Politics
Greyhound racing set to be banned as Welsh Government plans confirmed
THE WELSH Government has announced plans for Wales to become the first nation in the UK to ban greyhound racing.
Huw Irranca-Davies, the Deputy First Minister, told the Senedd that a ban will come into force as soon as practicably possible.
He said: “There will be work to do in ensuring the dogs, their owners, and those involved in the industry around the racetrack, can wind down from this activity while still protecting the welfare of dogs currently within the industry, the local community and the local economy.”
In a statement on February 18, Mr Irranca-Davies pointed to cross-party support and a petition signed by more than 35,000 calling for a ban on greyhound racing.
Senedd Members from across the political divide supported a ban during a debate last week. Valley Greyhound Stadium in Ystrad Mynach is the last remaining track in Wales.
Caerphilly MS Hefin David has called on the Welsh Government to consider the flood impact a ban could have if the greyhound track closed.
He said: “The track in Ystrad Mynach is on a flood plain and I understand that the owners have introduced flood mitigation, as well as clearing up following flooding.
“A ban would close the track, leaving derelict land on a flood plain adjacent to my constituency.
“Any implementation group planned by the Welsh Government must consider this and any financial commitment required to remediate the land.”

In December, New Zealand – where the industry is worth £73m a year and employs 1,000 people – announced plans for a ban due to injuries and the deaths of dogs.
Mr Irranca-Davies said: “We also note what is happening in other countries across the world who are taking steps to ban this activity.
“As a result, I believe that now is the right time to move to ban greyhound racing in Wales – we are proud to be the first nation in the UK to do this.”
Mr Irranca-Davies explained the next step will be setting up an implementation group to advise the Welsh Government on how a ban will come into force.
He told the Senedd: “I’m pleased to share with the Senedd that I have seen the strength of feeling on this and I have listened.”
The Conservatives’ Peter Fox said his party’s members would have a free vote on the issue, with his colleague Andrew RT Davies warning greyhound racing could go underground.
Mr Fox added that he would visit the greyhound track to take a balanced view on the plans but he added: “I think the evidence is very, very powerful.”
Llyr Gruffydd welcomed the announcement, pledging Plaid Cymru’s support and questioning if it will be possible to pass legislation due to a mounting logjam before the 2026 election.
He said: “But you did say you wanted it to happen ‘as soon as possible’ and therein lies the small print, I suppose, because the government does need to show diligence and an adherence to proper process otherwise you leave yourself open to challenge.”

Mr Gruffydd also stressed the need to consider the potential unintended consequences such as illicit, unregulated racing or dogs being raced across the border.
Mr Irranca-Davies agreed about the need to avoid the risk of jeopardising animal welfare, saying a clearer timetable will be set out in the spring.
Labour’s Carolyn Thomas said: “There are well over 35,000 people who are pleased and relieved to hear this statement today, banning greyhound racing in Wales.”

Ms Thomas, who chairs the Senedd’s petitions committee and cross-party group on animal welfare, added: “I feel we’re really leading the way here…. This is a good day for thousands of animals in Wales and I’m so excited and so pleased to hear this.”
Welsh Lib Dem leader Jane Dodds, who has a rescue greyhound called Wanda, said: “I have to say, there are not many times where I stand up in the Siambr and I’m smiling.
“But this is one of those days. This is a landmark statement, it does very clearly demonstrate the commitment that Wales has to looking after our animals.”
Ms Dodds, whose first rescue greyhound called Arthur died in 2023, paid tribute to the “Cut the Chase” coalition of charities for their campaigning on the issue.

She told the Senedd: “I also want to pay tribute to all those greyhounds who’ve gone before and all those who will come after as well.”
The Mid and West Wales Senedd member said Arthur was traumatised by his experiences.
“I learned a lot from him,” she said. “He could sleep at 100 miles an hour but he was absolutely devastated by his experiences on the track.
“And we lost him three years later – far, far too early.”
Ms Dodds said: “Many of us have seen the trauma and the injuries … their suffering has been needless, their abuse has been unnecessary and their pain has been unavoidable.
“But, from today, we need to mark this in the sand and make sure that this stops.”
Mark Bird, chief executive of the Greyhound Board of Great Britain, said: “This announcement has nothing to do with greyhound welfare and everything to do with pressure from the extreme animal rights movement.
“The Welsh Government’s own summary of consultation responses highlighted the lack of evidence to support the case for a ban on the sport. This summary made clear there has been a coordinated campaign against licensed greyhound racing, seeking to drown out the voice of local people including those whose livelihoods rely on the sport.
“Questions should be asked as to why, despite repeated requests, the minister has failed to meet with the industry in Wales, or its regulator, and preempted his own timeline to make this call.
“Meanwhile, the minister has engaged on numerous occasions with campaign groups known to use shock tactics and misleading information to achieve their ends.
“We have engaged in the consultation process in good faith as regulator for the sport, but this statement is hugely disappointing and will do absolutely nothing to support greyhound welfare.”
Business
New facilities at Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club agreed
A CALL by a Pembrokeshire shooting club for more disability-friendly facilities has been given the go-ahead by county planners.
In an application to Pembrokeshire County Council, Haverfordwest Target Shooting Club, through agent Andrew Sutton Architecture, sought permission for an extension to existing target shooting club building at The Firing Range, Withybush Road, Haverfordwest to improve accessibility and internal facilities, together with associated landscaping works.
A supporting statement said: “The club’s own published history states it was founded in 1968, moved from the Drill Hall to the old wartime airfield butts at Withybush by the early 1970s, and had developed facilities over time, including the clubhouse by 1999. The established leisure/community use has existed on the site for a number of years and the proposal does not seek to intensify the core activity beyond that already authorised/established.”
It added: “The primary objective of the scheme is to improve inclusive access to the club’s facilities for disabled users and those with reduced mobility. The internal arrangement will provide adequate entrance and lobby space, clear accessible routes and appropriately designed sanitary accommodation, including an accessible wetroom/shower and separate WC.”
It also said accessible parking and surfacing designed to provide a firm, even, slip-resistant route from parking to the principal entrance.
It added: “The Equality Act 2010 places duties on service providers to make reasonable adjustments so that people with additional access needs are not placed at a substantial disadvantage.
“The proposal is therefore a positive enhancement to a community/leisure facility and supports wider policy objectives for inclusive environments.”
It went on to say: “The club operates within a highly controlled environment, and the proposed works will maintain and enhance safety and security measures.”
The application was conditionally approved by planners.
News
Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.
Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.
However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.
The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.
Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.
Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.
She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.
“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”
Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.
Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.
News
Welsh Conservatives demand clarity over EHRC guidance in schools
THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have called on the Welsh Government to clarify whether new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance will be implemented in schools across Wales.
Shadow education minister Sam Rowlands MS has written to Cabinet Minister for Education and the Welsh Language Anna Brychan MS following the UK Supreme Court ruling on the Equality Act.
Mr Rowlands said schools, teachers, governors and parents needed clear answers on how the guidance would apply in practice, including on single-sex spaces, safeguarding, changing facilities and sports participation.
He said: “Parents, teachers and pupils deserve clarity from the Welsh Government.
“Schools cannot be left in limbo while ministers avoid making a decision on such an important safeguarding and legal issue.
“The Equality Act applies in Wales, and schools now need clear guidance on what this means in practice.”
In his letter, Mr Rowlands asks whether updated guidance will be issued to schools in Wales, whether schools will be expected to amend existing policies, and what advice will be given to headteachers on safeguarding and compliance with the Equality Act.
He also asks whether the Welsh Government intends to diverge from the approach set out by the EHRC.
The letter says schools and parents require “clear and consistent guidance” to ensure the rights, dignity and safety of all pupils are respected.
-
News1 day agoWatchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks
-
Crime3 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
News2 days agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime4 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime4 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News4 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties
-
Crime5 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Crime4 days agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






