Connect with us


Lawrenny edge past Town



LAWRENNY kept the pressure on leaders Neyland on Saturday (Aug 3) as they beat Haverfordwest by three wickets.

Town were put in to bat after Lawrenny won the toss but they were bowled out for 101.

They were on the back foot early on as Danny Potter was out for a second-ball duck when he was bowled by Rob Williams.

Jake Merry and Ben Field looked to get the home side going but they could only add 30 runs before Field, who hit two fours and a six in his score of 20, was caught by James Phillips off the bowling of Williams.

Jake Merry followed soon after as he was caught and bowled by Ryan Morton on a score of 13.

That left Town on 48-3 and that soon became 56-5 as Lee Summons was caught by Phillips off the bowling of Curtis Marsh and the same bowler then trapped Nikhil Mathias leg before for a second-ball duck.

Jack Scriven and Dai Davies added another 22 runs for the sixth wicket but Scriven was then run out by Morton.

Davies made his way to a score of 20 but he was then stumped by Phillips off the bowling of Harry Thomas.

Thomas then bowled Ashley James to leave Town struggling on 87-8.

Simon Holliday hit three fours as he made 17 but he was then bowled by Marsh.

Town’s inning then came to a close as Marsh had Clive Tucker caught by Phillips. That gave Marsh excellent figures of 4-13 from his 11.3 overs.

Needing 102 to win, Lawrenny lost opener Curtis Marsh when he was bowled by Ashley James for a golden duck.

Harry Thomas and James Phillips then shared 40 runs for the second wicket before Phillips was bowled by Dai Davies.

Thomas hit six fours in his score of 29 but he was then run out by Ben Field as Lawrenny slipped to 45-3.

Steve Lewis and Joe Kidney then shared another 24 runs as they continued to edge towards their target.

Lewis added ten runs to the total but he was then caught by Field off the bowling of Clive Tucker.

Kidney and James Skeels then added another 20 runs for the fifth wicket. Kidney had hit three fours and two sixes in his score of 25 but he was then caught by Ashley James off the bowling of Lee Summons.

Skeels then fell for a score of 11 before Buckle was bowled by Summons as Town had Lawrenny seven down with the score on 96.

Thomas Cole and Ryan Morton then held their nerve to see Lawrenny to victory inside 21 overs.

On Saturday (Aug 10), Lawrenny host Neyland in a top of the table clash as they look to keep their title hopes alive.

Haverfordwest will look to bounce back when they take on Cresselly.


Ammanford sign Kurtis Marsh from Lawrenny



LAWRENNY’S Kurtis Marsh will play for Ammanford Cricket Club in the 2022 season after the two clubs agreed a deal.

Marsh was one of Lawrenny’s stand out performers in Division 1 of the Pembrokeshire League this year.

He scored a number of important centuries and fifties as his club just missed out on securing the league title.

In total he scored 1070 runs in 15 innings while his highest score was 140 not out.

He was the Division’s highest scorer by just over 200 runs and was unbeaten in five innings.

On Twitter, Lawrenny Cricket Club said: “Absolutely gutted to lose Kurtis Marsh to Ammanford but he absolutely deserves this opportunity to play at a higher level. An unbelievable player and a top, top bloke. Go and smash it up there Kurt!!”

Marsh will now look forward to testing himself in Division 1 of the South Wales Premier Cricket League.

Continue Reading


Carew and Hakin earn big wins in West Wales Cup



CAREW and Hakin United were big winners on Saturday (Oct 9) as they booked their places in round two of the West Wales Cup.

Carew travelled to Neath Premier Division side Cilfrew Rovers and it didn’t take them long to settle as James Hinchcliffe scored in the opening minute.

Cilfrew’s task became ever harder three minutes later as Adam Muskett scored to put his side in a strong position.

Matthew Evans pulled a goal back for the Rovers after 16 minutes but with five to go until half time Carew scored their third through Sam Christopher.

Muskett and Hinchcliffe scored in quick succession in the second half to all but seal the win for the Rooks.

Goals continued to come as Muskett completed his hat trick before Shaun Whitfield, a Dylan Morgan penalty and two from sub Jack Christopher took Carew’s score into double figures.

Muskett then got his fourth of the game to make it 11-1 to Carew.

Hakin also made the trip to Neath to face Division 1 side Resolven and, like Carew, they did not have to wait long for the first goal of the game.

It came from Justin Harding after four minutes and it was soon 2-0 as Jaden Chapman scored.

Ben Aldred then scored two goals in the space of two minutes, both assisted by Ryan Wilson, to effectively win the game for the visitors.

Harding added his second and Hakin’s fifth shortly before half time.

Twenty minutes into the second half, the Vikings added a sixth as sub Laurie Haworth found the back of the net.

Aldred and Chapman added to the scoring before Shane Walsh scored with three minutes to go to seal a 9-0 win.

Kilgetty bowed out of the competition as they were beaten 4-2 by Giants Grave. St Ishmaels were also sent packing after they were beaten 7-3 by CKSV.

Merlins Bridge’s game away at Treboeth was postponed because of a positive covid-19 case amongst one of the Neath teams’ players.

Continue Reading


Saints go through to round two



ST Clears booked their place in the second round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Oct 9) as they beat Llangyfelach 3-0.

The Saints started the game slowly with most of the squad having been at captain Danny Peters’ wedding the day before.

Swansea Senior League Division 2 side Llangyfelach hit the post early on in what was their only real chance of the first half.

The Saints had quite a few chances to take the lead as Steve Thomas hit the bar with a good header from Ben John.

They slowly got on top and and they finally took the lead when the Llangyfelach keeper spilled a corner and Kyran Lewis nodded in from close range.

The second half was tight with more chances coming for the visitors but it was also heated at times with a number of yellow cards shown.

The second goal for the Saints when Nick squire hit a 30 yard effort from outside the box into the top corner, assisted by Martin Thomas.

Shortly before full time, the home side had Michael Matwychuk sent off for an apparent off the ball elbow.

Nick squire scored his second of the game from close range not long after to seal the victory.

The Saints’ reward for their win is a home tie against Felinfoel in the second round.

Continue Reading


News21 hours ago

Nathaniel Nuttal charged over serious assault in Monkton

A 32-YEAR-OLD man who was arrested following a serious assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13) has appeared in...

News2 days ago

New video of Haverfordwest High School construction project

A new video has been released of the incredible progress made at Pembrokeshire County Council’s biggest capital project to date. ...

News2 days ago

Monkton man in hospital with serious injuries following early morning assault

A MAN has been taken to hospital with serious injuries following an assault in Monkton on Wednesday Morning (October 13)....

Education3 days ago

Shwmae ‘rocks’ project in the lead-up to Shwmae Day

TO mark Shwmae Day this year, Pembrokeshire County Council and Menter Iaith Sir Benfro have come together to create a...

News3 days ago

“Inspirational” Haverfordwest station retailer celebrates 60 years’ service

A STATION retailer who has clocked up 60 years’ service has been praised as “an inspirational member of the railway...

News4 days ago

Visiting to Withybush Hospital to restart tomorrow for some wards

VISITING to Withybush Hospital will restart tomorrow, Wednesday (Oct 13), however, visiting for wards 10 and 12 will remain restricted at this...

Health4 days ago

A round up of Covid changes to measures and information

FROM Today (Oct 12) Pembrokeshire County Council is urging the public to be vigilant following the important changes to the...

News5 days ago

Neyland: Jason James sentenced to 30 years for rape and abuse of young children

A MAN has been sentenced to 30 years – 22 years in prison with an eight-year extended period on licence –...

Health5 days ago

Hywel Dda Health Board: Visiting restrictions for Withybush Hospital

DUE to increased cases of Covid-19 in hospital and the community, the decision has been made to close Withybush Hospital...

Business5 days ago

Online buyers prefer real-life human help over AI says Currys

Tech buyers in the decade to come will prefer real-life human help to faceless robot retail New look Currys predicts an era...

Popular This Week