Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Brand new attractions unveiled at Scolton Manor

Published

on

Youngsters enjoy the new adventure play area.

SCOLTON Manor’s reputation as one of Pembrokeshire’s favourite family attractions has been boosted by a £160,000 investment.

Ready for visitors this Easter are a range of new features, including an adventure play area, a welcome centre and gift shop, and the newly-remodelled ‘Edie’s Tea Room’.

The funding comprises £128,000 from Welsh Government and the EU with the remaining £32,000 from Pembrokeshire County Council.

The attractions were unveiled officially on Friday. Mark Thomas, manager of Scolton Manor, said the team were looking forward to welcoming visitors to the site.

“We’re delighted with our new facilities and believe they perfectly complement the attractions we have here already at Scolton,” he said.

The adventure play area includes a 30-metre zip-wire, a spinning climbing web, ‘super swings’ and more. The area is aimed towards older children while younger ones can enjoy
the wooden playground already on site. There is also a sensory musical play area and woodland play features.

The welcome centre and gift shop – complete with mini ice- cream parlour – has been created by renovating an existing building near the car parks.

“We believe the centre will offer a much improved visitor reception to Scolton,” said Mark. “It will provide information and guides to all our attractions, including the walled garden
project, beekeeping centre, and the Victorian manor house with its changing schedule of exhibitions.

“There are also timetables for family activities, a range of gifts, and tourist information on other attractions in the county.”

A highly-anticipated new feature on the site is the new ‘Edie’s Tea Room’ adjoining the manor house, named after Edith Higgon from the Higgon family which ran the Scolton estate in Victorian times.

As well as providing a delicious new menu, the tea room intends to be a more accessible and welcoming space for visitors and includes a second-hand bookshop.

Much of the tea room re-fit work was carried out by Norman Industries, thanks to a £12,000 grant from the Welsh Government. Integrated Care Fund Mark said he felt the new developments not only enhanced Scolton’s role as a community facility, but also provided
people of all ages with a wider range of countryside experiences at a lower cost.

“It will continue the development of the site into a must-visit tourist attraction within mid and North Pembrokeshire,” he added.

The adventure play area and welcome centre received funding through the Welsh Government Rural Communities – Rural Development Programme 2014-20, which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development and the Welsh Government.

Community

Police operation in St Florence after girl goes missing

Published

on

A LARGE police response was launched in St Florence on Sunday morning (Apr 6) following reports of a missing child.

Emergency services, including multiple police vehicles and a helicopter, were seen speeding to the quiet Pembrokeshire village shortly after 10:00am with sirens sounding.

The Herald understands that the missing person was a six-year-old girl, and that officers began immediate door-to-door inquiries in an effort to locate her.

One local resident said: “Police knocked on my door at around 10:30am saying a six-year-old was missing and they were concerned. They were asking for any information and knocking on all the properties.”

Another witness added: “I saw a police helicopter just after ten-o-clock in the morning. There was so much police activity— so many police cars.”

Fortunately, the girl was found safe and well a short time later.

Tenby, Saundersfoot and Narberth Police posted an update on social media, saying: “There has been a large police presence in St Florence this morning following a report of a missing person.

“We can confirm that the person has been located safe and well.

“Thank you to the local community for their support and patience.”

Continue Reading

Health

New patient deal aims to cut NHS waiting times across Wales

Published

on

A NEW deal between the NHS and the public is at the centre of a plan to drive down the longest waiting times for healthcare in Wales.

Health Secretary Jeremy Miles is expected to unveil a strategy this week aimed at reducing the overall waiting list by 200,000 patients by March 2026. The plan also sets targets to eliminate two-year waits for planned treatments and restore a maximum eight-week wait for diagnostic tests.

A key part of the announcement is the introduction of a new “patient deal”, which aims to improve transparency, reduce missed appointments and ensure better preparation for surgery. This deal will be incorporated into updated referral-to-treatment guidelines due later this month.

What the new deal includes:

  • Faster access to planned care with patients told how long they can expect to wait once added to the list.
  • Waiting time tracking through the NHS Wales App, with updates available from June.
  • Only fit and well patients will be added to surgical waiting lists, in line with evidence showing they recover more quickly and have better outcomes.
  • Support to get surgery-ready, with help to improve health before treatment.
  • Appointment changes, where patients will be offered two dates. If they miss both without good reason, they will be removed from the waiting list.
  • Alternatives and risks explained, so patients are fully informed before deciding on surgery.

Each year, around 700,000 outpatient appointments in Wales are either missed by patients or cancelled. Health boards will now be under stricter obligations to reduce these disruptions, and to minimise the number of cancellations made by the NHS itself.

Mr Miles said: “The NHS will do all it can to prioritise faster access to treatment. In return, we are asking the public to prioritise and keep their appointments so that, together, we make the best possible use of scarce NHS resources.

“We cannot continue losing one in seven appointments due to no-shows or other avoidable reasons. These missed slots delay care for everyone and waste vital resources.

“Evidence shows people in better health recover more quickly and require shorter hospital stays. By preparing patients properly and ensuring they understand all treatment options, we can deliver better outcomes and greater efficiency.”

The Welsh Government hopes the new plan will bring waiting lists closer to pre-pandemic levels. As well as reducing overall waiting list size by 200,000 by March 2026, the government has pledged to ensure no one waits more than two years for planned treatment and to restore the eight-week target for diagnostic testing.

Health boards will be expected to continue transforming how they deliver planned care over the next 12 months. This includes adopting more regional working models and implementing recommendations from the Ministerial Advisory Group on NHS Performance and Productivity, due to report later this month.

Continue Reading

News

Welsh pensioners to receive state pension increase amidst mixed reactions

Published

on

STARTING this month, over 600,000 pensioners across Wales will see their State Pensions rise by up to £470 annually, following the UK Government’s adherence to the ‘triple lock’ policy. This policy ensures that pensions increase each year by the highest of average earnings growth, inflation, or a minimum of 2.5%.

Government’s Position

The UK Government has emphasized its commitment to supporting pensioners through the triple lock. In a recent statement, it was noted that this commitment would result in the State Pension increasing by up to £1,900 over the course of the current Parliament.

Opposition and Think Tank Critiques

However, the policy has faced criticism from various quarters. The Liberal Democrats have raised concerns about the real impact of the pension increase, pointing out that due to the freezing of income tax thresholds, a significant portion of the pension rise could be offset by increased tax liabilities. They estimate that a typical basic rate tax-paying pensioner might see 77% of the pension increase negated by these tax measures.

Additionally, the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) has questioned the sustainability of the triple lock mechanism. They argue that while the policy aims to protect pensioners’ incomes, it may not be the most efficient approach and could lead to unpredictable fiscal burdens.

Pensions Minister’s Stance

Torsten Bell, the newly appointed Pensions Minister, has previously described the triple lock as “rubbish” and advocated for its replacement with a system that aligns state pension increases with benefits for jobseekers and the long-term sick. Despite his past remarks, recent reports indicate that he is now “fully committed” to maintaining the triple lock.

Economic Implications

Financial experts have also highlighted potential unintended consequences of the pension increase. The freezing of personal tax allowances means that some pensioners may find themselves pushed into higher tax brackets, thereby reducing the net benefit of the pension rise. This situation underscores the complex interplay between pension policies and tax regulations.

In summary, while the increase in State Pensions is a welcome development for many Welsh pensioners, it has sparked a broader debate about the effectiveness and sustainability of the triple lock policy, as well as its interaction with the broader tax system.

Continue Reading

News16 hours ago

Welsh pensioners to receive state pension increase amidst mixed reactions

STARTING this month, over 600,000 pensioners across Wales will see their State Pensions rise by up to £470 annually, following...

News19 hours ago

Spot checks uncover taxi issues in Milford Haven and Neyland

Six suspensions, untaxed vehicle and missing badges found SPOT checks on taxis and private hire vehicles in Milford Haven, Neyland...

News2 days ago

Fire chief praises crews for response to grass fires

Over 250 incidents tackled during dry spell THE CHIEF Fire Officer of Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service...

News2 days ago

Man paralysed after being shot during weapons test at Pendine MoD range

Defence firm fined £800,000 over ‘devastating’ safety failure A CIVILIAN weapons expert was left paralysed from the neck down after...

Crime2 days ago

Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross...

Charity3 days ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business4 days ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime4 days ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News4 days ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business4 days ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

Popular This Week