News
Inquest concludes suicide after woman went overboard

THE INQUEST into the death of a woman who jumped overboard a ferry in order to kill herself, was heard at the Pembrokeshire Coroners’ Court today (Feb 23).
Jennifer Massi lived at Dagmar Court on Cornwall Road, and was 24-years-old at the time of her death.
Jeremy Davies, Coroner’s Officer for Dyfed-Powys Police told the court that Ms Massi was born in the Kongo in Africa, and was one of two children. She attended Southgate College and took a Business Studies course, and later worked in a dental practise.
Mr Davies said: “The loss of her brother affected her deeply. She suffered with psychosis and was receiving medication. At 8.31am on December 2, Dyfed-Powys Police were made aware of a missing person believed to have gone overboard the ferry, travelling from Pembroke Dock to Rosslaire.
“The coastguard reported that her property was found on the vessel, which included a coat, a mobile phone and a bank card.”
Mr Davies explained that she had travelled on the Eurolines coach from London to Pembrokeshire. The driver of the coach had not realised she was missing until the ferry docked in Ireland, and had said that she had tried to deport the coach a number of times on the way to Pembrokeshire.
Ms Massi was living alone in a one bedroom flat, and suffered with mental health. She had discharged herself from recovery.
Mr Davies continued: “CCTV showed Ms Massi entering the reception area and went on the ferry at 2.10pm. At 2.40pm, the driver of the coach went onto deck 9 for a smoke, and saw Ms Massi there. He went inside at 2.45pm and she was still there.
“Her belongings were found on deck 9, and a text on her mobile phone from a person called Lorraine, who was concerned for her welfare and urged her to make contact on receipt of the message.”
A body was later found on the shore of Milford Haven. Dyfed-Powys Police couldn’t attend as it was only accessible through vessel or air. The body was airlifted to Haverfordwest Aerodrome.
Mr Davies explained that the body matched the description of Ms Massi, and in her pocket was a coach ticket with her name on.
On Monday, December 5, Ms Massi’s father formally identified her body at Withybush Hospital.
Pembrokeshire Coroner, Mark Layton read a report by Dr Ruth Cloocke, who said Ms Massi had an established diagnosis of resistant paranoid schitzophrenia, and had a record of drug misuse.
The court heard that the severe loss of her brother, who was killed in a random act of violence, had affected her greatly, but she had mental health problems since she was a teenager. At age 15, she was removed from her mother’s care after she attempted to take her own life.
She was unable to live alone, and was looking forward to moving into supported accommodation. However, just four days before she was going to move into her new home, she was told it was no longer available.
Mr Davies said: “This had a devastating effect. She started a fire at her previous address, and claimed to have started it accidentally with a cigarette.
“At 2pm that day, she went to her father’s address, but did not tell him about the fire. She accepted a phone call and said she was travelling to the Kongo with her father later that day.
“That was the last communication she had with her family and mental heath professionals.”
Mr Davies explained that she had repeatedly attempted suicide, with incidents such as overdosing on paracetamol and Jack Daniels, thoughts of slashing her wrists and taking 50 paracetamol tablets and drinking bleach.
The court heard that on one occasion, she was found sitting in the dark by herself with two knives, and said she wanted to take apart her hair. Her hair, which was in braids at the time, had been cut off and was on the floor.
Mr Davies said: “In October 2016 she had contemplated suicide, such as walking into a circular road and getting run over. She had low self worth, and had thought about jumping from a bridge, but she denied an intent to act.”
However, Mr Davies said she did act on her thoughts on December 1.
A post-mortem report by Dr Daniel Houza, explained that there was a low level of alcohol which could have been produced after her death, but she had ultimately died through unnatural causes, in particular, drowning.
Mr Mark Layton said that looking at her history of mental health problems, and how deeply affected she was by the death of her brother, the court concludes that Ms Massi took deliberate steps to end her life.
Mr Layton concluded that she committed suicide, and passed on his condolences to the family, who were absent at the inquest.
Entertainment
Cardigan musician to perform climate fundraiser concert
CLASSICALLY trained Cardigan musician Rosalind Powell will perform a concert of original alternative pop songs next month in aid of Cardigan Extinction Rebellion.
The concert, Singing for the Future, takes place at St Mary’s Old School Hall, Cardigan, on Saturday, June 6, at 7:00pm.
Rosalind, who has a music degree from Cambridge University, is a composer, pianist and teacher of piano, singing and music theory.
The concert will show another side of her musicianship, with a programme of original songs drawn from her three albums, Sound Eagle, Circumference and Dragonfly.
It follows a successful recent launch event for Sound Eagle at the Cellar Bar.
Rosalind said: “Climate change and biodiversity loss are issues that I care deeply about, and I’m so pleased to be able to give my support through music.
“Our future is threatened by the climate and nature crises, but so many people are doing positive things to improve the situation and bring us hope. I’m glad this fundraiser will help towards that.”
Tickets will be available on the door, with a suggested price of £8, although those who cannot afford the full amount can pay less. Teas, coffees and cakes will also be available.
Rosalind’s Sound Eagle album recently received a warm review from The Pit London music site, which described it as “a dreamy and reflective world” and praised its blend of alternative pop, soft jazz influences and classical piano.
Rosalind said she has already been featured on 15 radio stations, will perform at Llangollen Fringe’s Music Around Town event in September, and is planning a West Wales tour later this year.
The concert falls on the first day of Great Big Green Week. Weather permitting, Cardigan Extinction Rebellion will also hold a street stall on Wednesday, June 10, giving away plants, seeds and information about gardening for wildlife.
News
Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident
Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response
A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to Redberth Croft on Tuesday evening (May 19), prompting a road closure while emergency services made the area safe.
The incident happened just off the A477 at Redberth, where a vehicle caught fire and rolled into a hedge and the new entranceway to Redberth Croft.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and successfully extinguished the blaze.

In a statement shared on social media, Redberth Croft thanked firefighters for their rapid response.
The business said: “A huge thank you to the Fire Brigade for their swift response in safely putting out a car fire that rolled into our hedge and new entranceway at Redberth Croft.
“Thankfully nobody was hurt, and we’re incredibly grateful for the professionalism and quick action of the emergency services.”
Photos from the scene show the vehicle completely burnt out, with extensive damage to the engine bay and interior, as firefighters worked nearby.
Motorists were warned to avoid the area while the road remained closed for safety reasons.
Redberth Croft added: “Please be aware that this is just off the A477 next to our new entrance, and the road is currently closed while the area is made safe. Please avoid the area and take care if travelling nearby.”
It is not yet known what caused the fire or whether any other vehicles were involved.

Photo caption:
Burnt out: Fire crews at the scene after a car rolled into the hedge near the entrance to Redberth Croft (Pics: Redberth Croft)
Community
Milford Haven mourns loss of ‘legend’ Muci Power
Tributes pour in for former Lord Kitchener landlord
TRIBUTES have flooded in from across Milford Haven following the death of Alan Edward Thomas “Muci” Power, remembered as a “true legend” and one of the town’s best-known characters.
Mr Power, affectionately known as Muci, passed away suddenly but peacefully at Withybush Hospital on Sunday, May 10, aged 79.
Best known to many as the former landlord of the Lord Kitchener public house in Milford Haven — affectionately known as “The Kitch” — Muci became a familiar and much-loved figure in the town, known for his humour, friendship and larger-than-life personality.
The devoted husband of Meryl, father, grandfather and great-grandfather leaves behind a family at the centre of Milford life, while countless friends have spoken of the memories they shared with him over many years.
The Royal British Legion paid tribute, saying: “Rest in peace, Muci. You will be dearly missed by us all here at the Royal British Legion. Thank you for the memories and your presence in our community. Our thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones during this difficult time.”
Hundreds of tributes have also been posted online, with many describing Muci as a “Milford legend” whose passing marks the end of an era.
Friends remembered good times at The Kitch, where Muci was at the heart of local life for many years.
Ryan Hackett wrote: “Will have a T.A.C. for you mate on Tuesday. Will miss you Matey. Another Milford legend gone.”
Simon Jenkins said: “Muci was one in a million, a true legend. Milford has lost a true gent.”
Many spoke of his warmth and generosity, with Nigel Hackett thanking him for “being there when I needed someone.”
Muci was the devoted husband of Meryl, dearly loved father and father-in-law of Karl and Claire, and Hayley and Roy, proud grandfather of Morgan, Sam, Caitlin and Jay, and adored great-grandfather of Amalie.
His funeral service will take place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth, on Tuesday, May 26, at 11:30am.
For those wishing to pay their respects, the hearse will leave the Lord Kitchener, Charles Street, Milford Haven, at 10:40am.
Immediate family flowers only.
All enquiries to Tom Newing & Sons Ltd, Funeral Directors, Dartmouth Street, Milford Haven, SA73 2AN. Tel: 01646 693180.
-
News5 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime7 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime7 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime7 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime7 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime7 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime7 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station







