Connect with us


Goodwick clinch West Wales glory



Goodwick United 2

Morriston Olympic 1

BP Celebrations: On the pitch with the trophy (all pics courtesy of AJB Sports Photography)

BP Celebrations: On the pitch with the trophy (Pic courtesy of AJB Sports Photography)

GOODWICK UNITED triumphed in the prestigious west Wales Cup final at the Liberty Stadium in Swansea with a stunning victory over Swansea League Division One side Morriston Olympic thanks to goals from star players Rhys Dalling and Johnny Horgan.

The trophy is the second instalment of what could be an historic treble, as Goodwick chase an unprecedented clean sweep.

They have already bagged the Pembrokeshire Senior Cup, beating Hakin in the final, and it is only the Vikings that stand between Nigel Delaney’s side and the Division One title with just two points currently separating the two sides, who meet at the Obs on Friday (May 13).

Goodwick started the match at a lightening pace and caught their opponents unaware with a number of precise through balls, in particular from midfield maestro Adam Raymond.

It was one of there through balls that released their hotshot winger Johnny Horgan, who took a touch wide before delightfully lifting his precise finish over the top of the advancing Greg Evans to give his side a deserved lead.

The game then settled into a midfield battle as Morriston sought to stem the Goodwick tide, and it certainly worked, as their hard graft started to turn the match in their favour.

From the half hour mark Olympic enjoyed something of a purple patch, and Goodwick were left to thank their keeper James Gwilt and solid backline for keeping them in the game. The first chance at goal for Olympic game when Gwilt fumbled a corner and it fell straight to midfielder Rhys Walker whose first time shot was cleared instinctively by Kieran O’Brien.

Goodwick managed to see their lead out to the half time break, but Morriston came out with the same tempo in the second period, laying siege to the Goodwick goal for long periods.

With Gwilt making a good save from substitute Kristian Lacy who had been sent through on goal by dangerous forward Kieran Hayes.

With twenty second half minutes played, Goodwick took a leaf out of Leicester City’s book and launched a fast flowing counter attack against the run of play to extend their lead.

Horgan raced clear down the left hand side and slipped through a perfectly weighted pass for Rhys Dalling, who evaded the offside trap to race clear and slot under Evans to give his side a two-goal cushion, and spark jubilation amongst the travelling fans.

This jubilation didn’t last for long however, and as the old adage goes, ‘you are most vulnerable after scoring’.

Just three minutes after getting their second, Goodwick allowed Morriston back into it as Gwilt could again only parry Lacy’s shot, with the rebound falling kindly for Rhys Walker, who needed no invitation in slamming the ball home.

This set up a tense last 20 minutes for the Pembrokeshire side, and as the minutes ticked by Nigel Delaney became more animated in the technical area, but he need not have worried as his well-drilled side saw out the danger and joined a small group of Pembrokeshire sides who have lifted the prestigious west Wales Cup trophy.


Goodwick United: James Gwilt, Stefan Hayes, Wayne O’Sullivan (captain), Anthony Couzens, Scott Delaney, Adam Raymond, Chris O’Sullivan, Kieran O’Brien, Rob Morgans, Rhys Dalling, Johnny Horgan.

Subs: Adam Butler, Darren Devonald, Steven Docherty, Josh Wellan, Jordan Griffiths.

Morriston Olympic: Greg Evans, Sam Bevan, Ben Taylor, Adam Mills, Craig Lloyd, Adam Palmer, Kieron Griffiths (captain), Kieran Hayes, Rhys Walker, Jordan Jones, Alex Mckinney.

Subs: Christopher Fisher, Kristian Lacy, Kieran Ashford, Matthew Bennett, Thomas Davies.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Herbrandston Clinch Promotion to Division One



Following a one all draw Tuesday night away to Narberth it confirmed Herbrandston’s promotion to the first division. An amazing achievement for Manger Leigh Galdo and his assistant Timmy Roberts. With a young team and after losing quality players over the summer it’s safe to say promotion wasn’t really ‘on the cards’ for Herbie in August.

On paper nobody would have expected Herbie to challenge at the top of the league. However they started the league as they meant to go on, with an outstanding unbeaten run, which made everyone quickly realise they were not to be underestimated. Galdo has done an excellent job in developing not only a young team, but the players as individuals who’ve matured as the season has developed. While they will enjoy promotion they won’t be relaxing too much as they still hope to lift the second division cup at Bridge Meadow.

Herbie’s boss however found some time in his busy schedule to reflect on promotion and the season to date.

‘Promotion wasn’t really on the radar when we sat down last summer and assessed the situation. With a mass exodus of first team starters, a full rebuild looked on the cards.

However the players we have in this years group are nothing if not resilient. A great start to the campaign meant we had put ourselves in contention early, 13 league games undefeated up to Xmas proved that we had enough to at least contend. There were certainly some tough test in the new year but all of them learning opportunities and a chance for this group of players to grow and mature as a team.

I’m a firm believer that through adversity, that’s where the real development can happen and it certainly seems that way with us at the moment with many of our young players now looking battle tested.

Humbled and armed with those lessons we’re looking now to finish the season strong. Back into the 1st Division has been the club’s ambition now for quite a few years and after finally achieving that after many close seasons in doing so we can turn our focus to trying to add some silverware in the 2nd Division cup.

A very tough task with the quality of teams left in the competition. But a challenge we embrace and look forward too. We’ll stay in the fight to the very end and see what destiny awaits us. ‘Up the Pickles’’

Congratulations to everyone involved in the club on promotion. A club that’s setup off the field and at junior level really deserves division one football. We also wish Herbie the best of luck for the cup too.

Continue Reading


Micky Beckett, Pembrokeshire’s Olympic hopeful, wins big in Palma!



Micky Beckett, the pride of Solva and a stalwart of the British Sailing Team, once again etched his name in the annals of sailing history with a resounding victory at the Princess Sofia Regatta in Palma last week, marking his third consecutive triumph at this illustrious event. The 29-year-old maestro showcased his dominance in the men’s dinghy class amidst stiff competition from a formidable fleet of 193 boats, clinching the title with a day to spare.

His gold-medal feat spearheaded a triumphant campaign for the British contingent, as John Gimson and Anna Burnet secured bronze in the Nacra 17 category, while the rising star Matilda Nicholls clinched her debut senior-level medal, a bronze in the ILCA 6 class.

Entering the pivotal double points medal race, Beckett held an unassailable lead atop the leaderboard, a testament to his unparalleled skill and unwavering determination. Despite the comfort of his position, Beckett refused to relent, clinching a second-place finish in the decisive race and ultimately sealing victory with an imposing 44-point margin.

Reflecting on his remarkable achievement, Beckett humbly acknowledged the significance of his third consecutive triumph, stating, “I’ve been trying all week not to think about the fact that if I won this event it would be three in a row, but now it’s real and it’s pretty cool.” His sentiments echoed a blend of confidence and humility, underscoring the arduous journey that led to his triumph.

With his sights set on the upcoming Paris 2024 Olympics, Beckett exuded a mixture of confidence and determination, aware of the challenges that lie ahead. “All the top guys will be following their own plans to build up to this summer, but I have to say that beating them is a nice confidence boost,” Beckett remarked, encapsulating the competitive spirit that drives him towards excellence.

Despite his past setbacks in Rio 2016 and Tokyo 2020, Beckett remains undaunted, poised to make his mark on the global stage in Marseille, where he aims to transcend mere participation and carve his legacy amongst the world’s elite ILCA 7 sailors. With a European title in 2021 and a world silver in 2023 adorning his resume, Beckett’s journey is a testament to perseverance and unwavering dedication to his craft.

Continue Reading


Match Report – Milford Athletic vs Carew III’s.



On a lovely evening down Pill division 4 strugglers Milford Athletic hosted fellow strugglers Carew III’s and as both teams have previously played out close, exciting encounters, this was expected to be another great game!

With a good home crowd, Carew won the toss and decided to play downhill in the first half, and it was a decision that initially looked like it may backfire, as the attacking Carew team met staunch resistance from the Athletic defence. Club stalwart Sam Daine’s was having a great game winning everything aerially and mopping up loose balls superbly, whilst Ashley Busby in goal was like a reincarnated Gordan Banks between the sticks!!

Ultimately, the slope, the windy conditions and superb attacking play from Tyler Worral saw the Athletic defence finally undone at the half hour mark, and then Carew continued their dominance with another two quick fire goals, courtesy of Harvey Drummond & Tom Woodford. 3-0 at half time and a slightly flattering scoreline for Carew.

The second half saw Athletic start brightly with the defence remaining resolute and Macaulay Chapman starting to dominate midfield, creating chance after chance.

In the space of 11 seconds half minutes, Athletic found themselves back on level terms, with Ciaran Lewis scoring twice, and a stonewall penalty being despatched by Pete Tunstall. What a turnaround!!

When everyone thought Carew may fold under pressure, up they stepped and re-took the lead with Harvey Drummond completing his well taken hat trick, and Carew found themselves back in the lead! What a game this was turning into!

It took all of 2 minutes for Ciaran Lewis to equalise, and complete his hat trick and for the remaining 20 minutes the game was end to end, with outstanding chances, last ditch tackles and great saves all over the place!! Final score Milford Athletic 4-4 Carew III’s in what could well be a game of the seaon contender.

As well as the football being superbly entertaining, no yellow cards were necessary and referee Marty Jones had complete control of the game despite the world’s worst offside decision where he agreed he had totally missed the Athletic fullback out wide! In his defence it was sunny.

A great game and a credit to both teams.

Continue Reading

Entertainment16 hours ago

NoFit State Circus set to thrill Pembrokeshire this summer

NoFit State Circus is set to captivate Pembrokeshire once again this summer, as they bring back their thrilling big top...

News1 day ago

Search for missing teenager Luke continues at Pembroke Dock

THE SEARCH for the missing 19-year-old, Luke, continues unabated into its fourth day, with efforts increasingly centred around the waterways...

Crime3 days ago

Estate agents admit health and safety failings following fatal market incident

WEST WALES estate agents J J Morris have appeared before Pembrokeshire law courts charged with failing to discharge general health,...

Crime3 days ago

Pembroke man sent ‘grossly offensive and disgusting’ message to sister

A DISTRICT Judge has described how a Pembroke man sent a ‘disgusting, appalling and grossly offensive’ message to his sister...

News4 days ago

Dragon LNG ‘monitoring’ scrap car blaze in Waterston

A BLAZE has broken out at the Waterston Car Dismantler’s business in Waterston, Milford Haven. Dragon LNG which is situated...

News6 days ago

Major search in the area of The Cleddau Bridge and Hobbs Point

A MULTI-AGENCY rescue response was initiated first thing on Saturday following reports of a person in difficulty in the area...

News1 week ago

Newgale pub fire: Cause undetermined, but ruled accidental

THE MID and West Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) has recently concluded its investigation into the fire that devastated the...

Sport1 week ago

Jasmine, Lleucu, Carys & Courtney: The Pride of Pembrokeshire

Four rugby players from Pembrokeshire are gearing up to take on Ireland in the Women’s Six Nations this weekend. Jasmine...

Crime1 week ago

Independent inquiry into child sex abuse commissioned by Caldey

WE have reported on this story for years, but in a very significant development this week, Caldey Island Abbey has...

Crime1 week ago

Mechanic lands four-figure fine after head-butting officer in Quins

A COURT has heard how a police officer was head-butted outside the Quins Rugby Club in Pembroke Dock by a man described...

Popular This Week