Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Violent incident at Milford Haven restaurant sees six arrested

Published

on

SIX people were arrested after a “violent incident” on Milford Haven’s Charles Street this weekend.

Dyfed-Powys Police is appealing for information about the incident, which took place on Sunday 21 July, 8pm at the Essence of India restaurant.

Police have said enquiries are still ongoing and are asking for witnesses to come forward to provide information.

A statement from Dyfed Powys Police said: “A violent incident took place at around 20:00 on Sunday 21 July at the Essence of India restaurant, Charles St. Six individuals were arrested at scene and enquiries are ongoing. We are looking for witnesses to come forward. Please contact PC 755 Mitchell on 101.”

 

Local Government

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Published

on

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background

HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a new mayor after Councillor Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner officially took office, marking several historic firsts for the county town.

Councillor Thomas-Turner said he was “incredibly honoured” to become Mayor of Haverfordwest, describing the moment as bigger than one individual and a sign of the town’s changing future.

He is believed to be the youngest Mayor of Haverfordwest in the twenty-first century, the first millennial to hold the role, and the first mayor from a diverse background in the town’s history.

The mayoral ceremony was attended by more than 100 pupils from Fenton Primary School and Prendergast School, who performed during the event.

Speaking after the ceremony, Cllr Thomas-Turner said: “This moment is far bigger than one individual. It is a reflection of how far our community has come and the future we are building together — a future based on unity, opportunity, compassion and community spirit.”

He thanked residents, supporters and local organisations involved in the event, including catering company The Platter Box Co, and announced that his chosen charity for the year will be Snap Specialist Play.

A raffle held during the day raised £387 for the charity.

Giving back

Following the mayor-making ceremony and luncheon, the new mayor, Sheriff of Haverfordwest Cllr Dani Thomas-Turner, Deputy Mayor Adam Benson-Davies, Mayor’s Crier Gareth Jones and Town Clerk Vanessa Lewis-Camacho visited Withybush Hospital to donate leftover food from the event to NHS staff.

Cllr Thomas-Turner said the gesture was intended as a small thank-you to healthcare workers for their dedication to the people of Pembrokeshire.

“Our NHS staff are heroes within our community, and it was important to me that today’s celebrations also gave something back,” he said.

The new mayor pledged to serve residents with “dedication, humility and pride” during his year in office.

Caption:

New mayor: Cllr Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner during his mayor-making ceremony in Haverfordwest (Pic: Supplied)

 

Continue Reading

Community

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

Published

on

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED

PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last year’s event, which drew families, visitors, horses and stalls to Monkton.

The fair will take place on Saturday (May 23) at the Community Centre Field, Pembroke, SA71 4LS, with free entry and everyone welcome.

Last year’s gathering was praised locally for its community spirit, with Pembroke Street Pastors paying tribute to organiser Charlie Price and county councillor Aaron Carey describing it as “very well organised”.

The event brought together horse owners, stall holders and local families, despite poor weather at times.

This year, organisers are again inviting stall holders to take part. A horse drive is also planned from 12:00pm on Sunday (May 24).

Anyone interested in further information or hosting a stall is asked to contact Charlie Price.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Local lettings policy helps sustain rural communities and Welsh language

Published

on

NEW affordable housing developments in North Pembrokeshire are helping local people remain in their communities while supporting rural schools and the Welsh language.

Since 2022, West Wales Housing Association has completed new social housing schemes at Parc Brynach in Dinas Cross and Golwg y Llan in Eglwyswrw.

A further development, Parc Nantwen in Dinas Cross, is nearing completion, with new tenants expected to move in within weeks.

The homes have been welcomed locally in an area where affordability remains a significant challenge for many residents.

West Wales Housing Association introduced a local lettings policy giving priority to applicants with strong links to Eglwyswrw and Dinas Cross.

For the Parc Nantwen development, applicants from the Dinas, Newport and Bro Gwaun communities were prioritised.

The approach has meant a number of local people have been able to secure homes who may otherwise have lost out to applicants with weaker links to the area.

The policy is also seen as important in communities where the Welsh language remains strong. Eglwyswrw and Dinas are served by Welsh-medium primary education at Ysgol Eglwyswrw and Ysgol Bro Ingli in Newport.

The impact is already being felt. Following the completion of Parc Brynach, pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli rose from 86 to more than 100.

Newport and Dinas county councillor Huw Murphy praised West Wales Housing Association for working closely with Dinas Community Council on the lettings policy.

Cllr Murphy said: “The recent lettings policy developed by WWHA, following close liaison with Dinas Community Council, has worked well in enabling houses to be allocated to local people with strong links to their community, where in the past they may have lost out to applicants with more tenuous connections.

“The benefit of a robust local lettings policy has resulted in increased pupil numbers at Ysgol Bro Ingli, while also placing a strong emphasis on protecting the Welsh language, which is very much welcomed.

“I hope that any future affordable housing developments will mirror the recent lettings policy implemented in Dinas Cross and serve as a template elsewhere in Pembrokeshire.”

Supporters say the developments are helping young people and families stay in rural Pembrokeshire, supporting village schools and safeguarding the social and linguistic fabric of North Pembrokeshire’s communities at a time when many rural areas face an ageing population.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government3 minutes ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community1 hour ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime7 hours ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community7 hours ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government11 hours ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community1 day ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime1 day ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News2 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

News2 days ago

Welsh Labour unveils new Senedd spokesperson team

Ken Skates says Labour group will hold Plaid Cymru government to account WELSH Labour’s interim leader Ken Skates MS has...

Cymraeg2 days ago

Two new Milford Haven schools could be built and open by 2032

NEW SCHOOLS in Milford Haven won’t be built before 2030 at the earliest, and 2032 for a planned Welsh Medium...

Popular This Week