News
Nation of Sanctuary to stay under new Welsh Government, confirms Deputy First Minister
Andrew RT Davies attacks policy as ‘irresponsible’ while ministers insist Wales will continue supporting refugees and asylum seekers
THE Welsh Government has confirmed it will continue its controversial “Nation of Sanctuary” programme under the new administration, prompting criticism from Conservative Senedd Member Andrew RT Davies.

The issue became a major point of contention during the recent Senedd election campaign, with parties on the political right – most notably Reform UK – repeatedly attacking Wales’ approach to asylum and refugee support. Critics argued the policy risked placing additional strain on public services and acted as a “pull factor” for migration, while supporters said it reflected Welsh values of compassion and practical support.
In a written question to the Welsh Government, Mr Davies, who represents Pen-y-bont Bro Morgannwg, asked whether ministers intended to scrap the Nation of Sanctuary programme.
Responding on Thursday (May 21), Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Social Justice and Equality Sioned Williams confirmed the policy would remain in place.
She said: “While Wales does not currently have the power to decide who seeks asylum here, we can treat those who arrive with decency, provide support and opportunities to contribute to their communities, and ensure they can rebuild their lives safely and with dignity.
“We are committed to protecting the Nation of Sanctuary vision and ensuring the principles underpinning this vision are embedded across government policy and practice.”
The Nation of Sanctuary plan was introduced by the Welsh Government to support refugees and asylum seekers living in Wales, helping provide access to healthcare, housing, education and community support.
Although politically controversial, much of the scheme in recent years has focused on supporting people fleeing the war in Ukraine through UK Government visa routes. Councils and support organisations across Wales have helped Ukrainian families with accommodation, school places, healthcare access and settling into communities.
However, the programme is not limited to Ukrainians and also applies more broadly to refugees and asylum seekers already placed in Wales under UK immigration arrangements.
Mr Davies criticised the decision to retain the policy, saying it was the wrong priority for the new administration.
He said: “This is completely irresponsible from Plaid Cymru separatists.
“The Nation of Sanctuary is a pull factor that encourages more people to come to Britain illegally.
“The separatists’ commitment to embed the policy across government will take resources away from public services and distract from their administration’s day-to-day functions.”
Supporters of the scheme argue that asylum and immigration policy itself remains controlled by Westminster, with the Welsh Government instead focusing on how people already living in Wales are supported while their cases are processed.
With immigration remaining a politically charged issue across the UK, the future of Wales’ Nation of Sanctuary programme looks set to remain a battleground in Senedd politics.
Welsh Conservative Senedd Leader Darren Millar MS said the flag remains an important symbol of solidarity with Ukraine and opposition to Russia’s illegal invasion.
Meanwhile, Welsh Conservative Senedd Leader Darren Millar MS said: “I support the flying of the Ukrainian flag outside our parliament.
“It’s a visible sign of the Senedd’s resolute opposition to Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine.
“Having visited Ukraine last year with one of Reform’s MSs I am surprised and disappointed by their position.”
Community
Funding from wind farm helps expand community electric car scheme
WELSH communities have benefited from more than £3.3m in renewable energy funding during 2025, according to a new report by RWE.
The company’s 2025 Community Fund report says its renewable energy projects invested £5.7m into community funds across the UK, including more than £3.3m in Wales.
Among the projects supported is the Dolen Teifi community electric car share scheme, which received help from the Brechfa Onshore Wind Farm Fund.
The scheme provides affordable shared access to electric vehicles for more than 400 registered users in a remote rural area, helping people reach education, healthcare and other essential services.
It also reduces transport costs and carbon emissions, while a team of volunteer drivers supports disabled and vulnerable residents.
RWE’s funding initially supported the salary of a part-time volunteer coordinator and helped provide a six-seater accessible electric vehicle.
The project has since secured lottery and government funding, allowing it to expand across West Wales with a fleet of more than 12 vehicles and hundreds of volunteer drivers.
In North Wales, a three-year funding package from RWE’s Clocaenog Onshore Wind Farm Fund has helped support the South Denbighshire Community Partnership, which works across the rural Ederynion area.
The partnership provides services including Meals on Wheels, community transport, prescription delivery, parent and toddler groups, and exercise classes.
Margaret, chief executive of SDCP, said: “We are delighted to be in receipt of funding from Clocaenog Wind Farm Fund.
“We know the positive impact that the services we are able to provide with it has on our service users and communities. Without this support, we wouldn’t be able to provide those services.”
Katy Woodington, of RWE, said: “Our community funds are all about putting local people in control, with a key feature being an independent community panel made up of local residents, who play a central role in shaping priorities and deciding how funding is allocated.
“With over £78.5m committed to community projects over the lifetime of our Welsh operating renewable generation portfolio, it will be really exciting to see what communities can achieve.
“RWE remains committed to putting communities at the centre of the energy transition, ensuring a brighter, more equitable future, one small project at a time.”
RWE says first-generation wind farms have invested more than £24.9m into Welsh communities neighbouring their sites.
Over their lifetime, wind farms operated by RWE Renewables are expected to invest more than £78.5m into Welsh communities.
Community
Lydstep Haven swimming warning lifted after sewerage repairs
BATHERS have been told they can return to the water at Lydstep Haven after warnings linked to a pollution incident were lifted.
Pembrokeshire County Council had advised people not to swim at the beach after an “abnormal situation” was declared earlier this month over concerns about bathing water quality.
Natural Resources Wales has now confirmed that the status has been lifted following repair works to a private sewerage system.
Water samples taken in the days after the repairs indicated that the bathing water was no longer being affected.
Signage warning people not to swim will now be removed by the council.
An NRW spokesperson said: “The ‘abnormal situation’ status at Lydstep Haven beach in Pembrokeshire has been lifted by Natural Resources Wales.
“The lifting of this status means that Pembrokeshire County Council is no longer advising people not to swim at Lydstep Haven.
“The private operator has carried out repair works to their sewerage system and results from several water samples taken indicate the bathing water is no longer being impacted.
“NRW is continuing its investigation into any possible regulatory breaches.”
Community
Safe Haven Homeless breakfast raises more than £170 in Whitland
A FUNDRAISING breakfast held at The Station House pub in Whitland has raised more than £170 for Safe Haven Homeless CIC.
The event saw supporters gather at the pub, where landlord Mike provided a dedicated area for the organisation to display leaflets and posters, sell mugs, and explain more about its plans.
Collection tins were placed on each table and organisers said several generous donations were made during the morning.
Safe Haven Homeless CIC is being set up to provide a safe location, together with a wider support package, for homeless people who are desperate to get their lives back on track.
Organisers said the money raised would go towards the group’s work and help demonstrate to grant funders that the organisation is able to raise support locally.
A spokesperson said: “We intend to fund our initial start-up costs from grant funding, and by holding events like this we show grant funders that we are capable of raising funds ourselves.”
Safe Haven Homeless is also in the process of having a website built, which is expected to include a donations portal. The front page is currently live at www.safe-haven-homeless.org.uk, with OROGO Advertising working on the full site.
Photos:
Dave, founder and general manager, with his wife Lynne; director Steve Cox; supporters at the breakfast; the display area; and The Station House, Whitland.






-
News7 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community6 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
News21 hours agoPaul Davies meets Openreach Cymru at the Senedd to discuss Full Fibre rollout
-
Crime2 days agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime2 days agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime2 days agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime4 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
News2 days agoMilford man admits handling stolen goods from three local properties







