Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Judge queries rape trial delay

Published

on

3416292The Swansea Crown Court trial of a Haverfordwest man ended in a hung jury on Friday afternoon (September 20).
The foreman of the jury informed the court at around 4pm that a verdict could not be agreed, and a majority of ten or eleven jurors could also not be agreed either. The foreman said there was no prospect that further deliberations would help.  Deliberations had lasted for over six and a half hours.
Geraint Walters, prosecuting, was given seven days in which to consult with the CPS over a possible retrial.
Harley Rees, aged 19, was accused of raping a friend in August or September of 2010. The girl had taken a year to come forward with a complaint, and the police and CPS had taken a further year to make a decision to bring charges.
His Honour Judge Thomas asked discharded the jury, thanking them for their service and said that their public duty was “invaluable.”
HH Judge Thomas said “It is difficult in these case of cases when views can be polorised one way or another for jurys to reach a verdict. Please do not think that you have let anyone down by not agreeing. I would like to thank each and every one of you for your sevice today”
After the jury had left the room, and addressing prosecutor Geraint Walters in open court, HH Judge Thomas said: “This trial has been carried out by professionalism and expedition by the barriesters in this court, but what I would like to find out is why did a charging decision take so long?”
The judge added: “It seems to me that problems have been caused by a lack of manpower in the Crown Prosecution Service and that you have not received the logistical back up you needed to do you job. You have been disadvantaged and struggling. In a case of this seriousness you should be given all the support you deserve, no matter what the cost.”
Harley Rees, who had been sobbing and hugging family members whilst the jury was deliberating, was smiling and confident as he walked out of court. With his new girlfriend at his side he spoke to the Herald outside the courtroom.
“I am happy with the outcome of today’s hearing” he said.
Rees added: “Now I want to go home and relax for the next seven days and wait to find out if there is going to be a retrial”
The alleged victim can not be named for legal reasons, and Rees remains on bail pending the possible retrial.

Continue Reading

Business

Bug Farm explains rush to keep people and animals safe as raging wildfire approached

Published

on

A PEMBROKESHIRE business has taken to the internet to thank everyone who has supported them throughout the recent grass fires. The management of Dr Beynon’s Bug Farm said on Facebook: “Thank you everyone for your kind comments about the fire.

“Being told that you may lose your family home, cows and nature reserve is rather sobering.

The business describes itself as a visitor and research centre located on a farm wildlife reserve grazed by our Tyddewi Herd of Welsh Black cattle. IT has a focus on invertebrates (bugs) alongside sustainable food and farming, they are also home of Grub Kitchen & Bug Farm Foods. 

However all of that was hanging in the balance with people and animals threatened by the oncoming flames.

Ongoing battle: Tabitha and Andy extinguishing a reignition.

They explained: “With the fire just one field away from them, our first priority was getting our cows to a safer area. We had a team of ecologists working on the land who thankfully saw the fire and got away in time. Then we looked up and said: “oh my gosh, the house”.

“All my memories of my late mum and dad were in the house. We drove through the smoke and flames to reach it. I will never forget seeing the small mammals running for their lives across the road, in particular a rabbit with charred fur that stopped in the middle of the road and looked straight at me before carrying on. The firefighters said their priority was trying to save the first 5 houses of Nun Street if possible.

“Ours was number 1, the house nearest to the fire. I was allowed one dash in by the firefighters to grab what I could. Typically, the fire expanded behind me, with Andy the other side of it not being able to contact me. It was completely terrifying for everyone.

No entry: The fire jumped a road at one point during the incident

“A huge thank you to my cousin Rachel and Nick for hosing down the garden as the fire reached the garden hedge and closing all the windows of the house while I grabbed precious memories. Thanks to a monumental effort, our house, Tabitha’s home, the cows and most of our fledgling nature reserve at Penweathers are safe. The fire team were amazing.

“After putting the main blaze out on Saturday, they must have returned 4 or 5 times on Sunday, when we, Adam Vincent at Clwb and the TYF Adventure guides couldn’t control the blazes.

“Following advice from the fire officer, Andy did an amazing job on Saturday night and Sunday cutting fire breaks around our meadows as a preventative measure to stop the fire spreading to the houses in St Davids and the cathedral cemetery if it reignited (which it did…time and time again).

“Tabitha and Angela worked tirelessly with us and Adam putting out the fires and a big thanks to Lou for helping out too.

Devastation: Scorched earth remains after the blaze was extinguished

“On Sunday, two big fires started, one at Newgale and another at a South Pembs recycling centre, and all the fire teams in the county were called away. It was an odd feeling on Sunday evening, hearing the local fire officer saying that all engines in west Wales were deployed elsewhere so, if it re-started, we were pretty much on our own and so we should do everything we could to extinguish the new, small fires so they couldn’t escalate.

“We managed to keep on top of the small fires and smoking bales thanks to regular patrols and local residents calling us whenever they spotted smoke so we could rush to extinguish new fires before they got too big.

Destroyed by fire: Shed’s seen better days

“After almost 24 hours of fire-free time, we thought we had won and then, on Tuesday afternoon, got a call to say that smoke had been spotted again.

“By the time we arrived, Adam was extinguishing a smoking bale and then we found a smoking hawthorn tree in a largely unburnt hedge, at the edge of what had burnt: within seconds, the trunk was glowing bright red, with flames starting to spread.

Fire appliances responding to the blaze

“Thanks to the rain, we had our first fire-free day yesterday (the second busiest day of the year at The Bug Farm). Please bear with us over the next few days if we are a bit zombie-like, we are all exhausted and still a bit shaken, but so, so thankful that it has ended how it has.

Scale of burned area and proximity to residential property can be seen clearly in this shot

“The fire burnt through our neighbour’s arable land and improved grassland, destroying the crops, but seemed to skirt around our wildlife habitat, going through the hedge banks but not making it across our fields, despite them being long grass meadows. Having been told at least 5 times over the past few days that it is: “long grass and bl**dy rewilding like you are doing” that is causing these fires to spread, it is worth noting that the re-wetted marshy grassland stopped the fire in its tracks and stopped it getting to the cemetery and to St Davids houses on Nun Street – you can see it very clearly in the pictures below. Oh and it started by someone leaving glass bottles on the footpath.

“Please take your litter home and don’t smoke or have barbecues in the countryside in a drought.

“Lots of people have kindly offered to help. If you would like to help, please grab gloves and a bag and walk the Pilgrim’s Way footpath that is now partially burnt, picking up glass bottles, cans and other human detritus that is now visible to help stop this happening again.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Outstanding tenor to give a recital in Rhosygilwen as first full week of music festival gets underway in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

AN OUTSTANDING tenor will start the first full week of concerts by the Fishguard and West Wales International Music Festival 2022. Stuart Jackson was a choral scholar at Christ Church, Oxford before completing his training at the Royal Academy of Music in 2013 where he studied with Ryland Davies. 

He has performed at Glyndebourne, Stuttgart Opera ,the BBC Proms and at numerous major festivals, He will be accompanied on the piano by Jocelyn Freeman at his recital next week in Rhosygilwen on Monday August 22.

St Mary’s Church Haverfordwest will be the venue for London Brass on Wednesday, August 23. Described as ‘the UK’s most famous and long-established brass ensemble’, they have appeared in concerts worldwide. 

The Welsh National Opera Orchestra will return to the Festival at the end of the week to give two concerts. Their concert at St David’s Cathedral on Thursday will feature music by Benjamin Britten, Mahler and Dvorak with acclaimed mezzo soprano Dame Sarah Connolly. 

The WNO Chamber Ensemble will end the first week of concerts with a recital at St Mary’s Church, Haverfordwest.

Further concerts will follow with artists including Llyr Williams, Peter Donohoe, Rebecca Evans, The Marian Consort, Sacconi Quartet and the European Union Chamber Orchestra.

Gillian Green MBE, Artistic Director of the Festival, said: “A feast of world class music covering six centuries awaits audiences over the next three weeks in one of the most beautiful parts of Wales. The Festival is very excited about the variety of events on offer from now until early September comprising orchestral, choral and chamber music, solo recitals together with folk and world music.”

Dates for this year’s Fishguard and West Wales International Music Festival are Saturday, August 20 to Saturday, September 10 2022.

Continue Reading

News

South West Wales enters a state of Drought as dry weather continues

Published

on

FOLLOWING the extended period of dry weather, Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has confirmed that the trigger thresholds have been met to move South West Wales into drought status from Friday, August 19.

NRW’s decision to move from prolonged dry weather status to drought for the area was agreed and shared with a meeting of the Welsh Government’s Drought Liaison Group and after consideration of the exacerbated pressures the high temperatures and lack of significant rainfall have had on the environment in this area.

The rest of Wales remains in prolonged dry weather status but concerns still remain. While essential supplies of water remain safe, the public and businesses in drought affected areas should be very mindful of the pressures on water resources and should use water wisely.  NRW continues to closely monitor the situation across Wales, working with partners and will take action as required.  

Natalie Hall, Sustainable Water Manager for NRW, said: “Prolonged dry weather can lead to drought when rainfall remains low. This can impact some of our most precious habitats and species as well as systems we often take for granted, such as our water supplies.

“We have decided to declare a state of drought in South West Wales after it was clear the lack of rain and recent heat have put a huge strain on our rivers, reservoirs and groundwater levels.“

The areas affected are:

  • North Ceredigion (Rheidol, Aeron, Ystwyth)
  • Teifi
  • Pembrokeshire (Eastern and Western Cleddau)
  • Carmarthen (Tywi and Taf)
  • Swansea and Llanelli (Tawe and Loughor)
  • Neath Port Talbot and Bridgend (Neath, Afan, Ogmore)

South West Wales received just 65.5% of its average rainfall in July and all river levels in the area are lower than expected for this time of the year, with the Ewenny, Teifi and Taf exceptionally low.

Low groundwater levels coupled with record high temperatures, have also put a strain on the region’s ecosystems as well as public water supplies in Pembrokeshire and parts of Carmarthenshire.

The rest of the country continues to experience a period of prolonged dry weather, despite there being some recent rainfall.

Across the rest of Wales, the majority of rivers across Wales are lower than expected for the time of year, with many exceptionally low including the Alyn, Conwy, Clwyd, Taf, Teifi, Ewenny, Wye, Usk and Ebbw. 

Between March and July Wales received just 61% of its expected rainfall resulting in the driest five-month period in 40 years

NRW is advising the residents of Pembrokeshire to follow water conservation advice given by Dwr Cymru/Welsh Water, who have introduced a temporary use ban,  more commonly known as a hosepipe ban, which will also come into effect today (Friday 19 August).

NRW and Welsh Government (WG) also attend the national drought group for England to address any cross-border concerns.

Natalie added: “While certain parts of Wales may be experiencing rain, it can still take a long time to recover from drought, making water a precious resource.

“We’re urging the public to save water where possible; you can find the latest ad advice on water by visiting your water company’s website or Waterwise (www.waterwise.org.uk).

“Please report any incidents on the current dry weather on our 24-hour hotline on 0300 065 3000.”

Continue Reading

Business13 hours ago

Bug Farm explains rush to keep people and animals safe as raging wildfire approached

A PEMBROKESHIRE business has taken to the internet to thank everyone who has supported them throughout the recent grass fires....

News20 hours ago

South West Wales enters a state of Drought as dry weather continues

FOLLOWING the extended period of dry weather, Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has confirmed that the trigger thresholds have been met...

News1 day ago

Large emergency service mobilisation to assist driver who went over cliff near oil refinery

POLICE, ambulance, coastguard, RNLI and two helicopters were all involved in the extraction of a casualty from a vehicle which...

News2 days ago

School leavers receiving A level results across Pembrokeshire today

A LEVEL RESULTS posted this morning show an overall 98* pass rate at grades A* to E compared with 99.1%...

News3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Show opens today, and promises to be ‘action-packed’

WALES’ largest county agricultural show, Pembrokeshire County Show, opens today (Aug 17), and promises to be action-packed next week. The...

News3 days ago

Police investigating early morning hit-and-run in Pembroke; Officers appeal for information

POLICE in Pembroke are investigating a road traffic collision which occurred at about 2.15am on Sunday (Aug 14). A silver...

Health4 days ago

Health board: COVID-19 vaccinations will be by appointment only from end of this month

THE LOCAL health board has announced that from August 31, access to Mass Vaccination Centres (MVCs) in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and...

News4 days ago

Police looking for a suspect following disturbance in Narberth High Street

POLICE are investigating an incident which occurred at about 1am on Sunday morning, 31st July 2022 in Narberth . A...

News4 days ago

Seven injured in A477 road accident near Neyland – Two remain in hospital

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses after seven people were injured in a road accident. Two people remain in hospital...

News5 days ago

100 firemen at recycling centre blaze which will take ‘days to extinguish’

OFFICIALS from Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service have said that a fire at TBS Recycling in Waterston...

Popular This Week