Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Milford Haven: Port’s ‘winter storm heroes’ to become TV stars

Published

on

ruffBATTLING STORMS with winds gusting up to 100mph is all in a day’s work for the marine team at the Port of Milford Haven.

Their fascinating jobs are being showcased on Channel 4 this Sunday (April 12) at 8pm as part of a documentary called ‘Britain’s Winter: Storm Heroes’.

The TV crew filmed the team earlier in the year when the storms were at their worst and the team’s experience and skills played a vital part in ensuring Britain’s biggest energy Port remained open for business.

There are 50 members of the Port’s marine department working in a variety of roles from harbourmasters and marine pilots to coxswains and vessel traffic systems operators.  Their meticulous planning, extensive training and stringent safety procedures allow them to safely berth some of the world’s largest vessels in challenging weather conditions.

Harbourmaster at the Port of Milford Haven Bill Hirst, said: “Our staff are responsible for ensuring that large ships that often weigh up to almost 180,000 tonnes are able to safely enter the Port and navigate through the channel onto a berth with great accuracy. However it is down to the extensive training and their expertise that enables them to do this 24/7, 365 days of the year. I am very proud of the team and am looking forward to everyone else witnessing the great work they do on a daily basis in what can be very tough conditions.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Leading hospitality company Loungers announced for Western Quayside development

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL and Loungers, one of the UK’s leading hospitality companies, are pleased to announce they have agreed headline terms for Loungers to become the first tenant of the fantastic Western Quayside development in Haverfordwest.

Loungers intend to occupy the ground floor of the building which is an important element of the Council’s long-term regeneration plan for the County Town. 

Loungers was founded in 2002 and is famous for its family-friendly, welcoming atmosphere, eccentric and spectacular interiors and great food and drink offers.

The company runs Lounge café bars across the UK – including the Cofio Lounge at the Guildhall, Carmarthen – combining elements of coffee shop culture, the British pub and dining. 

Cllr Paul Miller, Pembrokeshire County Council Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Place, the Region and Climate Change, said: “I’m really pleased to be in a position to announce the first tenancy for Western Quayside. Loungers shares our ambition and potential for the Western Quayside development in the centre of Haverfordwest.

“Western Quayside will play a key role in improving footfall and vibrancy in Haverfordwest and Loungers fits perfectly into that vision.

“An important part of Loungers’ ethos is the community element of its neighbourhood café bars and commitment to work with local groups, charities, organisations and businesses and we look forward to that continuing in Haverfordwest.

“As a Council we have been clear that we will not just sit back and let our town centres decline and this is an important step forward. 

“We look forward to announcing further tenants in due course and of course to opening Western Quayside later in 2024.”

Gemma Irwin, Community Manager at Loungers, says: “We’re so looking forward to opening our Lounge in Haverfordwest later this year.  We hope our family friendly environment and top-notch food and drink offering will prove popular with local residents. 

“We’re passionate about integrating genuinely into the communities we serve so we’re looking forward to meeting everyone and to playing our part at the heart of Haverfordwest’s food and drink scene.  

“Anyone looking for a space to host events or groups should pop in once we’re open, we’d love to hear from them and see what we can do to help.”

Continue Reading

News

Oil worker’s dream to be a homeowner shattered by gazumping Council

Published

on

THOMAS SPIERS, a 55-year-old Operations Coordinator at Puma Oil Terminal and father of three, has been left without his dream home after Pembrokeshire County Council outbid him by £15,000. Mr. Spiers, a long-time resident of Milford Haven, had his heart set on a property at 63 Haven Drive, only to find his efforts thwarted by the council’s late intervention.

Mr. Spiers, who has been privately renting for a decade with aspirations of homeownership, stumbled upon what he believed was the perfect fixer-upper in January through RK. Lukas estate agents. Despite the property’s need for substantial work, he saw potential in the £100,000 ex-council house, which had been on the market for six months with two previous sales falling through. After viewing, Mr. Spiers promptly made an offer of £95,000, which was accepted by the seller.

The joy of this acceptance was short-lived. After proceeding with the necessary legal and financial preparations, including giving notice to his landlord and paying solicitor’s fees for property searches, Mr. Spiers was blindsided. Just days before the scheduled contract exchange, he was informed of a new £110,000 offer from Pembrokeshire County Council, effectively ending his purchase plans.

The council’s bid, coming after a property viewing in October 2023 and amidst a 16% hike in council tax rates, has raised questions about its timing and motives. Mr. Spiers, who found himself in a precarious position with his sons’ housing at stake, reached out to the council and local MP Stephen Crabb, he says only to be met with unfulfilled promises of callbacks and auto-replies.

The situation highlights the challenges faced by private individuals competing in an increasingly difficult housing market. Mr. Spiers voiced his frustrations over what he perceives as an injustice by the council, particularly in light of their late and significantly higher offer. Fortunately, his current landlord has allowed him to remain in his rental for now, stopping him from being made homeless, but leaving him out of pocket by approximately £1,000 in solicitor’s fees.

Stephen Crabb MP told The Herald: “Mr Spiers emailed me on Monday afternoon when I was speaking in the House of Commons chamber. He received the usual auto-reply message to show that his email had been received.

“The auto-reply makes clear that all emails from constituents who request my assistance with a casework problem will receive priority attention, which normally means within a few days. I receive around 200 emails each day and have to prioritise cases according to urgency.

“Whilst I am sorry to hear about the circumstances in which Mr Spiers’ house purchase fell through, there is actually nothing that a Member of Parliament could have done to prevent it.

“This is a private contractual matter and the questions that need to be asked are of Pembrokeshire County Council, and whether they have acted appropriately.

“It would be appropriate for Mr Spiers to contact his County Councillor who will be able to offer support with this.”

Pembrokeshire County Council have been asked to comment.

Continue Reading

Health

New X-ray equipment plan at Tenby Cottage Hospital revealed

Published

on

X-RAY services at Tenby Cottage Hospital are to receive a major boost thanks to an investment of £625,000 in brand new equipment which is being installed at the Hywel Dda Health Board-run site over the next few weeks.

The equipment, funded by Welsh Government, will allow the unit not only to provide the highest quality images but will also mean patients with reduced mobility or advanced clinical needs can be more easily accommodated.

However, in order to install the new equipment, x-ray services will be temporarily unavailable in Tenby Cottage Hospital until Friday, 19April 2024.

Over the next few weeks, imaging for GP patients will be provided on an appointment only basis at South Pembrokeshire Hospital in Pembroke Dock between 9-5pm.

Patients attending the Minor Injuries walk-in centre can still attend Tenby Cottage Hospital but may be sent to Withybush if an x-ray is required. Alternatively, patients can choose to attend Withybush Emergency Department directly.

John Evans, Pembrokeshire County Director for Hywel Dda said: “We are delighted that Tenby Cottage Hospital will be receiving brand new and up to date x-ray equipment thanks to this investment from Welsh Government.

“We apologise for any inconvenience caused over the short period of time while the equipment is being installed but look forward to providing an improved level of care for Tenby community patients into the future.”

Patients needing further help or information should contact the radiology departments at Withybush Hospital on 01437 773385 or South Pembrokeshire Hospital on 01437 774018.

The health board is reminding people not to attend busy A&E departments unless they have a critical, life-threatening emergency and asking people to choose their healthcare services very carefully, so that only people with urgent or emergency care needs are being seen in A&E. 

Continue Reading

Farming1 day ago

Farmers protest as Drakeford arrives to open engineering centre

PROTESTS erupted as First Minister Mark Drakeford arrived at Coleg Llandrillo, Rhyl, to inaugurate a new engineering centre. Approximately 200...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire man’s tragic end following partner’s death

A MAN from Pembrokeshire took his own life three weeks after the passing of his partner, an inquest was informed...

News2 days ago

Pembrokeshire council tax rise ‘could lead to failed budget’

A PROPOSED 16.3 per cent council tax increase in Pembrokeshire could see the council failing to set a budget for...

Community2 days ago

Heavy rain leads to flood alerts and closed roads in Pembrokeshire

FOLLOWING a night of heavy rain, Natural Resources Wales has issued a series of flood alerts for multiple areas across...

Crime2 days ago

20-year-old accused of making indecent images of children

A HAVERFORDWEST man has appeared before a district judge charged with making 74 indecent category A images of a child....

News2 days ago

Calls for sea defences for flood-hit village turned down

A COUNCILLOR’S call to be able to speak on a potentially much-cheaper alternative to a bypass for the flood-hit village...

News3 days ago

Independent Group opposed to ‘unprecedented’ Council Tax hike

CABINET proposals recommending a significant increase in Council Tax rates by 16.31% for the fiscal year 2024/25 AND the following...

News4 days ago

Milford Haven mourns loss of former top-cop

MILFORD HAVEN is morning the loss of a great man, following the passing of retired local policeman Detective Inspector Billy...

Health5 days ago

Significant disruption expected during second junior doctors strike, says WG

URGENT and life-threatening care will continue to be provided during second junior doctors strike in Wales this week, but significant...

Business6 days ago

‘We want to work’: Tata Steel workers protest over proposed cuts

HUNDREDS of people have taken part demonstrations against the anticipated elimination of numerous positions within the steel sector. Tata Steel...

Popular This Week