Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Young jockey joins Henderson’s yard

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE jockey James Bowen will join Champion trainer Nicky Henderson’s yard as a conditional from next month.

The 16-year-old riding sensation had been the subject of much speculation as to where he would end up but Henderson was the number 1 choice.

Bowen, who has been touted as a future champion jockey, earlier this year set a new record with 30 winners as a novice point-to-point rider this season.

That was five more than the totals managed by Nick Scholfield in 2007 and Rhys Flint in 2008, who both went on to become professional riders.

Henderson has partnered ten winners under rules so far this season and will be looking forward to having James join his team from October 1.

Speaking to the Herald, James said: “It is a big opportunity for me, it’s a big stable owned by a Champion Trainer. There are plenty of great horses so I’m hopeful it will go well.

“My parents are trainers so I was always brought up around race horses, I started at the age of 9 and then moved to pointing at the age of 16 and it has all been a good experience.”

James also said that there were a number of other places that he could have gone too but added: “At the moment, Nicky’s seemed like the best place to go. I had a day at his yard last Friday where we sorted it out and I’ll be starting at the beginning of October.”

He is looking forward to starting there and wants to ride as much as possible and told us that he would have liked to have won more races than he has.

If the opportunity came up James says he would love to ride in the Grand National but keeping his feet on the ground he said “I’m a long way off being at the top at the moment.”

Brother Sean is also a jockey and James says he is constantly talking to him about tactics for different races.

James adds: “My parents are up for it so that’s good and they’re backing me all the way.”

Coming up James has a couple of rides at Newton Abbot on Friday and another at Plumpton on Sunday before making the move to Nicky Henderson’s yard.

All at the Herald would like to wish James all the best in his time with Mr Henderson.

News

Gareth Southgate resigns as England manager following Euro final

Published

on

In a significant turn of events, England manager Gareth Southgate has stepped down just two days after England’s 2-1 defeat to Spain in the 2024 European Championship final in Berlin. This marks England’s second consecutive Euros final loss, having been beaten on penalties by Italy at Wembley three years prior.

Southgate, 53, who led the national team in 102 matches over his eight-year tenure, was due to see his contract expire later this year. In a heartfelt statement, he expressed his deep pride in having served his country: “As a proud Englishman, it has been the honour of my life to play for England and to manage England. It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all. But it’s time for change, and for a new chapter.”

Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham announced that the process to find Southgate’s successor is underway, aiming for a swift appointment. He assured that an interim solution is in place if required and that there would be no further comments until a new manager is named.

England’s next fixture is against the Republic of Ireland in the Nations League on 7 September. FA sources have indicated that the selection process is unlikely to be restricted to English managers alone. Potential candidates include Under-21 boss Lee Carsley for an interim role, Newcastle’s Eddie Howe, former Brighton and Chelsea manager Graham Potter, ex-Chelsea and Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino, as well as speculations around ex-Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel, who left Bayern Munich last season.

Southgate’s tenure was notable, as he became the only England manager besides 1966 World Cup winner Sir Alf Ramsey to lead the team to a major tournament final. He guided England through four major tournaments, including the World Cup semi-finals in 2018 and the quarter-finals in 2022. Under his leadership, England won nine knockout matches, a significant improvement from the six won in the 50 years prior.

Despite his successes, Southgate faced mounting pressure this summer, with many fans critical of his utilisation of England’s talented attacking players. The tension peaked when supporters expressed their discontent following a goalless draw against Slovenia in the Euro 2024 group stage. However, he regained some support during England’s run to the final.

Reflecting on his time, Southgate praised the current squad: “The squad we took to Germany is full of exciting young talent and they can win the trophy we all dream of. We have the best fans in the world, and their support has meant the world to me. I’m an England fan and I always will be.”

Prince William, the FA president, commended Southgate for his leadership, saying: “Thank you for showing humility, compassion, and true leadership under the most intense pressure and scrutiny. And thank you for being an all-round class act. You should be incredibly proud of what you’ve achieved.”

Tributes also poured in from players, with Declan Rice and Jordan Pickford expressing their gratitude for Southgate’s guidance and support.

Southgate, who replaced Sam Allardyce in 2016, concluded with a message of thanks to his players and staff, singling out assistant Steve Holland as “one of the most talented coaches of his generation.” Reflecting on his journey, he stated, “I joined the FA in 2011, determined to improve English football. I hope we get behind the players and the team at St George’s Park and the FA who strive every day to improve English football, and understand the power football has to drive positive change.”

Bullingham lauded Southgate for making “the impossible job possible” and laying strong foundations for future success. He added, “Over the last eight years they have transformed the England men’s team, delivering unforgettable memories for everyone who loves the Three Lions. We look back at Gareth’s tenure with huge pride – his contribution to the English game, including a significant role in player development, and in culture transformation has been unique.”

As the search for a new manager begins, Southgate’s departure marks the end of a remarkable chapter in English football, one that brought hope, pride, and a renewed belief in the Three Lions.

Continue Reading

News

The Three Welsh athletes that featured at Wimbledon

Published

on

IN A HISTORIC moment for Welsh tennis, three Welsh athletes competed in various events over the two-week duration of Wimbledon 2024. Mimi Xu (16) and Viktor Frydrych (18) showcased their talents in Junior Wimbledon, while Niall Pickerd-Barua (13) made his debut in the 14-and-under invitational event.

Mimi Xu from Swansea reached the finals of the girls’ doubles alongside fellow Brit Mika Stojsavljevic (15). The pair impressively knocked out the number 1 seeds in the quarter-finals and won all but one match in straight sets. This was the first time Xu and Stojsavljevic teamed up for a Grand Slam event.

The duo narrowly missed the title, losing in the final to the Australian Open Girls’ Doubles Champions Tyra Caterina Grant and Iva Jovic, with scores of 5-7, 6-4, [8-10]. An emotional Xu thanked the Wimbledon crowds and her team for their support throughout the event.

Xu also competed in the girls’ singles event, advancing to the second round before being defeated by Hungary’s Rositsa Dencheva.

Viktor Frydrych from Bangor played his final Junior Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals in the boys’ doubles with his Norwegian teammate Nicolai Budkov Kjaer (17).

In the singles event, Frydrych started strong, winning the first set 6-1 in the first round. However, multiple rain delays disrupted the match, and his opponent came back to win the next two sets 2-6, 2-6.

Frydrych now looks forward to concluding his junior career and transitioning to a full-time professional career.

Mika Stojsavljevic of Great Britain and Mingge Xu of Great Britain pose with the Girl’s Doubles Runner-Up Trophies. (Photo: Daniel Kopatsch)

Niall Pickerd-Barua, the current U14 British champion, made his Wimbledon debut in the 14-and-under event. Pickerd-Barua played four matches, competing against players from Brazil, Japan, and America in a round-robin format. In the playoff stage, Pickerd-Barua was eliminated in a close match by Johann Nagel-Heyer (13), with scores of 6-2, 5-7, [8-10].

Following Wimbledon, the Junior World Rankings place Xu in 9th position, just two places behind British Junior number 1, Hannah Klugman (15). Frydrych now sits at 40th in the boys’ rankings, Still being comfortably in the top 50.

Both Xu and Frydrych are set to compete in the Junior US Open next month.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

New Radio series on remarkable rise of women’s football

Published

on

FROM hand-me-downs to heroes, a new three-part show celebrates the incredible growth of women’s football in Wales

BBC Radio Wales has today announced a new series Iconic: The Rise of the Women in Red, documenting the rise of women’s football in Wales. 

Presented by Jess Fishlock, Wales’ most capped footballer, the series offers an unprecedented look into the evolution of women’s football from its humble beginnings to its current status as a sporting phenomenon. With exclusive access to the Football Association of Wales (FAW), the series features in-depth interviews with prominent figures in the sport, including Welsh captain Sophie Ingle and midfield star Angharad James.

The series delves into the early days of women’s football when players wore hand-me-down kits from the men’s teams and played in front of modest crowds. It tells of the struggles of those who paved the way for the current generation of female footballers, to the present day where thousands of fans flock to stadiums to watch women’s football, and even more tune in to the television and radio coverage.

Jess Fishlock says, “I’m really excited that our story’s finally getting told and people can see how far this game has gone but also what has been sacrificed to get us to where we are right now in the women’s game.”

Carolyn Hitt, Head of BBC Radio Wales says “The series highlights how more women and girls than ever before are taking up the sport – as fans and as players.  It really showcases the FAW’s efforts to foster this growth and support the women’s game at all levels.  Jess Fishlock’s unique perspective and engaging storytelling brings to life the triumphs, challenges, and aspirations of the team whilst also providing a candid look at the professional journeys of these women.”

Sue Butler, Managing Editor, BBC Wales Sport, says “In the run-up to these crucial play-offs for UEFA Women’s Euro 2025, the series is a timely celebration of the progress and potential of Welsh women’s football. It will inspire and energize fans and players alike as the national team prepares for one of its most significant challenges yet.”

This three-part series will premiere on BBC Radio Wales and BBC Sounds this October.

Continue Reading

News3 hours ago

First Minister quits after less than four months in job

FIRST MINISTER Vaughan Gething has announced his resignation. Gething did not offer any apologies for the events of the past...

News4 hours ago

LIVE – Welsh Government ministers quit and call for First Minister to go

FOUR senior ministers of the Welsh Government have dramatically tendered their resignations in a bold protest against the leadership of...

Crime22 hours ago

Ex-mayor gets suspended sentence for child images offences

A FORMER mayor of Pembroke Dock has been given a suspended jail sentence for the possession and distribution of indecent...

Community3 days ago

Sumatran tiger cub named Zaza is first ever born in a Welsh zoo

MANOR WILDLIFE PARK said this week that it is thrilled to announce the birth of a Sumatran tiger cub, named...

Community3 days ago

Neyland Carnival 2024: A resounding success

THIS year’s carnival dazzled spectators and participants alike today, marking one of the most memorable events in recent years. Thousands...

News4 days ago

Swimmers warned off west Wales beaches following pollution incident

SWIMMERS have been advised to avoid two popular beaches in west Wales following a pollution incident. On Friday (Jul 12)...

Politics4 days ago

King Charles III addresses Senedd to mark 25th anniversary of Welsh devolution

KING CHARLES III addressed the Welsh Parliament on a visit to celebrate 25 years since the then-National Assembly for Wales...

News6 days ago

Several injured in Oakwood Theme Park ride incident

A ROUTINE day at Oakwood Theme Park took a horrifying turn yesterday when the park’s ‘Bounce’ ride malfunctioned, resulting in...

Politics6 days ago

Tufnell promises to make sure Pembrokeshire is at the heart of government policy

MID AND SOUTH Pembrokeshire’s new Labour MP has travelled to London for his first day representing the constituency after his...

Crime1 week ago

Milford man admits 23 sexual offences against children

A MILFORD HAVEN man has appeared before a District Judge accused of committing 23 sexual offences against four girls under...

Popular This Week