Connect with us


Magnificent seven for Nomads



Neyland 7
Saundersfoot Sports 3

On form: Two-goal Leigh Power looks to turn the Sports defender.

On form: Two-goal Leigh Power looks to
turn the Sports defender.

NEYLAND were too good for Saundersfoot Sports on Saturday as they romped to a 7-3 victory over Saundersfoot Sports. Both sides came into the game off the back of impressive wins in their last games and despite a slow start Neyland roared back to take the victory. There were just two minutes on the clock when Saundersfoot took the lead as George Taylor robbed Paul Hannon of the ball before running on and firing a shot into the top of the net.

However, that lead only lasted a minute as Gary Power was sent through on goal and he lifted the ball over the keeper and into the net. Saundersfoot’s players were convinced that Power had handled the ball in the build-up but their appeals fell on deaf ears. Neyland were then gifted a second goal when Sports keeper Ben Evans played the ball straight to Joe Charlton who curled the ball into the bottom right corner to give the Nomads the lead.

The Sports looked to get back into the game and came close on a couple of occasions as Jack Parkinson saw a shot go narrowly over the bar. Saundersfoot almost levelled with fifteen minutes gone when Neyland’s keeper spilled a cross from Sam Coleman and Parkinson’s follow up effort was well saved. Neyland had a third goal ten minutes before half time as Leigh Power headed the ball home from a corner.

They added a fourth nine minutes into the second half when Nathan Warlow tapped in after keeper Ben Evans failed to gather a cross. The home side were not finished there and they had a fifth just five minutes later. Leigh Power got on the end of a forward cross and his header looped in over the keeper. With twenty minutes to go Joe Charlton was brought down in the box and referee Ben Williams pointed to the spot.

Charlton picked himself up and sent the keeper the wrong way to make it 6-1. Saundersfoot did not give up and grabbed a consolation goal five minutes from time when Sam Coleman shot low into the bottom corner. Two minutes later Neyland added a seventh when sub Aaron Mcquillan went on a mazy run into the box but after his shot was saved Sam Laugharne tapped the ball home.

Neyland were reduced to ten men with one minute of the ninety remaining as Wayne Parry was shown a second yellow card for a late tackle. Then in stoppage time Saundersfoot added a third goal when Matt Webb tapped in after an initial header hit the bar. The win sees Neyland move up to fourth in the table while Saundersfoot remain in the bottom two. Neyland will look to continue their good run of form when they take on leaders Hakin next week. Saundersfoot will look to bounce back as they play St Clears.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Bluebirds return to winning ways as Veale’s free kick sinks Archers



HAVERFORDWEST County got back to winning ways on Tuesday night (Sept 27) as they beat Cardiff Met 1-0 at the Ogi Bridge Meadow.

Jamie Veale’s second half free kick proved enough for Tony Pennock’s side who now sit seventh in the JD Cymru Premier table.

In the third minute, Dylan Rees sent a ball forward to Jack Wilson but his cross was pushed away by Met keeper Alex Lang.

A miss-timed header then sent Jordan Davies in but his effort was blocked.

The Bluebirds continued to search for the opener and on 27 minutes, a pass from Elliot Scotcher sent Wilson in but he saw his shot saved. The rebound fell to Jordan Davies but his shot was blocked.

Towards the end of the half, Met pushed forward and Matt Chubb went on a good run down the right but he saw his shot go wide.

Harry Owen also tried his luck but saw his shot saved by County keeper Zac Jones and the sides went in at the break with the score locked at 0-0.

There was an even start to the second half as both sides looked to dominate. A cross into the Met box was headed clear by Emlyn Lewis while Craig Davies sent a cross in at the other end but no one could get on the end of it.

On 72 minutes Jordan Davies reacted quickly to head the ball goalwards but he saw his effort go over the bar.

Four minutes later though the Bluebirds were awarded a free kick wide on the left. Veale took it and the ball floated all the way in to give the home side the lead.

Wilson then saw a shot go wide as the Bluebirds looked to make the points safe.

The Met pushed late on as Eliot Evans saw a shot deflected wide while Sam Jones shot over the bar in time added on.

The Bluebirds held on for a welcome win, with Rhys Abbruzzese being named player of the match.

Continue Reading


Whitland earn win at Pembroke



WHITLAND earned their first win of the season on Saturday (Sept 24) as they beat Pembroke 20-33.

Pembroke landed an early penalty through Harry Fletcher but the visitors hit back with two converted tries.

There was another penalty for Fletcher to make it 14-6.

Whitland thought they had another try when Callum Evans touched down but it was harshly ruled out as the referee had spotted some crossing moments before.

The visitors then scored another try which was also converted as they took a 6-21 lead in at the break.

Pembroke hit back in the second half with tries from Lloyd Davies and Sam Smith who finished off after a barnstorming run. Fletcher added both conversions.

Whitland pulled away though with further tries to seal the win.

Liam Price scored a hat trick of tries for Whitland and others came from Ianto Davies and Geraint Jones. Jones added the rest of the points from the boot.

On Saturday, October 1, Pembroke travel to Llanelli Wanderers while Whitland host Llangennech.

Continue Reading


Kilgetty edge Clarby in seven-goal thriller



KILGETTY made it two wins from two on Saturday (Sept 24) as they beat Clarbeston Road 4-3.

Ben John put Clarby ahead after eight minutes but their lead only lasted for two minutes.

Adam Johns levelled for Kilgetty and ten minutes later Josh Bevan put his side ahead.

Richard Cope then made it 3-1 to the visitors shortly after the half-hour mark.

Clarby were not out of the game though and on the stroke of half time John scored his and Clarby’s second to make it 2-3.

It remained that way until the 89th minute when Rheinallt George put the goal in his own net to all but seal the points for Kilgetty.

There was still time for more goals as Richard Bevan scored in the 92nd minute to make it 4-3.

They were unable to find a late equaliser though as Kilgetty held on for the win.

On Saturday, October 1, Kilgetty face Angle in the first round of the Senior Cup. Clarbeston Road are also in action in the Senior Cup as they host Carew, both matches kicking off at 1:45pm.

Continue Reading

News11 hours ago

Everyone is welcome to the latest Community Open Day at Milford Haven mosque

FOLLOWING the wonderful success of the open days at Milford Haven mosque on September 10 and 11, Milford Haven’s Islamic...

News1 day ago

£200 Fuel Support Scheme payments begin

AROUND 7,000 Pembrokeshire households will receive payments direct into their bank accounts this week under the Welsh Government’s Wales Fuel...

Health2 days ago

‘Serious concerns’ as Hywel Dda Health Board confirms closure Johnston Surgery

EXCLUSIVE GP SERVICES in Johnston will stop at the end of October, The Pembrokeshire Herald can reveal. Current patients registered...

Crime2 days ago

Haverfordwest man ‘had 500 child abuse images’

A HAVERFORDWEST man accused of making more than 500 indecent images of children will stand trial at crown court. Paul...

Crime2 days ago

Fishguard man accused of three counts of making indecent images of a child

A FISHGUARD man accused of three counts of making indecent images of a child and one charge of possessing a...

News6 days ago

Crew rescued after fishing boat broke down at sea

A DRAMATIC rescue took place off the coast of Pembrokeshire on Monday night after a fishing boat failed to arrive...

News1 week ago

Mount Estate man’s car had £73k worth of weed in the boot

A MOUNT ESTATE resident described by his barrister as ‘a gentleman’ tried to stop police looking in his car because...

News1 week ago

The world watches HM Queen Elizabeth II laid to rest in state funeral

THE QUEEN’S state funeral is taking place with ceremonial processions in London and Windsor today. This is the latest update...

News2 weeks ago

Pembrokeshire solider chosen to stand guard around coffin of The Queen

A SOLDIER from Pembrokeshire has been chosen to stand guard around the coffin of HM Queen Elizabeth II as she...

News2 weeks ago

Thousands line streets to welcome King Charles and Queen Consort to Wales

KING CHARLES and the Queen Consort have visited Cardiff for their first official visit to Wales since the death of...

Popular This Week