Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Chevron blast: Who is actually being prosecuted?

Published

on

CLAIMS by Valero Energy UK Ltd, the company operating Pembroke refinery, that it is not being prosecuted by HSE over a fatal blast in 2011 have been contradicted by the Health and Safety Executive.

But the incident clearly took place when Chevron was at the helm – so why is Valero being prosecuted, whilst Chevron is not?

The answer is about corporate structures, and the law governing companies.

Chevron Corporation in the USA will not face prosecution, as it sold the company which operated the oil refinery to Valero Energy Corporation, another American firm, in 2011, two months after the explosion which killed four people.

That operating company, which was originally founded in 1916 as Texaco Limited, became Chevron Limited in 2006, and then Valero Energy Limited on 10 August 2011.

On 31 December 2013 Valero Energy Limited became Valero Energy UK Limited during a corporate restructuring exercise.

In effect, the company Chevron Limited, which was the company operating on behalf of the American oil giant in the UK is still operating, under its new name Valero Energy UK Ltd.

In law, a company is a legal person, meaning it can be prosecuted and found guilty of an offence, just like a real person. Even if a person changes his or her name, a prosecution can still be brought for an alleged crime before the name change.

In this case, the companies being prosecuted by HSE are B & A Contracts Limited, and the firm founded 1916 as Texaco Limited which is now called Valero Energy UK Ltd. If you think that is confusing consider that the refinery is now being run by Valero Energy Limited, a different legal entity to Valero Energy UK Limited – but both still owned by Valero in the USA.

If they were being accurate, Valero would have to admit they were being prosecuted – but as one company they own, but as another, and that Chevron Corporation is completely home and dry.

Confirming that there had been confusion regarding who exactly was being prosecuted, a spokesperson from the Health and Safety Executive told The Herald: “Valero Energy UK Limited is one of the companies that HSE is prosecuting. The company number is 00145197. That company was previously named Valero Energy Limited and previous to that Chevron Limited. It should be noted that the current operator of the refinery now is Valero Energy Limited, which is a different legal entity.”

A Valero spokesperson said: “We can confirm we have been informed that the Health & Safety Executive is to bring proceedings against Chevron in relation to the incident at Pembroke Refinery in 2011.”

“Valero itself is named as a party to the proceedings simply because of its subsequent acquisition of the refinery.”

The Herald does not agree that proceedings are being taken against Chevron in any way.

The families have been asked for a comment.

 

Crime

Milford Haven man admits affray after alleged pub incident

Published

on

A MILFORD HAVEN man has admitted affray following an incident at a town centre pub.

Stephen Collier, 38, of Vaynor Road, Milford Haven, appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21).

Collier has pleaded guilty to affray, relating to an incident at Nos Da, Victoria Road, Milford Haven, on December 3, 2025.

The charge states that he used unlawful violence towards John Dean Hilton and that his conduct was such as would cause a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene to fear for their personal safety.

Collier also faces a separate charge of burglary dwelling with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm. It is alleged that, on the same date, he entered a flat at Nos Da as a trespasser and inflicted grievous bodily harm on Mr Hilton. He denies that charge.

The court also dealt with a breach of bail allegation after Collier was arrested on May 20 for allegedly breaching a curfew condition. He admitted the breach.

Magistrates re-admitted him to conditional bail.

His bail conditions include a daily electronically monitored curfew between 9:00pm and 6:00am, residence at his Vaynor Road address, and exclusions from Mount Estate, Milford Haven town centre, and Nos Da.

He must also not contact prosecution witnesses, including Molly Martin, Jack Martin, Lily Rose Martin and John Hilton.

Collier is due to appear at Swansea Crown Court on Friday, June 5, for sentence.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Carmarthen woman accused of Tenby hotel assault and criminal damage

Published

on

A CARMARTHEN woman is due to appear at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court accused of assault and criminal damage at a Tenby hotel.

Kerry McReynolds, 35, of Trem Y Coleg, Carmarthen, is charged with assaulting Ryan Mayne by beating him in Tenby on May 9.

She is also accused of damaging potted plants worth £35 belonging to Tenby House Hotel on May 10.

McReynolds appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for a bail variation application.

She was remanded on conditional bail, with a condition not to enter Tenby House Hotel.

Her next hearing is listed for Tuesday (May 26) at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court.

 

Continue Reading

Crime

Pembroke Dock woman denies drink-driving

Published

on

A PEMBROKE DOCK woman has denied driving while over the alcohol limit.

Joanna Whittall, 39, of West Merrion Drive, Pembroke Dock, is accused of driving a Ford Focus on West Merrion Drive on December 30, 2025, with 43 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Whittall pleaded not guilty at an earlier hearing and appeared before Llanelli Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (May 21) for further case management.

She was released on unconditional bail.

A trial is listed for June 4 at Llanelli Magistrates’ Court.

 

Continue Reading

Crime20 minutes ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community31 minutes ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government5 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community1 day ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime1 day ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg2 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Crime3 days ago

Stolen vehicle investigation after late-night crash in Waterston

A VEHICLE involved in a late-night single-vehicle crash in Waterston, Milford Haven, is believed to have been stolen, police have...

Community3 days ago

Paul Davies MS calls for review of parking charges in Ceredigion following concerns

SENEDD Member for Ceredigion Penfro, Paul Davies, has called on Ceredigion County Council to urgently review its policy on car...

Popular This Week