Community
Lydstep Haven swimming warning lifted after sewerage repairs
BATHERS have been told they can return to the water at Lydstep Haven after warnings linked to a pollution incident were lifted.
Pembrokeshire County Council had advised people not to swim at the beach after an “abnormal situation” was declared earlier this month over concerns about bathing water quality.
Natural Resources Wales has now confirmed that the status has been lifted following repair works to a private sewerage system.
Water samples taken in the days after the repairs indicated that the bathing water was no longer being affected.
Signage warning people not to swim will now be removed by the council.
An NRW spokesperson said: “The ‘abnormal situation’ status at Lydstep Haven beach in Pembrokeshire has been lifted by Natural Resources Wales.
“The lifting of this status means that Pembrokeshire County Council is no longer advising people not to swim at Lydstep Haven.
“The private operator has carried out repair works to their sewerage system and results from several water samples taken indicate the bathing water is no longer being impacted.
“NRW is continuing its investigation into any possible regulatory breaches.”
Community
Safe Haven Homeless breakfast raises more than £170 in Whitland
A FUNDRAISING breakfast held at The Station House pub in Whitland has raised more than £170 for Safe Haven Homeless CIC.
The event saw supporters gather at the pub, where landlord Mike provided a dedicated area for the organisation to display leaflets and posters, sell mugs, and explain more about its plans.
Collection tins were placed on each table and organisers said several generous donations were made during the morning.
Safe Haven Homeless CIC is being set up to provide a safe location, together with a wider support package, for homeless people who are desperate to get their lives back on track.
Organisers said the money raised would go towards the group’s work and help demonstrate to grant funders that the organisation is able to raise support locally.
A spokesperson said: “We intend to fund our initial start-up costs from grant funding, and by holding events like this we show grant funders that we are capable of raising funds ourselves.”
Safe Haven Homeless is also in the process of having a website built, which is expected to include a donations portal. The front page is currently live at www.safe-haven-homeless.org.uk, with OROGO Advertising working on the full site.
Photos:
Dave, founder and general manager, with his wife Lynne; director Steve Cox; supporters at the breakfast; the display area; and The Station House, Whitland.






Community
Caffi Festri opens as new community café in Dinas Cross
A NEW community café has opened in Dinas Cross, offering affordable food and drink in a welcoming space for local families, dog walkers and visitors.
Caffi Festri opened on Wednesday (May 20) under the tenancy of local chef Lydia Taylor, who is well known in the area.
Lydia previously owned and worked as chef at Tides in Newport, and has now taken on the lease at Caffi Festri with the aim of giving something back to the community which has supported her.

The café has been set up at her own expense and is intended to provide a friendly, accessible space where people can enjoy good food and drink at affordable prices.
Caffi Festri is both dog-friendly and child-friendly, with a small play corner available for younger visitors.
The café is also supporting local creativity by showcasing work from local artists and makers, including Thomas J E, a local blacksmith, and James Fels, a local painter.
Those behind the project say the aim is to create more than just a café, but a community space where people can meet, relax and feel welcome.
Caffi Festri is now open in Dinas Cross.






Community
Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success
STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED
PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last year’s event, which drew families, visitors, horses and stalls to Monkton.
The fair will take place on Saturday (May 23) at the Community Centre Field, Pembroke, SA71 4LS, with free entry and everyone welcome.
Last year’s gathering was praised locally for its community spirit, with Pembroke Street Pastors paying tribute to organiser Charlie Price and county councillor Aaron Carey describing it as “very well organised”.
The event brought together horse owners, stall holders and local families, despite poor weather at times.
This year, organisers are again inviting stall holders to take part. A horse drive is also planned from 12:00pm on Sunday (May 24).
Anyone interested in further information or hosting a stall is asked to contact Charlie Price.

-
News6 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community5 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime1 day agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime2 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime2 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
News10 hours agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
News2 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties





