Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Simpson makes ‘right deal for County’

Published

on

PEMBROKESHIRE County Council’s Cabinet committed to the funding of the Pembroke Dock Marine Project at its meeting on Monday, November 4.
Council Leader David Simpson received the congratulations of Cabinet members for obtaining substantial concessions on the vexed question of who pays the interest on the borrowing needed for the project.
Cllr Simpson’s position on forking over Pembrokeshire Council Tax Payers’ money to fund borrowing for the project is well-known: he was vehemently opposed to paying penny one of a loan facility in which the Council acted as bankers for a third party.
The deal he has struck means that the County Council will meet one half of the maximum bill for interest, with the Port Authority paying the other half.
In a rare display of public exasperation, Cllr Simpson laid into former leader Jamie Adams over the interest question. At the last Full Council meeting when the Deal came before members, the IPG leader demanded that the Council should pay the full amount of the interest to ensure the Deal went ahead.

David Simpson

Council Leader, David Simpson: Succeeded in cutting Deal’s cost to Pembrokeshire


Cllr Simpson said he found Cllr Adams’ willingness to throw around public money ‘disturbing.’
He pointed out that, had he done as the former leader wanted, the interest cost to the Council would have been a fraction under £4m, as the interest rate charged on the lending required went up the same day as Jamie Adams’ plea, and the burden would have remained unshared.
Instead, Cllr Simpson said, holding firm had produced significant concessions. Firstly, the borrowing had been secured at the original and lower interest rate and secondly, the Port had agreed to pay half of the interest.
The Council Leader observed mordantly the Port Authority were about as happy with the deal struck as he was.
As things stood, the County Council would pay £1m plus a £420k top slice, while the Port Authority would pay £1.3m. David Simpson conceded that this was not the outcome he hoped for; he had not fulfilled his aim, to secure a nil interest cost to the Council. However, Cllr Simpson said he resented the way funding’s structure meant local authorities would be lumbered with significant debt.
On a more upbeat note, Cllr Simpson commended the members of the Cabinet and senior officers who had managed to structure funding for the interest so the Council’s future borrowing cap remained unaffected. This, he said, meant that the Council could achieve its own very ambitious investment objectives for the future.
He explained that Cabinet Member for the Economy, Paul Miller, had negotiated a funding grant which would meet the top slice of £420k, while funding of the £1m remainder had been obtained through other means.
Responding to Cllr Simpson’s comments, Paul Miller set out the importance of energy generation and the associated supply-chain industries to Pembrokeshire’s economy. He pointed out as carbon-based energy generation reduced, developing alternative forms of energy would become increasingly important. Pembrokeshire, he said, was well-placed to exploit the opportunities those represented.
Following Cllr Miller’s comments, Cabinet Member for Finance, Cllr Bob Kilmister, chided the Leader for selling his achievement short. He had delivered the best deal he could and a better deal than that which was initially offered.
He praised the ‘superb’ outcome of negotiations led by the Leader and assisted by other Cabinet members and senior officers. He noted a lot of work had gone into ‘a really terrific job’ hammering out a deal.
Like the Leader, Cllr Kilmister doubted whether 1,800 jobs would be delivered, as claimed. He said, however, that jobs would be created and that would be good for Pembrokeshire. The County, he said, needed a balanced approach and David Simpson had delivered a deal.
He concluded: “I would love to see it run. With our contribution, we help make sure it happens.”
Cllr Phil Baker, Cabinet Member for Infrastructure, observed: “It had to be the right deal at the right price. This is the right deal for the County.”
Director of Resources Jon Haswell explained how funding the interest payments would work. The funding secured by Cllr Miller covered the ‘top-slice’ payment needed. In the meantime, officers identified money held over from the financial year 2018/19 placed in an administrative reserve to meet the rest. That would be used, but only if needed.
Steven Jones, Director of Development, added that time-critical EU funding should now be secured. He noted the timeline remained very tight. Business case approval was needed before Christmas. However, he added, having got over this hurdle, the Council had a way through. The next stage, he advised, requires a WG panel to finally approve the business case.
Jon Haswell added that he hoped to improve the funding arrangements in a meeting with the Welsh Government and an officer from Carmarthenshire County Council on Thursday (Nov 7).
Cllr Simpson returned to address the question of interest payments: he wanted to reduce the amount of interest due for payment. To that end, he was still negotiating a shorter time frame for the funding’s delivery. The current funding is due over fifteen years. Cllr Simpson prefers a five-to-ten year period for delivery. If funding’s delivery was achievable over the shorter period, the amount due from the Council (and the Port Authority) in interest would fall. He re-iterated that the current provision for interest was the maximum and he would continue to work to reduce the bill to the Council.
The Cabinet unanimously approved the deal struck.
Everything is now out of the Council’s hands and depends on the willingness of the UK and Welsh Government to finally get their act together and come up with money often-promised but not yet delivered.

 

News

Rhun ap Iorwerth to chair first meeting of new Welsh Government Cabinet

Published

on

New First Minister says government will focus on waiting lists, jobs, education and child poverty

FIRST MINISTER Rhun ap Iorwerth will chair the first meeting of his new Welsh Government Cabinet today, setting out what he says will be an agenda based on action, openness and results.

The meeting marks the formal start of the new government’s programme, with ministers expected to focus on improving public services, supporting families and growing the Welsh economy.

Ahead of the meeting, Mr ap Iorwerth said his Cabinet would work as “one team” and avoid what he described as unnecessary duplication across government.

The First Minister said: “This is a government of action, a government for all, and a government of new ideas. The hard work has now started.

“Our focus is on the issues that matter most to people in every part of Wales – cutting waiting lists, supporting families with the cost of living, creating good jobs, raising standards in education and tackling child poverty.

“As First Minister, I am determined to end siloed working and unnecessary duplication across government. This Cabinet will work as one team, with ministers focused on delivering together in the interests of the people of Wales.

“We will lead with openness and purpose, building trust through practical action and visible outcomes.

“The people of Wales expect a government that listens, that stands up boldly for Wales, and that works together to get things done. That is exactly what this Cabinet is determined to deliver.”

The first Cabinet meeting will be closely watched as the new administration begins to turn election promises into policy, with pressure already mounting over NHS waiting times, household costs and the state of public services across Wales.

 

Continue Reading

Local Government

Road resurfacing works welcomed after repeated pothole complaints

Published

on

Castle ward councillor thanks residents for patience as long-running issue near St Thomas’ Green finally addressed

ROAD resurfacing works at St Thomas’ Green in Haverfordwest have been welcomed by local county councillor Thomas Tudor, who says a long-standing pothole problem near a bus shelter is finally being resolved.

Cllr Tudor, who represents the Castle Ward, said he was pleased to see progress being made on the improvements, particularly in an area that had required repeated repairs over time.

The works, being carried out by Pembrokeshire County Council and contractors, include resurfacing along part of the road close to the bus shelter near St Thomas’ Green.

Cllr Tudor said the pothole had been reported and repaired on numerous occasions before more permanent resurfacing work was approved.

He said: “As County Councillor for the Castle Ward, which includes St Thomas’ Green, I am pleased to see works progressing very well with the road resurfacing, in particular the area by the bus shelter which had a pothole which I have been reporting and having repaired numerous times.

“Many thanks to Pembrokeshire County Council and the various contractors involved and I would also like to apologise to the residents and thank them for their patience and understanding during these essential works.”

The resurfacing has caused some disruption to local traffic while work is underway, with temporary traffic management measures in place.

Residents have been thanked for their patience as crews complete the improvements, which are aimed at providing a safer and smoother road surface for motorists and pedestrians.

Photo caption:

Improvements underway: Cllr Thomas Tudor pictured at St Thomas’ Green as resurfacing works progress (Pic supplied)

 

Continue Reading

News

Cefn Sidan retains Blue Flag status as one of Wales’ top beaches

Published

on

CEFΝ Sidan has retained its place among the world’s best coastal locations after being awarded Blue Flag status in the Wales Coast Awards 2026.

The Carmarthenshire beach, located within Pembrey Country Park near Burry Port, has now received the prestigious award 38 times — more than any other beach in Wales.

Cefn Sidan was also the first beach in Wales to receive a Blue Flag when the awards were introduced in 1988.

The awards, announced by Keep Wales Tidy, recognise beaches that meet high standards for water quality, safety, facilities, environmental education and site management.

A total of 48 beaches across Wales were recognised this year, with 20 receiving Blue Flag status.

Cefn Sidan is an eight-mile sandy beach backed by dunes and forms part of Pembrey Country Park, one of Carmarthenshire’s major visitor attractions. The park also offers woodland walks, mountain bike trails, a dry ski slope, toboggan ride, crazy golf, train rides and a family campsite.

Owen Derbyshire, Chief Executive of Keep Wales Tidy said: “We are delighted to see Cefn Sidan once again retaining its Blue Flag Award status and continuing to hold the title of the Welsh beach which has received the most Blue Flags.

“As Wales’ very first Blue Flag Award winner, we appreciate the ongoing commitment of everyone at Carmarthenshire County Council and Pembrey Country Park in ensuring Cefn Sidan meets the high standards needed to gain the Blue Flag Award.”

He added: “These awards recognise high and consistent standards and we would like to thank staff, volunteers and everyone else at sites across Wales who work so hard to protect and preserve our natural landscape in the face of increasingly challenging circumstances.

“All of these places are beautiful but seeing that flag flying means visitors can be assured that they are clean, safe and well-managed with excellent facilities too.”

Other Blue Flag beaches in west Wales include Llangrannog in Ceredigion, Saundersfoot, Tenby South and Poppit Sands in Pembrokeshire.

Thirteen Welsh beaches also received Green Coast Awards, including Mwnt and Penbryn in Ceredigion, Freshwater East and Manorbier in Pembrokeshire.

A further 15 beaches gained Seaside Awards, including Aberystwyth South and North.

 

Continue Reading

Health20 hours ago

Occupational therapists urge Welsh Government to act before NHS crisis deepens

More than 300 professionals sign open letter calling for prevention-focused care and urgent reform OCCUPATIONAL therapists across Wales are urging...

Community2 days ago

Surfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach

CAMPAIGNERS took to the sea at Broad Haven today in a colourful protest demanding urgent action over sewage pollution in...

Health2 days ago

New NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire

Health bosses promise better joined-up care — but patients will want assurances over Withybush and travel distances PEMBROKESHIRE patients are...

Local Government3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Council welcomes new chairman

CLLR DELME HARRIES has been elected chairman of Pembrokeshire County Council for the coming municipal year. Cllr Harries, who was...

News3 days ago

From Milford Mercury to County Hall for Pembrokeshire’s first female leader

Late councillor Mike Stoddart helped hold power to account for decades — now his daughter Tessa Hodgson leads the council...

Business3 days ago

Port reports record turnover, but debt, emissions and senior pay also rise

Annual report shows strong growth and major investment, but underlying figures reveal a more complex picture THE PORT OF MILFORD...

Community3 days ago

DARC radar: Campaigners ask Welsh Government to call in planning application

PARC AGAINST DARC has submitted an official request asking the new Welsh Government to call in the planning application for...

News5 days ago

State Opening overshadowed by Starmer leadership crisis

KING CHARLES has arrived at Parliament for the State Opening as Sir Keir Starmer faces the most serious crisis of...

News6 days ago

Rhun ap Iorwerth becomes Wales’ new First Minister

PLAID CYMRU TAKES POWER AFTER HISTORIC SENEDD VOTE PLAID CYMRU leader Rhun ap Iorwerth has become Wales’ new First Minister...

News6 days ago

Hotel was hit during a Luftwaffe bombing raid

THE COMMEMORATION, held on Tuesday (May 12), marked the anniversary of the wartime attack, with members of the community gathering...

Popular This Week