Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Man jailed for murder of “cherished daughter, family member and dear friend”

Published

on

A MAN has been sentenced to life imprisonment after admitting the murder of his estranged wife in Cardiff.

Appearing at Cardiff Crown Court today (Feb 20), Thisara Weragalage, aged 38, of Pentwyn, was given a life sentence with a minimum term of 23 years and nine months for the murder of Nirodha Niwunhella.

Weragalage had initially pleaded not guilty but later changed his plea, admitting the offence before the court on January 16, 2025.

The family of 32-year-old Niwunhellage Dona Nirodha Kalapni Niwunhella, known as Nirodha, paid tribute following her death, describing her as “a cherished daughter, family member and dear friend to many”.

They said: “We remember Nirodha as a cherished daughter, family member and dear friend to many. Nirodha will be forever remembered with peace, love and gratitude.

“She touched many lives with her kindness and warmth and her memory will continue to inspire us. Though her life ended too soon, the love she shared will always remain with us.

“Rest in peace angel.”

In a victim personal statement read to the court, her father said: “My only daughter was Nirodha Kalpani Niwunhella. She was a happy, mischievous, playful girl who captivated everyone’s hearts as a child. She loved her mother and father dearly and was a very good friend to her friends. She was a sweet girl who also loved animals.”

He added: “I am 64 years old and my wife is also 64 years old. The pain and anguish we felt when we were informed on August 21 that our daughter had been murdered cannot be described in words. After the brutal murder of our only daughter, all our hopes were ruined. Her loss is an unbearable mental burden for the family.

“We faced a lot of problems because this crime took place abroad. We were further affected by communication difficulties and economic hardships. We were further hurt and mentally distressed after it was confirmed that this crime was committed by our daughter’s husband. We still cannot understand how he could have committed this heinous crime, as we loved him also as much as we loved our daughter.”

Emergency services were called to South Morgan Place in the Riverside area of Cardiff at 7.37am on August 21, following reports of a seriously injured woman. Officers located a broken knife blade and handle nearby, and a post-mortem examination later revealed Nirodha had been stabbed at least twenty times.

Police officers who arrived first at the scene began immediate first aid, followed shortly afterwards by paramedics. Despite their efforts, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

Witnesses reported seeing a man — later identified as Weragalage — fleeing in a Ford Fiesta. Fast-track CCTV enquiries confirmed the vehicle was registered to him.

Less than an hour later, officers received a welfare-related call via the ambulance service concerning an incident on Seawall Road. Attending officers identified the man as matching the description circulated in connection with Nirodha’s death. A search of the nearby area located the Ford Fiesta, which contained blood inside, and Weragalage was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Graham Williams said: “Nirodha was beloved by her family and friends, and her life was ended by her jealous and cowardly former partner.

“Nirodha was in the process of separating from Weragalage, who could not accept that she no longer wanted to be in a relationship with him. He brought knives to the area which he said were to intimidate her and then went on to murder her.

“I’m pleased he owned up to his cowardly actions and spared Nirodha’s loved ones from enduring a trial. While no sentence can compensate for this loss of life, I hope the end of criminal proceedings helps bring them some peace.

“This sentencing is the result of countless hours of work from teams across the force, and I’d like to thank everyone involved for their time and efforts to secure this outcome. I’d also like to thank those from the community who supported our investigation throughout.

“We will not stand for violence in any form, including violence against women and girls, and we will do everything in our power to hold those responsible to account.”

 

Crime

Milford Haven man admits assault and harassment charges

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN has admitted assaulting a family member and harassing another relative following incidents in the town last year.

Wayne Whatling, 39, of Howarth Close, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).

Whatling changed his pleas to guilty to one charge of assault by beating and one charge of harassment without violence.

The assault charge relates to an incident in Milford Haven on September 13, 2025, when Whatling assaulted Ben Whatling by beating him.

He also admitted pursuing a course of conduct amounting to harassment against Carol Whatling between September 1 and September 13, 2025.

The court heard the harassment allegation involved repeatedly asking Carol Whatling for money, with the complainant said to have feared repercussions if she did not provide it.

Magistrates adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

Whatling was remanded on conditional bail and ordered not to contact Carol or Ben Whatling directly or indirectly.

He is due to be sentenced at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (June 9).

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.

Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).

Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.

The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.

Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.

The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.

Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.

His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.

He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.

Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.

A spokesperson for Nos Da said the incident was connected with rooms upstairs at the Victoria Road premises, and did not take place in the bar itself, in the licensed area.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage

Published

on

A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.

Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.

She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.

McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.

She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.

Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government1 day ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community1 day ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime1 day ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community1 day ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government2 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community2 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime3 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News3 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News3 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg4 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week