Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Published

on

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven

A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused of driving dangerously through temporary roadworks and running over a traffic management worker’s foot.

Mark Crane, 45, of Honeyborough Grove, Neyland, denies a charge of dangerous driving following an incident on Hamilton Terrace, Milford Haven, on December 10, 2024.

The court heard that Ian Lloyd was working as a traffic management operative at roadworks on the street and was manually controlling traffic using a stop-and-go sign.

Giving evidence to the jury, Mr Lloyd said he had turned the sign to “stop” to halt traffic and allow vehicles travelling in the opposite direction to proceed.

He told the court that he saw a grey Toyota estate approaching and did not initially recognise the driver until the vehicle stopped beside him.

Mr Lloyd alleged that Crane then “aggressively took off”, driving over his foot as he moved away. The jury also heard claims that the manner of driving caused other motorists to take evasive action.

Asked about the injury, Mr Lloyd said his toes hurt from pressure against the steel caps in his boots but confirmed he did not seek medical treatment.

Crane, giving evidence in his own defence, told the court that he and Mr Lloyd were neighbours and described their relationship as “not a positive one”.

He said he had been travelling to a dog-walking job when he encountered the temporary traffic controls.

Crane told the jury that Mr Lloyd appeared distracted and was “looking around” rather than concentrating on traffic management. He said he checked for oncoming vehicles himself and believed it was safe to continue.

He denied driving dangerously and told the court he believed Mr Lloyd was standing on the pavement as he passed.

Crane also claimed he believed Mr Lloyd struck his vehicle with either the stop sign or his fist during the incident.

The trial continues at Swansea Crown Court.

 

Crime

Cocaine deaths spark regional summit across West Wales

Published

on

Health, police and support services unite after rising concerns in Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire

COCAINE has been identified in a significant number of drug-related deaths across Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire over the past year.

Frontline teams have also reported rising incidents of violence, aggression and criminal justice involvement among people accessing drug and alcohol support services.

Dyfed-Powys Police data shows cocaine is now the force’s second most seized drug, and remains widely used across a range of settings.

In response, the Dyfed Area Planning Board brought together representatives from health, policing, commissioned services, social services and community organisations for a regional summit aimed at understanding the scale of the problem and agreeing joint action.

Hywel Dda’s Community Drug and Alcohol Team opened the event with an overview of emerging substance use trends. Dyfed-Powys Police then shared enforcement intelligence, while Public Health Wales provided a national perspective on stimulant use.

Clinical specialists also outlined the impact of cocaine use on maternity services, blood-borne virus transmission, exercise culture and the night-time economy.

The summit concluded with harm reduction training and group discussions focused on strengthening prevention, treatment pathways and community support across West Wales.

Steve Reynolds, Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service manager, said: “DDAS are incredibly encouraged by the success of this cocaine summit. Cocaine-related harms are complex and evolving, and through collaboration and open dialogue we can respond effectively.

“The summit reinforced the importance of reducing stigma, expanding access to support, and ensuring that people who use our services receive compassionate, person-centred care.

“We remain committed to working with partners in developing practical actions that improve outcomes for individuals, families and communities.”

Detective Superintendent Gareth Roberts, of Dyfed-Powys Police, said: “It was a pleasure to host this valuable event at Dyfed-Powys Police.

“As a force, we are committed to working in partnership to improve the health, wellbeing, and safety of our communities as we work hard to reduce the risk of drug-related harm.”

Craig Jones, Hywel Dda Prevention and Population Health Improvement Manager, said: “This summit marks the beginning of a coordinated regional effort to reduce harm, improve outcomes and strengthen support for individuals, families and communities affected by cocaine use.

“Partners will now work together to address availability, risk reduction and access to support.”

Anyone experiencing problems with substance use, or anyone seeking more information about the Community Drug and Alcohol Team, can visit hduhb.nhs.wales/drug-and-alcohol.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Farm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns

Published

on

Council awarded control of animals after magistrates hear claims of unlicensed breeding

A PEMBROKESHIRE farm owner has appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court after 26 dogs were removed from her care under animal welfare legislation.

Rachel Roberts, of Penlan Oleu, Puncheston, appeared in court on Friday (May 1) in relation to an application brought under Section 20 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 following action by Pembrokeshire County Council.

The court heard that 26 dogs had been taken into possession, including spaniels, dachshunds, poodles, chihuahuas and six puppies.

It was alleged in court that Roberts had been breeding and selling dogs without the appropriate licence, and that some animals had not received the correct vaccinations.

Magistrates granted the application, allowing Pembrokeshire County Council to take control of the dogs and make decisions about their future, including rehoming.

Roberts was also ordered to pay £99,463.35 in costs to the council.

RSPCA investigation

An RSPCA investigation was reportedly opened last year after images emerged of horses said to be in poor condition.

The Herald has also been contacted by a concerned member of the public, who provided videos and photographs which they claim show a dead horse concealed beneath wooden pallets.

The source further alleged that a person staying at the property had witnessed a horse being dragged by its neck using a tractor.

These claims have not been independently verified by The Herald.

Wider allegations

The Herald has also been told that other members of the family may have been involved in the sale of dogs from the property, with allegations that animals were later sold outside Pembrokeshire.

The paper understands that Roberts’ daughter, Eliza Roberts, has previously appeared before the courts in connection with dog-related offences.

Roberts, 36, was sentenced to three months in prison and banned from owning animals for seven years after pleading guilty to two counts of possession of a fighting dog and one count of being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control.

The charges followed an incident in Hanwell, near Banbury, on March 26, in which a schnoodle named Winnie was killed by two XL Bully dogs, Kobi and Kardi.

At the sentencing hearing, Roberts was ordered to pay £1,295 compensation, and a destruction order was made for the dogs.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Man remanded in custody over assault and criminal damage allegations

Published

on

Goodwick defendant accused of assault and damaging property as magistrates refuse bail

A GOODWICK man has been remanded in custody after appearing before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court charged with assault and criminal damage.

Scott Hughes appeared before magistrates on Monday (May 18) following allegations relating to an incident in Goodwick.

The court heard Hughes is accused of assault by beating during an incident at an address in Stop and Call, Goodwick, on Saturday (May 16).

He also faces a charge of criminal damage after allegedly damaging property during the same incident.

Hughes did not enter pleas at Monday’s hearing.

Magistrates refused bail and remanded him in custody ahead of a further hearing.

The court was told bail was refused due to concerns Hughes was likely to cause injury or fear of injury to an associated person and because of concerns regarding possible interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.

He is due to appear again before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (May 26).

 

Continue Reading

Crime30 seconds ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community12 minutes ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government4 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community1 day ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime1 day ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg2 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime3 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community3 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Popular This Week