Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Health

Health workforce ‘together as one’ to vaccinate Wales safely as pharmacy pilot begins

Published

on

WALES’ healthcare workforce are coming “together as one” to ensure Wales’ COVID-19 vaccination programme rolls out as quickly as is safe to do, the Health Minister has said.

It comes as the first pharmacies in Wales begin to administer COVID-19 vaccines, with a pilot starting in Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board today [Friday 15].

Vaughan Gething said:

“We are in the early stages of delivering the largest vaccination programme Wales has ever seen and the sheer scale of what has been achieved so far, and continues to happen, should not be underestimated.

“The roll-out of these vaccines to everyone eligible adult in Wales as quickly as if safe to do so is truly an example, once again, of our inspiring healthcare workforce coming together as one.

“A mix of vaccination sites and centres have been selected to ensure everyone across the country has equal access to a vaccination. People can be expected to be asked to attend either a mass or community centre, hospital, GP practice, pharmacy or mobile unit.

“Just because there isn’t a type of service near to you, this does not mean any less is happening.

“Safety is of course at the fore of all that our Health Boards and staff do, but we have also worked to ensure our vaccination locations meet the needs of the characteristics of the vaccines and are as conveniently located as possible for the community it will serve.

“Your local pharmacist may not be offering the jab just yet, but they may very well be working all hands-on-deck at your local mass vaccination centre instead.

“Conversely, mass vaccination centres aren’t suitable for every local authority so you may be asked to attend a community or mobile centre.

“We also want people to feel comfortable to be vaccinated and to do this as conveniently as possible too, especially for those most at risk from the harms of coronavirus. This means using GP practices for a lot of our national delivery and they will be a key focus as the roll-out progresses.

“I cannot stress enough; your local health care workforce are doing absolutely everything they can, and to them I am immensely thankful.

“When it is your turn, you will be notified of where to go. Please do not call your GP or health services to request a COVID-19 vaccine and add undue pressure to their workloads.”

Pharmacy settings are being piloted – similar to how care homes were in the initial stages – to establish the quickest, safest way to deliver vaccinations in these specific settings as they are much different and varied compared to GP surgeries and the bigger vaccination centres.

Fferyllfa Llŷn Cyf in Llanbedrog, which falls under the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board area, is the first in Wales to offer the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine from a pharmacy setting.

Pharmacist Llyr Hughes of Fferyllwyr Llŷn Cyf said:

“We are incredibly proud to be the first pharmacy in Wales to roll out the COVID-19 vaccine and are keen to do all we can to support the Health Board and Welsh Government accelerate the roll out of the programme.

“Our aim is to work together with the Mass Vaccination Centres, GP practices and community pharmacies to deliver the largest vaccination programme the NHS has ever seen.

“Pharmacists play a huge role in vaccinating against flu on a yearly basis and have the skills and expertise to provide the new immunisations.

“I’m looking forward to seeing pharmacies across Wales play a big part in helping to protect our communities as the programme expands.”

Continue Reading

Health

Urgent second dose vaccine appointments issued for mass vaccination centres

Published

on

SECOND dose Oxford AstraZeneca appointments for mass vaccination centres across Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire have been urgently issued for week beginning 24 May, Hywel Dda University Health Board has confirmed. 

The health board has identified a technical issue that has caused a delay in appointment letters being issued to people who received their first Oxford AstraZeneca at a mass vaccination centre between Monday 8th March and Sunday 14 March.  

This issue has now been rectified and the health board has urgently posted appointment letters to everyone affected. SMS (text messages) have also been sent to those the health board has mobile numbers for.

 

The technical issue has also resulted in some people who had a first vaccine at a GP practice receiving an appointment inviting them to attend a mass vaccination centre. If you received your first vaccine at a GP practice you must attend your GP practice for your second dose to ensure the correct vaccine is available for you.  

If you have received an invite to attend a mass vaccination centre in error, there is no need to contact the health board as these appointments have automatically been cancelled. Please disregard the mass vaccination centre invite and keep your appointment with your GP or wait for them to contact you with your appointment time if you have not already received one.

Bethan Lewis, Interim Assistant Director of Public Health at Hywel Dda UHB, said: “As soon as we identified there had been a delay with second vaccine appointments being issued to people who had their first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine at a mass vaccination centre between Monday 8th March and Sunday 14 March we immediately reissued all letters and sent SMS text messages wherever possible. 

“These appointments are due to start Monday 24 May so it is possible some people may receive their appointment letter late and we apologise for this but please don’t worry if this happens to you.   “If you receive your letter and the appointment has past, please contact our booking team on 0300 303 8322 so we can book you a new appointment. We will make sure you have your second appointment on schedule. Please wait to receive your letter before phoning us. We thank you for your understanding and patience.” 

Continue Reading

Health

Withybush woes as new consultation launched

Published

on

• Health Board says coronavirus has had a major impact on services • New hospital could be built between St Clears and Narberth
• It’s a similar plan which led to protests involving thousands of locals in 2018

MORE than 18,000 people have signed the petition opposing the decision to downgrade Withybush General Hospital, but that was three years ago, and it seems that the health board may have forgotten the locals’ anger.

The health board is launching a consultation exercise to “deliver on our long-term commitment for a healthier mid and west Wales”

Steve Moore, Chief Executive of Hywel Dda UHB, said: “The global pandemic has had a major impact on all areas of our lives so it’s crucial that the health board considers, reflects and learns from this extraordinary period. This engagement exercise will allow the public to tell us in their own words how COVID-19 has affected their health and care, and access to it.

“I would encourage as many people as possible to participate.” 

Under similar proposals to those first unveiled in 2018 a new district general hospital would be built on the border between Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire providing A&E services, while in some of the options Carmarthen’s Glangwili hospital would also lose services, including A&E.

The people of Pembrokeshire protested. They protested outside the hospital, they marched through Town, they took their placards to the Senedd.

There was no one, it seemed, who wanted a new super hospital ‘up the line’.

Save Withybush Hospital protests back in 2018 in Haverfordwest

Ten months ago, the First Minister and Health Minister of Wales were united in their decision not to offer any reassurances to the safeguarding of A&E services at Withybush Hospital.

With the July 2020 u-turn of Cwm Taff health board not to remove services at Royal Glamorgan Hospital, the ministers have come under pressure to offer reassurances to the future of Withybush services.

Mark Drakeford said last summer that the decision was down to local health boards, with Vaughan Gething, Health Minister taking a similar stance.

Withybush has already seen the downgrade to its maternity services, with it now being a mostly daytime service with expectant mums with pregnancy complications or those giving birth after 5pm mostly having to travel across the border into Carmarthenshire to give birth. Other departments have also been shrunk on what locals call “a salami slicing away of local services”

Speaking at a Plenary last year Vaughan Gething, was asked by Pembrokeshire MS Paul Davies, the Welsh Government’s position on the delivery of A&E services at Pembrokeshire and if they would remain at Withybush.

Mr Davies said: “You’ll be aware, there is a strong campaign to retain A&E services at Withybush General Hospital.

“Given the recent news that Cwm Taff health board has decided to retain A&E services at The Royal Glamorgan Hospital, the people of Pembrokeshire are now looking at that decision and, quite rightly, asking for the same safeguards.”

The Health Minister said that the decision to overturn the removal of services at Royal Glamorgan Hospital, was made after they were able to recruit more staff which would help them safely deliver that service. Recruitment problems have often been cited as a key problem at Withybush Hospital in recent years.

Mr Gething said, “The member will also know, over a long period of time, the challenges that have been faced in delivering healthcare across Wales and the plans for the future delivery of healthcare.”

He added “The health board is now planning for the continued provision of essential and key services alongside caring for patients affected by Covid-19.”

However, although the Welsh Government is desperately trying to distance itself from its unpopular decisions on local health provision, the buck stops with it.

In November 2018 hundreds of people took to the streets to oppose the downgrading of Withybush. But now it is clear that the plan of a new hospital further away from Pembrokeshire’s population centres and industrial complexes is still on the cards.

Surprisingly, the exact cost of the new hospital, and its exact location, is yet to be determined but the health board is hoping to finalise a ‘programme business case’ in the coming weeks which will then be submitted to the Welsh Government this summer.

A full business case can be signed off by March 2024, The Pembrokeshire Herald understands.

Protestors outside Withybush at the 2018 protests

The health board has said the plan to reshape the way people receive medical treatment in west Wales is part of the “ongoing process” that is now under way with an engagement exercise running until June 21.

According to a new eight-page document published by Hywel Dda entitled ‘Building a Healthier Future After Covid-19’ the pandemic has been a “big challenge” which created an “extremely difficult” period.

The document, seen by The Pembrokeshire Herald, states: “We are progressing plans for a new hospital in the south of the area, somewhere between and including the towns of St Clears, Carmarthenshire, and Narberth, Pembrokeshire. At this early stage, we would welcome site nominations you may have and your views on how we compare possible sites.”

The health board is inviting people’s opinions on a post-Covid future in general and how healthcare is provided across the region today and in the future – pointing out that health and wellbeing centres have been opened in Aberaeron and Cardigan while plans are in the pipeline for similar facilities in Llanelli and Cross Hands.

While many aspects remain uncertain at this stage one thing that has been decided is that the new hospital is to be built between St Clears and Narberth because “this location is the most central to most of the population in the south of the Hywel Dda area”. The site will also have at least 35 acres of “developable land” with “appropriate transport infrastructure”.

A spokesman for the health board said: “The new hospital will be our main site for the network of all our hospitals, providing both urgent and planned care. It will enable us to have more consultants in permanent posts being available more of the time and specialising in areas of care. Consultant-led services will be available 24-hours a day seven days a week.

“We will provide rapid access to specialist assessment and treatment, discharging people as soon as possible so they can receive rehabilitation closer to home. Emergency and unplanned care will be provided in a different building to planned care therefore avoiding the disruption or delay that can occur from high volumes of emergency cases.”

The public is also being asked to nominate sites for a new hospital based on four criteria: (1) The nominated site must be within the zone between and including St Clears in Carmarthenshire and Narberth in Pembrokeshire. This location is the most central to most of the population in the south of the Hywel Dda area. (2) The nominated site should be a minimum of 35 acres of reasonably developable land. (3) The nominated site should have realistic prospects of obtaining planning permission for a new hospital. (4) There should be appropriate transport infrastructure for a major hospital site.

The health board said: “Anyone can have their say on the plans by emailing the health board at hyweldda.engagement@wales.nhs.uk or by calling 01554 899056.”

Continue Reading

Health

Update on local vaccinations for residents aged 18 to 39

Published

on

ALL adults aged 18 to 39 living in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire will be offered Moderna or Pfizer BioNtech for their first COVID-19 vaccine, Hywel Dda University Health Board can confirm.

Today’s announcement states, as a precaution, unvaccinated adults aged 30 – 39 years who are not in a clinical priority group at higher risk of severe COVID-19 disease, will be offered an alternative to the Oxford AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, where possible.  This is already the case with adults under 30 years.

Fewer than 200 people under 39 are booked to receive a first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine at the Picton Centre on Saturday 8 May. The health board is making every effort to contact everyone affected to offer a new appointment at a session offering the Moderna or Pfizer BioNtech vaccine.

All mass vaccination centres in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and Pembrokeshire will provide the  Moderna, Pfizer BioNtech and Oxford AstraZeneca vaccines. Please attend your appointment as planned as your clinic will have the appropriate vaccine for your age.

Ros Jervis, Director of Public Health for Hywel Dda UHB, said: “We understand that today’s announcement may cause some concern. The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine is a safe and effective vaccine, cases of blood clots with low platelet counts continues to be extremely rare and is thought to be a reaction to first exposure.  The decision to stop using the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine in those under 40 who have no clinical risk factors reflects the excellent progress we are making in bringing the pandemic under control and the increased supply of the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine. 

“If you have received a first dose of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine without suffering any serious side effects, it is recommended that you should complete the course and receive the second vaccine when invited, irrespective of age, in line with JVCI advice.”

The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine has already saved thousands of lives and remains safe and effective for the majority of the population with over 1 million people have received the AZ vaccine since January.

Continue Reading
News18 hours ago

Lifeboats and chopper in major air sea rescue off the coast of Tenby

TWO RNLI lifeboats from both Tenby and Angle stations have been launched to assist a coastguard helicopter which has been...

News2 days ago

Organisers urged to read guidance on holding Covid-aware events

ORGANISERS planning to hold events in Pembrokeshire are being urged to read guidance published by the Welsh Government. The Welsh...

News2 days ago

Four men arrested as armed police swoop on Hubberston address

ARMED police and specialist dog handlers swooped on an address in Hubberston, Milford Haven on Wednesday night (Jun 16). The...

News3 days ago

Heatherton expansion approved

• Committee overturns officers’ objections • Economic benefits outweigh other impacts • Conditions must not delay development THE COUNCIL’s Planning...

News3 days ago

Milford Haven: Christmas cosmetics thief caged

A MIDLANDS shop lifter caught stealing £2200 worth of cosmetics and skin care products from Boots in Milford Haven just...

News4 days ago

Major blaze destroys well known Tenby chip shop

EMERGENCY services have sealed off part of Tenby following a major fire at a chip shop. Fire fighters rushed to...

News4 days ago

Tributes from family for ‘beautiful’ Ella Smith following fatal road accident

POLICE investigating Sunday’s fatal road traffic accident have confirmed that the person who sadly died has been formally identified as...

News5 days ago

Public urged to have say on second homes and empty properties policies

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has begun a consultation exercise on the authority’s policies relating to second homes and long term empty...

News5 days ago

Tributes to victim as police confirm fatal workshop fire in Sageston

POLICE have confirmed that a workshop fire in Sageston over the weekend was sadly fatal and is now being investigated...

News5 days ago

One dead and three seriously injured in road traffic accident on B4341

DYFED-POWYS POLICE has confirmed it is investigating a fatal road traffic collision which occurred on the B4341 between Haverfordwest and...

Popular This Week