Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

Experience counts for charity

Published

on

experience countsA GROUP of mature Pembrokeshire trainees are helping support a local charity.

Members of Experience Counts are raising money for PATCH (Pembrokeshire Action to Combat Hardship) by hosting a regular market stall in Pembroke Dock.

The group made its first donation of £105 in December and also supported the charity in its annual Toy Appeal. Funded by Big Lottery and run by Futureworks – Pembrokeshire County Council’s Regeneration service – Experience Counts aims to help people over 50 back into work by developing their skills and confidence.

“Finding a job can be difficult at the best of times and it is often even harder for those aged 50 and above,” said Councillor David Pugh, Cabinet Member for the Economy.

“The Experience Counts project helps people by giving them confidence in the skills and experience they already have and also by introducing them to the new skills they might need in the modern world of work.

“I’m delighted to see that they are also using some of their skills and talents by helping some of our County’s less fortunate families.”

The Experience Count stall is held on Friday mornings at the Market Hall in Pembroke Dock. Prior to supporting PATCH, the group also raised over £350 for the children’s cancer charity LATCH.

Donations of clothes, toys and household items will be gratefully received.

Anyone wanting to know more about the Experience Counts project can contact Futureworks on 01437 776437.

 

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. private jet florida

    December 26, 2025 at 9:01 pm

    Well done! This article provides a lot of value.

  2. Lamborghini Aventador S

    December 30, 2025 at 10:27 pm

    I learned a lot from this article. Keep up the great work!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Health chiefs to be questioned over Withybush hospital service changes

Published

on

HEALTH BOARD members are to be quizzed by Pembrokeshire councillors next month over changes to services at Withybush Hospital.

At the March meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council, an emergency notice of motion by the council’s 11-strong Conservative Party group demanded that the Welsh Government immediately reverses the decision to cease emergency general surgery at Withybush Hospital.

Last year, Hywel Dda University Health Board consulted with its communities on options for change in critical care, dermatology, emergency general surgery, endoscopy, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, stroke, radiology and urology.

At a two-day meeting earlier this year, the board, amongst its many other decisions, backed changes into emergency general surgery which will see no emergency general surgery operations taking place at Withybush, but a strengthening of the same-day emergency care (SDEC).

At the March council meeting, the Conservative council group, led by Cllr Di Clements, proposed a motion which read: “This council requests that the Labour Welsh Government intervenes in Hywel Dda University Health Board’s recent decision to cease emergency general surgery at Withybush hospital and immediately reverses their decision.

“We believe removing this service critically undermines the sustainability of Withybush hospital’s A&E department.

“Also, the decision by the Health Board does not take into account the impact and potential serious risks it will have on Pembrokeshire residents.”

Cllr Clements’ supporting statement, which included a call for the-then Leader Cllr Jon Harvery to write to the First Minister and Welsh Government, said Pembrokeshire residents “have seen continual downgrading of services over the years, and this has been detrimental to all residents,” adding: “We believe this recent decision is life threatening to those who need emergency surgery and a matter of resident’s safety.”

At the meeting, Cllr Michael John said “there had been an erosion of services for many years,” supporting Cllr Clements’ call, but proposing the addition of calling on the health board to meet with councillors.

Following the request by Cllr Clements, Leader Cllr Jon Harvey agreed to any letter writing, saying he had “fought long and hard to return services to Withybush”.

Members backed Cllr Clements’ call, with Cllr John’s amendment added.

Since then an update was received at the May 14 meeting of Pembrokeshire County Council.

A report for members said, following the March meeting, Cllr Harvey, wrote to the-then First Minister Eluned Morgan on March 10, with Chief Executive Will Bramble also writing to the chief executive of  Hywel Dda University Health Board advising him of council’s decision on the same date, requesting his and the Board chair’s attendance at the May council meeting.

It said, since then, Health Board Chair Dr Neil Wooding and Chief Executive Professor Phil Kloer have agreed to attend an Extraordinary Meeting of the council on June 15 to brief the council on service changes and specifically the issue of emergency general surgery, with members having the opportunity to ask questions on the presentation.

Members agreed to note the report ahead of the special June meeting.

 

Continue Reading

Community

HaverHub secures place on Cwmpas growth programme

Published

on

HAVERHUB has been accepted onto a one-year Cwmpas Growth Programme as it looks to strengthen its long-term future.

The community venue, based at the former Post Office site in Haverfordwest, said it will receive specialist support from Huw and Cathy at Cwmpas, an organisation which works with social enterprises and community groups across Wales.

The announcement comes after a difficult period for many community venues, with rising costs, financial pressures and the challenge of keeping spaces open, affordable and accessible.

HaverHub said the programme would help it build stability, support its team and volunteers, strengthen the business side of the organisation and protect what the community has already created.

A spokesperson said: “From a derelict old Post Office site to a busy and much-loved community hub, HaverHub has been built through volunteer effort, local talent, creativity and community belief.

“It truly belongs to the community that made it happen.”

The venue has hosted local groups, businesses, performers and events over the years, becoming a place where people can meet, celebrate and connect.

HaverHub said public consultation carried out two years ago had helped secure planning consent for the next stages of development.

The team also said it was looking forward to welcoming new members this year, alongside the return of some familiar faces.

The spokesperson added: “Thank you to everyone who has contributed ideas, skills, encouragement or simply used the space over the years. HaverHub would not exist without you.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Wales & West Utilities donates £1,000 to support Narberth community pool

Published

on

Donation will help charity fund energy-saving improvements and secure pool’s future

A COMMUNITY-RUN swimming pool in Pembrokeshire has received a £1,000 donation to support major sustainability improvements.

Swim Narberth, the charity which runs Narberth Swimming Pool, has been given the funding by Wales & West Utilities, the gas emergency and pipeline service.

The money will go towards the charity’s energy-efficiency project, which aims to cut energy use, reduce carbon emissions and make the facility more resilient for the future.

The pool was saved from permanent closure in 2014 following a community campaign. It is now used by more than 500 children and 1,000 adults every week.

Planned improvements include replacing the ageing roof, installing a modern high-efficiency air-handling system and upgrading the pool’s existing solar panels. The upgrades are expected to reduce energy use by more than 30 per cent.

Chris Walters, chairman of Swim Narberth, said: “As a small rural charity, support like this plays a vital role in helping us reach our £40,000 community match-funding target, which will unlock significant investment from the Welsh Government’s Community Facilities Programme.

“We are so grateful for Wales & West Utilities’ support and the funding will go towards our extensive improvements at the pool, including roof replacement works and major plant efficiency upgrades to help secure the pool’s long-term future.”

Narberth Swimming Pool provides learn-to-swim programmes, water safety education, inclusive and disability-friendly sessions, and health and wellbeing activities for people of all ages.

It is also the only accessible swimming facility within a 10-mile radius, serving families, schools and community groups across the surrounding rural area.

Sophie Shorney, engagement and social impact manager at Wales & West Utilities, said: “We are proud to support the communities in which we work and are pleased to lend a helping hand to an organisation that provides such an important service for the local community.

“We are pleased that this money will be put to good use and drive improvements that will help safeguard the future of the pool, while reducing running costs and environmental impact.”

Wales & West Utilities delivers energy to more than 7.5 million people across Wales and the south west of England through a network of more than 35,000 kilometres of underground pipes.

 

Continue Reading

Health18 hours ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community1 day ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News6 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News6 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

Popular This Week