Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Sport

Clubs react as Pembrokeshire football league season cancelled

Published

on

THERE will be no football in Pembrokeshire until at least August after the 2020/21 season was cancelled on Wednesday night (Jan 20).

The Pembrokeshire Football League said it had taken into account the current Covid-19 situation and replies from clubs in making their decision.

Clubs had played a small number of friendlies towards the end of 2020 with the hope of getting back into the league action.

However, as the coronavirus situation worsened, the majority of clubs took it upon themselves to suspend football activity.

A spokesperson for the Pembrokeshire Football League said: “It was resolved that there will be no competitive football this season in Pembrokeshire at Senior or Junior level. There will also be no organised mini football fixtures for this season.

“Should clubs wish, when the restrictions are lifted and subject to Covid regulations want to play friendlies then they are free to do so subject to the authorisation of the League (as previously).”

Neyland’s Sean Hannon said: “The announcement doesn’t come as a surprise. The most important thing is everyone’s safety and wellbeing. We haven’t had a chance to discuss any possible return to friendlies if restrictions allow but I’m sure we will leave it until at least August by which time we will have a further update from the FAW.

“It goes without saying the FAW will need to update all area associations and clubs on what will happen to player comet registration fees which they asked all clubs to pay for at the start of September 2020.”

A spokesperson for Saundersfoot AFC said: “We all knew it was coming inevitably and you’d be hard pressed to argue against it. As a club the safety of our players/ coaches and their families is paramount it’s just not worth the risk.

“You saw before Christmas the clubs took it between themselves to stop playing before any order from above came through so that shows how serious the clubs are taking it.”

Owen Duggan, Chairman of Fishguard Sport AFC said: “The decision was inevitable and we would commend the Pembrokeshire league for an early conclusion to this, every football club will be working hard behind the scenes to try and retain enough finance to continue.

“We all hope that in the coming months things will improve and we will hopefully commence season in August. We hope all our members and other clubs stay safe and fit and well which is the priority.”

Hakin United, who were crowned champions of the curtailed 2019/20 season, said they fully supported the decision to cancel the league season and recommended that football shouldn’t start back until it’s safe to do so.

Sport

Joyce set for second Olympic Games

Published

on

JASMINE Joyce has been selected to go to her second Olympic Games, representing Team GB at rugby sevens.

She is one of three female players who finished fourth in Rio – Natasha Hunt and Abbie Brown were also part of the squad five years ago. Brown will co-captain the side along with former Glantaf pupil, England international Megan Jones.

WRU CEO Steve Phillips said, “Huge congratulations to Jasmine Joyce who will fly the flag for Welsh Rugby in Tokyo next month. It’s a huge achievement to be an Olympian once, let alone twice and Jasmine will no doubt do her family, friends and Welsh rugby proud on the world stage once again. She has our full support and we will be watching the Tokyo Stadium action very closely.”

For Jasmine, from St David’s in Pembrokeshire, it’s the culmination of five years of hard work.

“After the amazing experience of competing in Rio, returning to another games has been front and centre of everything I’ve done for the past five years and being named in the squad makes it all worthwhile. The Olympic Games is the ultimate achievement for any sportsperson and that dream became so much more achievable for me when rugby sevens became a Olympic sport.”

At 20, Jasmine was one of the youngest players in the Team GB squad in 2016 and hadn’t been capped for Wales at 15-a-side. Five years on and with 19 senior Wales caps, she is looking to draw on her experience to help the side to come back with some silverware.

“I was the new girl in Rio with little pressure on my shoulders. I’ve definitely got a different mindset this time around. People know my game more and there is more pressure on me to perform but I’m happy with that. We were disappointed not to medal last time around and are definitely going for gold next month.”

Jasmine paid tribute to fellow Wales international and GB Sevens training squad member Hannah Jones who missed out on selection.

“Hannah is my best friend so it was great to train together in GB camp. She has put so much hard work into everything she has done in recent years too, as have all the players in the training squad and the fact she’s missed out shows the level of competition throughout the squad is insane.

“I’ve had so much support from my family, friends and coaches throughout my career. The fact that they won’t be able to travel to Japan is disappointing but I know that we will feel everyone’s support via social media over the next few weeks and that makes a huge difference.”

The women’s rugby sevens tournament takes place from July 29-31.

Team GB women’s squad:

Holly Aitchison

Abbie Brown

Abi Burton

Deborah Fleming

Natasha Hunt

Megan Jones

Jazmine Joyce

Alex Matthews

Helena Rowland

Hannah Smith

Celia Quansah

Emma Uren

Women’s reserve: Lisa Thomson

Continue Reading

Sport

Junior Cricket leagues round up

Published

on

THE Pembroke County Cricket Junior Leagues continued recently with some more excellent displays.

There were wins for Saundersfoot, Stackpole and Hundleton and St Ishmaels in the Under 11s leagues.

In the Under 13s league there were wins for Kilgetty, Llechryd and Hook.

Take a look below at all the best performances from the games.

Under 11’s

Saundersfoot 322 beat Lamphey 215

Saundersfoot:

Oli Cook 26 + 2-8

Olly Badham 20 + 2-1

Dan Broomhall 4-5, all 4 wkts in 1 over

Taylor Lewis 3-9

Saundersfoot

Lamphey:

Elliot 10 + 1-9

Iorri 11

Zed 11

Morgan 9

Pembroke 239-5 lost to Stackpole/Hundleton 280-4

Stackpole/Hundleton

2 wickets each for Summer Russant and Louis Dodson and 1 for Ossian Ridgeway

Summer Russant – 12

Ollie Frearson – 10

Louis Dodson – 9

Sam Adams – 7

Cresselly 219-10 lost to St Ishmaels 264-6

 St Ishmaels:

Dillion Lewis 15

Morgan Brittain 15 & 3-4

Rossi Ninnis 10

Caydyn Mcguire  2-7

Cresselly:

Griff Jenkins 16

Dylan Taylor 14

Ieuan Prout 8

Corrin Thornton 2-17

Under 13’s

Laugharne 55 all out lost to Kilgetty 61-2

Laugharne:

Issac Joliffe 7

Liam Morley-Trivett 6

Alfie Blewitt 5

Sam Lynch 1-5

Ellis Harvey 1-8

Kilgetty:

Lewis Rossiter 21

Logan Hall 21

Olly Badham 3-15

Kiaran Sine 2-6

James Keating 2-10

George Morgan 2-10

Llechryd 124-3 beat Neyland 122-7

Llechryd:

Evan Wyn Jones 29

M Williams 26

Y Harries 21

Evan Lewis 15

Ellis Gill 2 wickets

Neyland:

Korey Arran 25

Leo Power 25

Corey Riley 13 & 2 -6

Mason Kerrison 10

Hook 111-3 beat Haverfordwest 80-4

Hook:

Rhys Phelps 26* (retired)

William Harries 20 not out

Callum Nutty 16

Jamie Gray 1-3

Haverfordwest:

Sidak 25* (retired)

Finley 16 not out and 2-16

Continue Reading

Sport

Carew too strong for Kilgetty in Harrison Allen quarter final

Published

on

CAREW booked their place in the semi-finals of the Harrison Allen Bowl on Tuesday night (Jun 22) as they beat Kilgetty.

For Carew it will mean a first appearance in the semi-finals since 2012 (when they went on to reach the final).

Carew batted first against Kilgetty and they made an impressive total of 236-3 from their 22 overs.

Nick Davies scored 55 and Lewis Hicks made 65 as the visitors began well.

There were two wickets for Matthew Lewis (2-63) but he was expensive, while the only other wicket to fall went to Levi Hughes (1-42).

Tim Hicks finished unbeaten on 38 for Carew and Rhys Davies was not out on 40 as Kilgetty were set a target of 237 to win the game.

Richard Cope scored 39 for Kilgetty in their reply but he was his side’s top scorer.

Jordan Gorman added 24 and Tom Lewis scored 20 while there were scores of 10 from Max James and Sam Rossiter.

Shaun Whitfield did the damage for Carew with figures of 4-38.

Sam Harts (3-28) also claimed three wickets while Iori Hicks took two for 38.

There was also a wicket for Rhys Davies as Carew bowled Kilgetty out for 137 to seal victory by 99 runs.

It will mean a first semi-final for nine years and they will be keen to make sure that run won’t be repeated.

Continue Reading
News9 hours ago

Pembroke Dock: Two in hospital following Fort Road car accident

EMERGENCY SERVICES dealt with what has been described by a witness as a “horrific car accident” in the Pembroke Dock...

News1 day ago

Two years jail for violent attack at Withybush Industrial Estate

A MAN who sent threatening messages and photos of knives before launching a violent attack has been jailed for over...

News1 day ago

Three kayakers assisted by St Davids inshore lifeboat crew

WHILST on exercise, Tuesday (June 22), St Davids In-shore Lifeboat was tasked by the coastguard at 3:15pm to assist three...

Business2 days ago

Green hydrogen electrolyser and car refueler arrive at Milford Waterfront

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL says it is leading the way in renewable energy with a collaborative £4.5 million project exploring the vital...

News2 days ago

Council’s building maintenance teams to resume non-emergency responsive repairs

THE HOUSING Building Maintenance teams within Pembrokeshire County Council are now able to re-commence non-emergency responsive repairs to customers’ homes...

News3 days ago

NHS Wales announce first and second dose vaccination walk-in clinics

HYWEL DDA UHB is running walk-in vaccination clinics this week. There is no need to contact the health board to...

News3 days ago

Residents urged to be alert to Covid-19 symptoms following cluster of cases

PUBLIC HEALTH WALES, Pembrokeshire County Council and Hywel Dda University Health Board are urging members of the public to be...

News3 days ago

Paul Davies submits views to Health Board Consultation

Senedd Member Paul Davies has fed his views into Hywel Dda University Health Board’s consultation, “Building a Healthier Future after...

News4 days ago

Reminder from Pembrokeshire Coast National Park to pre-book for attractions

MEMBERS of the public are being reminded to pre-book their entry tickets before visiting two popular National Park Authority-run attractions....

News4 days ago

Haverfordwest and Cardigan high streets listed as among the ten worst in Britain

TWO west Wales high streets have been listed in a UK wide report detailing Britain’s worst high streets. In the...

Popular This Week