Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Community

First World War hero ‘remembered’

Published

on

hero rememberedAFTER an 18-month long campaign researchers working on the West Wales War Memorial Project (WWWMP) have at last succeeded in securing formal recognition for the death of a First World War soldier from West Wales.

Gunner Robert Corfield died on a training exercise while serving with the Royal Field Artillery in 1915, but he has only now been accepted as a First World War casualty. His name will now be entered in the United Kingdom Book of Remembrance. Robert’s death has also, this month, been recorded in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) data based.

Laugharne-born military historian and Project leader, Steve John, said: “Robert’s death certificate, inquest and service papers all show beyond doubt that he was crushed after falling from a gun carriage during a training exercise. Without the benefit of the computerised records we have these days, I can appreciate how some casualties from the First World War were omitted from official records compiled after the Armistice.”

“In the summer of 2012 we drew attention to the oversight and provided the Army with all the necessary evidence to demonstrate that Robert Corfield was entitled to be commemorated. However, along with several hundred other cases, the Army allowed Robert’s case to remain unprocessed, gathering dust, until we started to mount a campaign in the local press and on BBC Radio.”

“In August last year Lord Astor of Hever DL, Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence, announced that the National Army Museum would take over responsibility, with immediate effect, for the investigation and verification of cases. He thanked one of our researchers at the WWWMP for bringing his attention to the backlog of cases that had been allowed to build up and gave his assurance that the Ministry of Defence was firmly committed to ensuring that those who have died as a result of their service in World War One received due recognition for their sacrifice and bravery.”

“However, despite that assurance it was only this month that the CWGC was able to announce that Robert Corfield was the first casualty in the backlog of cases to be accepted for commemoration.”

Steve said: “I sincerely hope that in this year, the Centenary of the First World War, the other West Wales cases we have submitted are processed by the National Army Museum quickly.”

Robert Corfield, a self-employed hairdresser from Aberystwyth, had joined that Cardiganshire Battery, Royal Field Artillery, within a week of the start of the war in August 1914 and had subsequently volunteered for service overseas a month later.

Robert’s battery, as part of the 1/2nd Welsh Brigade, was posted to Bedford to undergo training before deployment to the Western Front. It was while rehearsing artillery drills in a field off Ampthill Road, Bedford on August 26, 1915, that Robert fell from the firing battery wagon on which he was riding. As he fell from the wagon the wheel of the horse drawn gun carriage ran over his head.

Robert lay unconscious as Captain John Cook, Royal Army Medical Corps, tried in vain to save his life, but his skull had been crushed and he died shortly afterwards.

Steve says: “The memory of Robert Corfield deserved to be commemorated on the Nation’s official Debt of Honour. The Coroner at the Inquest into his death made clear that he was prepared to fight for his country and had died as nobly as if he had been fighting. It shouldn’t have taken so long for the country to recognise his sacrifice. His case could not have been clearer cut.”

 

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. jet charter boca

    December 26, 2025 at 9:21 pm

    This is a topic I’ve been curious about. Thanks for the detailed information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Community

Stix Noodle Bar in Haverfordwest rewards visitors who park and shop local

Published

on

A POPULAR restaurant is taking on one of the town centre’s biggest frustrations with a new initiative designed to ease parking stress and encourage more visitors into the heart of the community.

Stix Noodle Bar has announced a new scheme offering customers money off their bill when they show proof of paid parking in the town.

Under the initiative, diners who present an active parking ticket or parking app booking will receive the equivalent cost of one hour’s parking deducted from their meal bill.

The business says the idea was created in response to ongoing concerns about local parking pressures, while also supporting neighbouring independent traders and encouraging more people to spend time in the town centre.

In a statement released alongside the launch, the restaurant said: “Tired of Haverfordwest’s parking stress? So are we. That’s why we’re doing something about it.”

The team behind the noodle bar is encouraging visitors to “park up, come in, eat well, then go explore some of the brilliant businesses right on our doorstep,” adding that “Haverfordwest is worth stopping for.”

The scheme has already received support from local representatives, including Reform Councillor, Scott Thorley, who praised the move as a practical way to support the town centre economy.

“This is an excellent idea,” he said. “Tackling parking stress while boosting local businesses and footfall in Haverfordwest — this is exactly the practical support our town centre needs.”

 

Continue Reading

Community

Young people across West Wales offered support into green careers

Published

on

YOUNG people across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and Powys are being encouraged to take their next step into training, volunteering and paid work opportunities through Porth Gwyrdd.

Whether you are unsure about your future, struggling to find opportunities, looking to build confidence, or simply wanting to try something new, Porth Gwyrdd offers free, personalised support to help young people aged 16-30 move towards employment and new experiences.

The project supports young people from ethnic minority communities and those with disabilities to access opportunities within growing green sectors, while helping them develop valuable skills, confidence, and experience along the way.

Delivered through a partnership between Antur Cymru, Foothold Cymru, PLANED and Menter Gorllewin Sir Gâr, the project provides one-to-one support tailored to each young person’s interests, strengths and goals.

Young people taking part can access environmental training, volunteering experiences and paid work placements, while receiving guidance from a dedicated job coach. Opportunities range from hospitality and retail to conservation, farming, and heritage roles.

Jon Morgan, Porth Gwyrdd Project Manager, said: “There are countless young people who face additional barriers when trying to access employment and opportunities. Some of these barriers are visible, while others – such as dyslexia, neurodivergence, or the challenges faced by young people from ethnic minority communities – can often go unseen.

“At Porth Gwyrdd, we work alongside young people to help them recognise their strengths, build confidence, and realise their potential in ways that are accessible, supportive, and meaningful to them.”

The project also works closely with employers to create inclusive opportunities, while helping organisations develop a more sustainable and diverse future workforce. Porth Gwyrdd is funded through the Dormant Assets Scheme and distributed by The National Lottery Community Fund.

Young people and employers interested in finding out more, accessing support, or getting involved can visit: www.porthgwyrdd.org.uk

 

Continue Reading

Community

Pembrokeshire named UK’s most photographed coastal national park

Published

on

County’s coastline places sixth in UK-wide photo study

PEMBROKESHIRE has been named the most photographed coastal national park in the UK, according to new data from photo curation app Popsa.

The study, which analysed metadata from millions of customer photos uploaded in 2025, ranked Pembrokeshire Coast National Park sixth overall out of the UK’s 15 national parks.

It was the highest-ranked coastal park in the list, ahead of destinations including the Cairngorms, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, the Yorkshire Dales and Dartmoor.

Popsa gave Pembrokeshire a Photo Index Score of 28, representing 5.76% of all UK national park photography included in the study.

The company said the county’s 186-mile coastline, with its limestone arches, sea stacks, beaches and hidden coves, offered “photographic variety that few parks can match”.

Barafundle Bay was highlighted as one of the most photographed locations, particularly at low tide, while Skomer Island was noted for its puffin colonies, which attract photographers between April and July.

Wales performed strongly overall, with all three national parks appearing in the UK top ten. Eryri, formerly Snowdonia, ranked fifth, Pembrokeshire sixth, and Bannau Brycheiniog, formerly the Brecon Beacons, tenth.

Together, the three Welsh parks accounted for 16.46% of all UK national park photography in the study.

The Lake District topped the list, followed by the South Downs, the Peak District and the New Forest.

Popsa CEO Liam Houghton said: “Wales has three genuinely world-class national parks and this data shows they are clearly on photographers’ radar.

“But there’s a real gap between the quality of the landscapes and the volume of photos being taken there compared to the English parks.”

The findings suggest Pembrokeshire remains one of the UK’s standout destinations for landscape, wildlife and coastal photography, while also underlining the continued importance of the national park to the county’s tourism economy.

 

Continue Reading

Community4 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime5 hours ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health1 day ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

Popular This Week