News
Fishguard: Chamber of Trade focus on micro-loans

Nicola Edwards, Finance Wales
FISHGUARD and Goodwick Chamber of Trade and Tourism’s recent meeting had a packed agenda, hearing from Nicola Edwards, Micro loans Fund Manager at Finance Wales.
Nicola, who joined the meeting to highlight potential funding options available from Finance Wales, manages a team of six staff based all over Wales making micro loans of between £1,000 and £50,000 to Welsh start-ups and small businesses.
Businesses can use micro loans from Finance Wales for a range of purposes, including to buy stock and new equipment, to fit out their existing or new premises, boost cash flow, recruit new staff or to unlock much-needed additional investment. They can also be used to buy a business.
“I was pleased to meet members of Fishguard and Goodwick Chamber of Trade and Tourism recently to explain the funding options open to them from Finance Wales. We also work closely with the Welsh Government’s Business Wales service to sign-post Welsh businesses to the support they need to help them grow.
“We’re backing a wider range of start-ups and small businesses than ever and in the last financial year, businesses in Wales’ retail, wholesale, hospitality and tourism sectors benefitted from over 40% of the micro loans Finance Wales made. We’re keen to talk to more ambitious businesses about how a micro loan from Finance Wales could help them achieve their growth plans,” Nicola explained.
The Chamber’s own project manager, Kate Lindley, reported on the work of Refreshing North Pembrokeshire to date. The project staff have been working with tourism businesses, community groups, festivals and events’ organisers and other local organisations on a variety of projects across north Pembrokeshire to develop and enhance the tourism offer and to extend the tourism season.
Kate reminded the meeting of the aims of the project and how events and businesses are supported. ”As part of the support the RNP will be holding a series of informative networking events across the north of the county in autumn, and I would like to encourage businesses to attend. Further details will be available shortly in local press,” said Kate.
Plans for a campaign on Radio Pembrokeshire to promote Fishguard and Goodwick to Pembrokeshire residents was supported, as there is so much vibrancy and community effort in the twin towns which deserves to be better known. This campaign will start on October 12. Anyone hearing the advertisement slots are asked to tell shopkeepers and others that they have heard about the campaign to attract new “invaders” of our towns.
The Welsh Government has agreed to pay for a coach drop off point in the town, which will enable us to promote the town as a destination to coach operators who have shunned us previously because there is no safe place to deliver their passengers. POINT have agreed to make bunting to decorate the streets next summer; a greening of the towns project is taking shape with the agreement already obtained from the Trunk Road Agency on many locations for planting and additional seats.
News
Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident
Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response
A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to Redberth Croft on Tuesday evening (May 19), prompting a road closure while emergency services made the area safe.
The incident happened just off the A477 at Redberth, where a vehicle caught fire and rolled into a hedge and the new entranceway to Redberth Croft.
Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service attended the scene and successfully extinguished the blaze.

In a statement shared on social media, Redberth Croft thanked firefighters for their rapid response.
The business said: “A huge thank you to the Fire Brigade for their swift response in safely putting out a car fire that rolled into our hedge and new entranceway at Redberth Croft.
“Thankfully nobody was hurt, and we’re incredibly grateful for the professionalism and quick action of the emergency services.”
Photos from the scene show the vehicle completely burnt out, with extensive damage to the engine bay and interior, as firefighters worked nearby.
Motorists were warned to avoid the area while the road remained closed for safety reasons.
Redberth Croft added: “Please be aware that this is just off the A477 next to our new entrance, and the road is currently closed while the area is made safe. Please avoid the area and take care if travelling nearby.”
It is not yet known what caused the fire or whether any other vehicles were involved.

Photo caption:
Burnt out: Fire crews at the scene after a car rolled into the hedge near the entrance to Redberth Croft (Pics: Redberth Croft)
Community
Milford Haven mourns loss of ‘legend’ Muci Power
Tributes pour in for former Lord Kitchener landlord
TRIBUTES have flooded in from across Milford Haven following the death of Alan Edward Thomas “Muci” Power, remembered as a “true legend” and one of the town’s best-known characters.
Mr Power, affectionately known as Muci, passed away suddenly but peacefully at Withybush Hospital on Sunday, May 10, aged 79.
Best known to many as the former landlord of the Lord Kitchener public house in Milford Haven — affectionately known as “The Kitch” — Muci became a familiar and much-loved figure in the town, known for his humour, friendship and larger-than-life personality.
The devoted husband of Meryl, father, grandfather and great-grandfather leaves behind a family at the centre of Milford life, while countless friends have spoken of the memories they shared with him over many years.
The Royal British Legion paid tribute, saying: “Rest in peace, Muci. You will be dearly missed by us all here at the Royal British Legion. Thank you for the memories and your presence in our community. Our thoughts and prayers are with your loved ones during this difficult time.”
Hundreds of tributes have also been posted online, with many describing Muci as a “Milford legend” whose passing marks the end of an era.
Friends remembered good times at The Kitch, where Muci was at the heart of local life for many years.
Ryan Hackett wrote: “Will have a T.A.C. for you mate on Tuesday. Will miss you Matey. Another Milford legend gone.”
Simon Jenkins said: “Muci was one in a million, a true legend. Milford has lost a true gent.”
Many spoke of his warmth and generosity, with Nigel Hackett thanking him for “being there when I needed someone.”
Muci was the devoted husband of Meryl, dearly loved father and father-in-law of Karl and Claire, and Hayley and Roy, proud grandfather of Morgan, Sam, Caitlin and Jay, and adored great-grandfather of Amalie.
His funeral service will take place at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth, on Tuesday, May 26, at 11:30am.
For those wishing to pay their respects, the hearse will leave the Lord Kitchener, Charles Street, Milford Haven, at 10:40am.
Immediate family flowers only.
All enquiries to Tom Newing & Sons Ltd, Funeral Directors, Dartmouth Street, Milford Haven, SA73 2AN. Tel: 01646 693180.
News
Latest HS2 cost rise sparks fresh Welsh funding row
Welsh Government and Liberal Democrats say Wales is being ‘short-changed’ as high-speed rail bill could reach £102.7bn
THE WELSH GOVERNMENT has renewed calls for Wales to receive a fair share of rail funding after the latest figures showed the cost of HS2 could rise to as much as £102.7bn.
Deputy Minister for Transport Mark Hooper said the figures made it “clearer than ever” that Wales was being short-changed by the UK Government’s approach to the high-speed rail project.
HS2 has been classified by the Treasury as an “England and Wales” scheme, despite the line not entering Wales. The classification means Wales does not receive the same Barnett consequential funding that would normally follow spending on a transport project in England.
Mr Hooper said: “The latest figures showing HS2 will cost up to £102.7bn make it clearer than ever Wales is being short-changed by the UK Government’s approach.
“HS2 has been classified as an ‘England and Wales’ project – despite not a single centimetre of track being laid in Wales.
“This is not acceptable. Every pound denied to Wales is a pound that cannot be invested in the integrated, modern transport network that our communities deserve.”
The row over HS2 funding has become one of the longest-running disputes between Cardiff Bay and Westminster over infrastructure spending.
Rail infrastructure is not fully devolved in Wales, and the UK Government has previously argued that HS2 should be treated as a project benefiting both England and Wales. Welsh ministers, however, say that position is unfair because the line is being built entirely in England.
The latest cost estimate comes after UK Transport Secretary Heidi Alexander gave a statement to the House of Commons on the future of HS2, confirming that the project could now cost between £87.7bn and £102.7bn, with services between London and Birmingham not expected to begin until between 2036 and 2039.
The project has already been significantly scaled back, with previous plans for high-speed lines to Manchester and Leeds cancelled.
Welsh Liberal Democrat Westminster Spokesperson David Chadwick MP said HS2 had become “a textbook example of Government mismanagement”.
He said: “After years of delays, spiralling costs and broken promises under the previous Conservative Government, taxpayers across the UK are now being left to pick up the bill.
“At the very least, Wales must now receive the consequential funding it is owed so we can invest in desperately needed transport infrastructure here at home.
“The Labour Government can no longer hide behind accounting tricks to deny Wales funding that Scotland and Northern Ireland rightly receive as a matter of fairness.
“There is simply no justification for Wales continuing to be short-changed.”
Welsh ministers argue that if HS2 had been treated as an England-only project, Wales would have received billions of pounds in additional funding through the Barnett formula.
Mr Hooper said securing Wales’s share would now be a “central priority” in the Welsh Government’s relationship with Westminster.
He added: “We are committed to pressing the UK Government to right this wrong and ensure Wales receives the funding it is owed.”
The issue is likely to remain a major point of tension as the new Welsh Government seeks investment for rail, bus and integrated transport improvements across Wales.
-
News4 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community3 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime6 days agoTeenager banned from roads after being caught six times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime7 days agoMan threatens to torch Silverdale Lodge through ‘demon drink’, court hears
-
Crime6 days agoMan sentenced for stalking women and threatening to torch home
-
Crime6 days agoViolent man jailed after ‘Banksy’ claims and campaign of domestic abuse
-
Crime7 days agoMan denies exposure in Pembrokeshire town
-
Crime6 days agoDrunk motorist arrested at Pembrokeshire petrol station








visualino.net
October 20, 2015 at 3:53 pm
For any illness, however, effective remedy relies on applicable prognosis.