Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Folly Farm holiday village approved

Published

on

folly-farmFOLLY FARM will soon provide holiday accommodation after plans were approved to put over 100 touring caravans, yurts, and tents next to the current site.

The Planning and Rights of Way Committee met on Tuesday (Dec 13) to discuss the plans.

There will be three themed areas to the accommodation, all relating to what can be found at Folly Farm, including a safari zone which will be adjacent to the safari enclosure with a number of safari style ridge tents.

There will also be a fairground zone which will house static caravans and be designed to look like historic wagons.

The final zone will be a farm zone featuring a mixture of bell tents, teepees and yurts.

Local member Cllr David Pugh said he was very pleased to support the plans for Folly Farm which has become one of Wales’ premier tourist attractions.

He went on to say: “It has won numerous awards for the quality of its tourism provision including best day out in Wales award. Folly Farm has a proven track record of continuing investment, and more importantly, delivering a quality product. The attraction now opens throughout the year and employs 60 full time staff and 140 part time seasonal staff. It is truly a local success story.

“The application was widely discussed at the Begelly and Kilgetty Community Council council meeting and they gave a unanimous approval to the plans.

“The planning conditions address all the concerns that have been raised to myself. I have no hesitation in supporting this application which will enhance the tourism offer at Folly Farm and benefit the local community and the wider Pembrokeshire tourism and economy.”

The developers will also provide £35,000 as part of a section 106 agreement, which will go to providing a footpath to the town of Kilgetty which Cllr Pugh described as a ‘much needed improvement’.

The agent for the application added that Folly Farm is looking to bring forward a high quality development that is not on offer anywhere else in the UK.

He also added that the applicant had been hoping to put up to 200 camping units on the site but that this had been brought down on discussions with officers.

Cllr Brian Hall said: “Every year there is a new proposal to add to the benefit of Folly Farm. This is a massive investment that will benefit the people of Pembrokeshire. I have no qualms whatsoever in supporting the application and I’m absolutely delighted this is coming to Pembrokeshire.”

Cllr David Bryan said Pembrokeshire residents should be very proud of having Folly Farm on their doorstep.

Cllr Jacob Williams also described it as a ‘real success story’ but added that it could have an impact on other tourist related businesses in the area.

Cllr Peter Stock added: “The advantages are very clear, Pembrokeshire is a very important tourist destination and I would like to think this will attract new customers.”

Because the plans are advertised as a departure from policy, they must now gain approval at the next meeting of Full Council in January.

Chris Ebsworth, director of Folly Farm said: “We’re really pleased hear the planning for Folly Holiday Village has been unanimously approved and we very much welcome the decision of full council early next year.

“It’s an exciting time for Folly Farm following a period of rapid growth with new enclosures and redevelopment of current infrastructure. The Holiday Village would be an important future step in our development, safeguarding jobs and bringing a unique product to Pembrokeshire’s fantastic tourism offering.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

News

Multi-agency response to house fire in Siskin Close, Haverfordwest

Published

on

FIRE crews are attending a domestic fire in a property on Siskin Close, Haverfordwest.

As of 11.45pm on Monday evening crews were still dampening down a fire which enfulfed two floors of a domestic property.

It is understood the alarm was raised after 10pm.

Our reporter on the scene said that there were four fire crews in attendance as well as three ambulances as well as police, who had set up a perimeter, controlling access to the scene.

A large number of local residents were watching on from a safe distance as the incident was being dealt with.

At the time of writing the street was blocked off to traffic with a large number of emergency vehicles parked up, all the way around the corner to the top of Harrier Road.

All of the emergency services have been contacted for a comment.

THIS STORY IS UPDATING

MORE TO FOLLOW

Continue Reading

News

Outdoor hospitality given go-ahead and rules on mixing outdoors relaxed in Wales

Published

on

SIX people will be able to meet outdoors in Wales from Saturday 24 April while outdoor hospitality will be allowed to reopen from Monday 26 April as cases of new COVID-19 infections continue to fall, First Minister Mark Drakeford has confirmed today.

The current rule provides for up to six people (not including children under 11 years of age or carers) from a maximum of two households to meet outdoors.

The new rules from Saturday will allow six people (not including children under 11 years of age or carers) to meet outdoors.

People should observe social distancing from people from outside their household or support bubble when meeting others outside.

The rules for meeting indoors remain unchanged.

The First Minister has also confirmed outdoor hospitality will be allowed to reopen from Monday 26th April 2021.

First Minister, Mark Drakeford said: “The public health context in Wales remains favourable, with cases falling and our vaccination programme continues to go from strength to strength. Because meeting outdoors continues to be lower risk than meeting indoors, we are able to bring forward changes to allow any six people to meet outdoors.

“This will provide more opportunities for people, especially young people, to meet outdoors with their friends. This will undoubtedly have a significant positive impact on people’s wellbeing.

“I’m also pleased to confirm outdoor hospitality will be allowed to reopen from Monday 26th April.

“These changes will help the hospitality sector recover after a difficult twelve months.

“It is thanks to the continuing efforts of people across Wales we are able to introduce this change. Together, we will continue to keep Wales safe.”

On Friday (23rd April 2021), the First Minister will confirm further relaxations to the covid rules that will come into force on Monday 26 April 2021.

Continue Reading

News

Police ‘enforcement and engagement’ to curb anti-social behaviour in Tenby

Published

on

POLICE in Tenby will be using enforcement and engagement in a bid to curb future incidents of anti-social behaviour, they said on Monday (Apr 17)

The announcement comes after Tenby was left with empty cans, broken bottles and fast food wrappers strewn everywhere, after over two hundred young people gathered to enjoy the weekend – perhaps expected whilst pubs remained closed.

Licensed establishment have not yet been able to open in Wales, but they are open in England for outdoor refreshments. They are opening on Monday.

There were reports of young people walking through the town with boxes full of alcohol, with other people buying takeaway drinks from licensed premises before making their way to the harbour.

The sheer number of people meant people were urinating in the streets, some residents told The Pembrokeshire Herald.

A Dyfed-Powys police spokesperson said: “With the continued easing of the regulations designed to keep us safe and the weather getting warmer we have seen an increase of people visiting and out and about in the Pembrokeshire area.
“While it’s great that people are now able to visit Pembrokeshire again, the behaviour of some placed additional pressure not only on the police but on the local authority as well.
“Tenby in particular attracted a large crowd on Saturday evening, April 18, resulting in anti-social behaviour, especially in the harbour area.

Chief Inspector Louise Harries said: “We recognise the concerns of residents and businesses after the anti-social behaviour seen in Tenby on Saturday evening. We are working with partners to avoid these issues re-occurring in the future.
“Police officers will be patrolling the area over the coming weeks and while the priority will be to engage with the public, enforcement action will be taken where necessary”
“We want to see people enjoying and the majority of people are doing so in accordance with the regulations, however the minority who don’t are spoiling it for others.
“We will continue to engage with our communities and visitors to the area to ensure that everyone enjoys in a safe manner.”

(Cover photo courtesy Pure West Radio)

Continue Reading
News1 hour ago

Multi-agency response to house fire in Siskin Close, Haverfordwest

FIRE crews are attending a domestic fire in a property on Siskin Close, Haverfordwest. As of 11.45pm on Monday evening...

News5 hours ago

Outdoor hospitality given go-ahead and rules on mixing outdoors relaxed in Wales

SIX people will be able to meet outdoors in Wales from Saturday 24 April while outdoor hospitality will be allowed...

News8 hours ago

Police ‘enforcement and engagement’ to curb anti-social behaviour in Tenby

POLICE in Tenby will be using enforcement and engagement in a bid to curb future incidents of anti-social behaviour, they...

News11 hours ago

Press gagging order granted in James Oulton case by Crown Court judge

THE CROWN COURT judge presiding over the James Oulton trial has issued a reporting restriction to the press, which local...

News16 hours ago

Six-year-old girl raises the alarm to a property fire

MID AND WEST WALES FIRE AND RESCUE SERVICE wish to thank six-year-old Mia, of Milford Haven, for her calm and...

News1 day ago

Tenby left ‘strewn with rubbish and smelling of urine’ after hundreds party

TENBY was left with empty cans, broken bottles and fast food wrappers strewn everywhere, after over two hundred young people...

News2 days ago

Protest against ‘draconian’ Police and Crime Bill takes place in Haverfordwest

A SECOND Kill the Bill protest took place in Haverfordwest on Saturday (Apr 17). One of the organisers told  The...

News4 days ago

Approval recommended for dockyard plans

A CONTROVERSIAL plan to develop part of Pembroke Dock’s Royal Dockyard comes before the County Council’s Planning Committee next week. Despite many...

News4 days ago

Primary school teacher would ‘moan’ as he touched female pupils, court hears

A HAVERFORDWEST primary school teacher would “moan” while he touched his female pupils in a sexual way, a witness said...

News5 days ago

Golden goodbye report likely to be critical

A REPORT by Audit Wales into the departure of former CEO Ian Westley is very likely to contain criticism of...

Popular This Week