Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Red line on hospital safety crossed

Published

on

red linePLAID CYMRU Preseli candidate John Osmond has called on Joyce Watson, Labour AM for Mid and West Wales, to use her vote in the National Assembly to halt the downgrading of Withybush Hospital.

“The Labour government in Cardiff has no majority for moving consultant-led maternity services from Withybush to Glangwili in Carmarthen, as announced by Health Minister Mark Drakeford last week,” John Osmond said.

“In a vote on the issue before Christmas the Assembly divided 28 to 28 – with all the Opposition parties voting against. However, the motion fell on the casting vote of the Presiding Officer who is obliged to support the status quo in a tied vote.

“On that occasion Joyce Watson sided with her Labour colleagues. But that was before the announcement was made. Now she should put her loyalty to the people of Pembrokeshire before that to her party whip.

“Joyce Watson, who lives in Haverfordwest, must know of the dismay and anger of people in the county at this decision which, if it goes ahead, will inevitably mean that sooner or later pregnant women and/or their babies will die inside ambulances on their way from Pembrokeshire to Carmarthen.

“In the debate on Withybush in the Senedd on November 27, Joyce Watson said: “What is clear to me is that Withybush must retain a service that can stabilise mother and baby when complications occur. That is a red line and a promise that has been given in the Chamber.”

“Well, that red line has now been crossed,” John Osmond continued. “It is clear that the intention is, when complications occur, for mothers and their babies to be taken by ambulance to Carmarthen.

“In the debate in the Senedd that followed the Minister’s announcement on Withybush on January 21, Joyce said: ‘Even with all the very best planning in the world, you can never anticipate the emergency that happens. That was the situation that I found myself in when I was having my son. Within 15 minutes, he was born. Had he not been born, I doubt very much that he would be here now for me to tell you that story. I also doubt very much that I would have been here looking as healthy as I do.’

John Osmond added: “Consultants at Withybush tell me that the maximum safe transfer time for a pregnant woman who experiences complications in childbirth is 20 minutes.

“When he made his announcement the Health Minister tried to address our concerns about the problems of distance and travelling times in Pembrokeshire. He said he wanted to see a ‘robust’ emergency transport service put in place before consultant-led emergency provision was removed from Withybush.

“All these issues have been placed in stark focus by the case of Mrs Kate Sutton, of Johnston, whose life was saved at Withybush hospital in the middle of the night a few weeks ago.

“I can tell the Chamber that detailed work will now go on, involving my officials and local health boards, to accelerate the introduction of a new round-the-clock emergency retrieval service for Wales, deploying specialised medical staff. The planning for that service will include the capacity to transfer sick babies and mothers in labour.”

Joyce’s reply

Asked for her response to this story, Joyce Watson said: “The health minister has confirmed that, while the midwife-led unit is being set up at Withybush, there will be consultant obstetric cover to support midwives. So, should they come across cases that they do not have the confidence or experience to deal with, there will be a consultant available to them. It is critical that all services in place after this initial establishing phase are built around the safety of mothers and babies.

“Hywel Dda has established an over-arching Programme Board to take forward the neonatal, obstetrics and gynaecology model, including ‘safety net’ requirements. I will continue to scrutinise the implementation of these services – including hospital transport – to ensure that the changes are in the best interests of patients in Pembrokeshire and throughout the Hywel Dda area. To that end, I was pleased that the First Minister confirmed once again last week that the future of Withybush hospital as a district general hospital is not under any threat whatsoever.”

 

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. jovan zuniga

    October 8, 2025 at 10:21 am

    This article is a gem. Watch ptv sport live online streaming — schedules and replays. fast, reliable HD streaming. program guide, clips, key moments. quick start and smooth playback.

  2. private jet medical evacuation

    April 10, 2026 at 10:23 pm

    I appreciate the balanced perspective you provided here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Cadw invites families to step into West Wales history this half-term

Published

on

STRATA Florida Abbey and Laugharne Castle will host family events as part of Cadw’s May half-term programme.

FAMILIES in West Wales are being encouraged to explore historic sites on their doorstep this May half-term, with events planned at Strata Florida Abbey and Laugharne Castle.

Cadw’s programme runs from Saturday, May 23 to Sunday, May 31, with activities across Wales aimed at bringing history to life for children and families.

At Strata Florida Abbey, near Pontrhydfendigaid, a craft fayre will take place on Sunday, May 24, from 11:00am to 3:00pm, featuring local arts, crafts and produce, alongside family-friendly activities and guided tours.

Laugharne Castle will host Rainbow Gecko Bubbleman on Saturday, May 30 and Sunday, May 31, from 11:00am to 4:00pm. Bubbleman and the Bubble Faerie will perform giant bubble displays, bubble animals and frozen creations, with visitors able to join in and learn tricks.

Other West Wales events include a Children’s Activity Day at Strata Florida Abbey and HMS Wales Naval Living History at Laugharne Castle.

Kate Roberts, Chief Executive of Cadw said: “May half term is the perfect chance for families to get out and explore the incredible history on their doorstep in Wales.

“This year’s programme has been designed to be hands-on, engaging and genuinely fun, giving visitors of all ages the chance to connect our nation’s past and spend quality time together outdoors.”

Cadw said membership includes free event entry and unlimited access to more than 130 historic places across Wales, with children going free with any adult membership.

 

Continue Reading

Business

Mayor opens new Sapphire showroom in Milford Haven

Published

on

New Charles Street base brings windows and doors firm closer to Pembrokeshire customers

THE MAYOR OF MILFORD HAVEN has officially opened a new showroom for Sapphire Windows & Doors in the town centre.

The company welcomed visitors to its new base at 61 Charles Street on Monday (May 18), with Mayor Mark Woodward attending the opening.

Sapphire Windows & Doors, established in 1989, supplies and installs windows, doors and glazing products across South and West Wales.

The new Milford Haven showroom has been opened following growing demand from customers in Pembrokeshire, many of whom had previously travelled to the company’s Ammanford showroom.

The Charles Street premises will allow customers to view products in person, compare colours and finishes, try different styles, and speak directly with the Sapphire team.

Products on display include uPVC windows, composite and aluminium entrance doors, aluminium sliding and bifold systems, and internal and external Crittall-style aluminium and steel doors.

Shaun Matthews, Director of Sapphire Windows & Doors said: “We are incredibly excited to open our new Milford Haven showroom and welcome both returning and new customers through the doors.

“We have already received such a lovely welcome on Charles Street, and we are looking forward to becoming part of the local community.

“When people are investing in new windows and doors, it is important they feel confident in what they are choosing. The showroom gives customers the opportunity to properly see the products, explore the options available, try them for themselves and receive clear, honest advice from our team.”

The company manufactures its own uPVC products in-house at its factory in Ammanford, while installations are carried out by directly employed fitting teams.

Sapphire says it offers free, no-obligation quotes and takes a no-pressure approach to sales.

Every installation is backed by a ten-year guarantee and a FENSA insurance-backed warranty.

The new showroom is now open at 61 Charles Street, Milford Haven, SA73 1SA.

For more information visit sapphirewindows.info.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Cardigan family’s urgent appeal after father suffers devastating stroke

Published

on

Former pilot left unable to speak or swallow after collapsing while mowing lawn

A CARDIGAN family has launched an urgent appeal for help after a 72-year-old father suffered a massive stroke while mowing his garden, leaving him unable to speak, swallow or move the right side of his body.

Les Bell collapsed on Monday, May 11, after suffering what doctors described as an intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) – a serious form of haemorrhagic stroke caused by bleeding in the brain.

His daughter, Jessica Grieve, said the bleed was extensive and that her father remains in a critical condition on an acute stroke ward.

The former pilot, who now works as a flight training consultant at Gatwick Airport, is currently being fed through a tube and can only communicate through eye contact, small nods and grunts.

Jessica said: “Dad has lost the right-hand side of his body, has to be tube fed as he’s not conscious enough to perform a swallow test, although it would seem the muscles on the right side of his throat aren’t working.

“He can’t talk. He can only communicate with brief eye contact, small nods and grunts.”

She added that doctors are still unable to predict her father’s long-term prognosis.

“We don’t know the prognosis, only time will tell, but he is in a critical condition and it’s likely to remain that way for some months,” she said.

The family is now facing a financial crisis after Les, who was the main income earner, became suddenly incapacitated.

Jessica said her father managed all household finances, while her mother is unable to work due to disabilities and her brother, Jake, is still suffering the effects of cancer treatment and cannot work full-time.

She is now applying for lasting power of attorney in order to access her father’s bank accounts, but said the process could take up to ten weeks.

In the meantime, the family say they are struggling to pay rent, bills and other essential costs.

Jessica has launched a GoFundMe appeal to support the family during the coming months.

She said: “I’m asking for donations of any kind to help them pay for the urgent bills while we’re waiting for other benefits and LPA to begin.

“If we can get them through the next couple of months we’d be so, so grateful.”

Anyone wishing can visit the GoFundMe page here: Help for the Family of Les Bell.

Photo caption:

Family by his side: Les Bell in hospital after suffering a devastating stroke while mowing the garden (Pic: GoFundMe).

 

Continue Reading

Cymraeg2 hours ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime17 hours ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community24 hours ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Crime1 day ago

Former Lostprophets singer’s killing ‘not justified’, jury told

JURORS in the trial of two prisoners accused of murdering former Lostprophets singer Ian Watkins have been told that his...

Health2 days ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community3 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health3 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government4 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News4 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business4 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Popular This Week