laid there. Pretending to be dead.”

Asked what they then saw on the beach after the shooting, Ken continued by describing the horrific scene: “From sunbed number one, on the right of the concrete path, they were all dead, all covered over. I got to our sunbed and I could see bodies, loads, covered over. There were empty casings strewn on the beach “

He explained that the nearest body from where they were sitting, was in fact the adjacent sun lounger. He went on to talk about the victims, who were also residents of the hotel in which they were staying.

“One couple used to come down the concrete path from the dining room, going to the left of the beach; on this morning they went to the right, because they were late. We had just seen them.”

He stated the couple had been unaccounted for, thus were the margins for life and death during the horrific massacre.

Finishing, Ken said: “Every time I go to think about something all I think about is this gunmen, spraying the first burst of gunfire, and then I see him changing magazines.”

 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Latest HS2 cost rise sparks fresh Welsh funding row

Published

on

Welsh Government and Liberal Democrats say Wales is being ‘short-changed’ as high-speed rail bill could reach £102.7bn

THE WELSH GOVERNMENT has renewed calls for Wales to receive a fair share of rail funding after the latest figures showed the cost of HS2 could rise to as much as £102.7bn.

Deputy Minister for Transport Mark Hooper said the figures made it “clearer than ever” that Wales was being short-changed by the UK Government’s approach to the high-speed rail project.

HS2 has been classified by the Treasury as an “England and Wales” scheme, despite the line not entering Wales. The classification means Wales does not receive the same Barnett consequential funding that would normally follow spending on a transport project in England.

Mr Hooper said: “The latest figures showing HS2 will cost up to £102.7bn make it clearer than ever Wales is being short-changed by the UK Government’s approach.

“HS2 has been classified as an ‘England and Wales’ project – despite not a single centimetre of track being laid in Wales.

“This is not acceptable. Every pound denied to Wales is a pound that cannot be invested in the integrated, modern transport network that our communities deserve.”

The row over HS2 funding has become one of the longest-running disputes between Cardiff Bay and Westminster over infrastructure spending.

Rail infrastructure is not fully devolved in Wales, and the UK Government has previously argued that HS2 should be treated as a project benefiting both England and Wales. Welsh ministers, however, say that position is unfair because the line is being built entirely in England.

The latest cost estimate comes after UK Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander gave a statement to the House of Commons on the future of HS2, confirming that the project could now cost between £87.7bn and £102.7bn, with services between London and Birmingham not expected to begin until between 2036 and 2039.

The project has already been significantly scaled back, with previous plans for high-speed lines to Manchester and Leeds cancelled.

Welsh Liberal Democrat Westminster Spokesperson David Chadwick MP said HS2 had become “a textbook example of Government mismanagement”.

He said: “After years of delays, spiralling costs and broken promises under the previous Conservative Government, taxpayers across the UK are now being left to pick up the bill.

“At the very least, Wales must now receive the consequential funding it is owed so we can invest in desperately needed transport infrastructure here at home.

“The Labour Government can no longer hide behind accounting tricks to deny Wales funding that Scotland and Northern Ireland rightly receive as a matter of fairness.

“There is simply no justification for Wales continuing to be short-changed.”

Welsh ministers argue that if HS2 had been treated as an England-only project, Wales would have received billions of pounds in additional funding through the Barnett formula.

Mr Hooper said securing Wales’s share would now be a “central priority” in the Welsh Government’s relationship with Westminster.

He added: “We are committed to pressing the UK Government to right this wrong and ensure Wales receives the funding it is owed.”

The issue is likely to remain a major point of tension as the new Welsh Government seeks investment for rail, bus and integrated transport improvements across Wales.

 

Continue Reading

News

Flood alert issued for Pembrokeshire coast

Published

on

Residents urged to prepare as flooding possible between St Dogmaels and Amroth

A FLOOD alert has been issued for the Pembrokeshire coast by Natural Resources Wales.

The alert covers the coastline between St Dogmaels, Cardigan and Amroth, where flooding is possible.

Residents are being urged to be prepared, check flood plans, and make sure family members, pets, vehicles, livestock and important belongings can be moved to safety if needed.

Natural Resources Wales is also advising people to keep mobile phones charged, know how to turn off electricity, gas and water supplies, and prepare a small emergency bag with essential items including medication, chargers, warm clothing, baby and pet supplies, sanitary items and insurance documents.

People are warned not to drive or walk through floodwater. Just 30cm of water can carry a car away, while 15cm can knock a person off their feet.

For more information, visit the Natural Resources Wales flood warning service or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188, using quick dial number 503013.

 

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Tony Christie brings farewell show to Torch Theatre

Published

on

LEGENDARY singer Tony Christie is coming to Milford Haven as part of his Great Farewell tour.

The veteran performer, best known for hits including Is This the Way to Amarillo and I Did What I Did for Maria, will appear at the Torch Theatre on Thursday, June 25, at 7:30pm.

Christie, born Anthony Fitzgerald in Yorkshire in 1943, began performing as a teenager and went on to enjoy a career spanning more than six decades.

His breakthrough came after signing with MCA Records in 1969, with the 1970s bringing huge success and more than 10 million record sales.

He later enjoyed renewed fame when Peter Kay helped introduce Amarillo to a new generation, making the song one of the best-known British pop hits of the modern era.

The Great Farewell show will celebrate Christie’s long career, taking in his classic hits and the songs that made him one of Britain’s most enduring entertainers.

A limited number of VIP packages are available, including the best seats, access to Tony’s sound check from 4:15pm to 5:00pm, a meet-and-greet with Tony and his wife Sue, and a goody bag containing a personally dedicated signed CD and 10×8 photograph.

Tickets cost £30, with VIP tickets priced at £80.

Bookings can be made at torchtheatre.co.uk or through the Box Office on 01646 695267.

 

Continue Reading

News5 hours ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg9 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime1 day ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community1 day ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime1 day ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health2 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community3 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health4 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government4 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News4 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Popular This Week