Connect with us


Saints stun Felinfoel in extra time



ST CLEARS booked their place in the third round of the West Wales Cup on Saturday (Nov 6) as they beat Felinfoel 3-2 after extra time.

Felinfoel had not lost in any league or cup game prior to Saturday’s match but Nathan Evans’ goal gave the Saints an excellent win in tricky conditions.

Rain battered the pitch for much of the game but it did not dampen the spirits of the Felinfoel supporters who had come to support their team.

It was the Saints though who had the first real chance of the game as Nico Setaro sent Ashley Williams through on goal but his effort was well saved by Felinfoel keeper Anthony Andrews.

Sadly for Williams he was forced off moments later with an injury and was replaced by Steve Thomas.

Felinfoel then had a great chance to score as Chris James looped the ball over the defenders for Jordan Badman but his shot was beaten away by Saints keeper Jason Jones.

Nathan Evans and Ben John then linked up well down the right and they set up Jon Seeley but he saw his shot saved.

Goal: Chris James’ free kick flies into the net

With 26 minutes gone the visitors were awarded a free kick and James curled the ball superbly into the top corner of the net.

The Saints responded well to going behind as they won a corner. Evans sent the corner into the box and Nick Squire headed down towards goal but after his header was blocked the ball fell to Danny Peters who tried to turn the ball in. There were shouts for a penalty but the referee waved away the appeals.

David Owens then saw a shot saved for the visitors before James saw a header go wide.

At the other end John’s cross found Steve Evans but he couldn’t get the ball out of his feet and the ball was pushed out for a corner.

Nathan Evans took the resulting corner and Kyran Lewis ran in at the front post to smash a header home to level the game.

It was a deserved equaliser and they nearly took the lead just a minute into the second half but John’s long range effort was tipped over the bar.

Just four minutes later though Felinfoel were back in front. The Saints attempted to pass the ball out from the back but when Martin Thomas missed the ball, Tom Roberts took the ball and fired it into the bottom corner of the net.

Twenty minutes into the second half the Saints were level once more. Will Evans, who had only come on as a sub just a minute earlier, ran down the right and cut in from the byline and his cross hit the Felinfoel keeper and bounced just over the line before it was kicked away.

The Saints were now on top and they came close to scoring from a corner soon after. A shot was blocked wide for another corner but Saints players were convinced the ball had hit a hand. Their vehement protests were waved away by the referee.

There was another chance for Nathan Evans as a free kick was played short but his shot was blocked before being tipped over by the Felinfoel keeper.

Will Evans then cut inside from the right and curled the ball towards goal but he watched agonisingly as his effort went inches wide of the angle of crossbar and post.

He had another chance to win two minutes before the end when the ball fell to him at the back post but he shot into the side netting.

That was the last of the action in the 90 minutes and it meant extra time would be needed to separate the sides.

The home side had another penalty appeal waved away early on in the first period of extra time but neither were able to find a goal.

In the second period of extra time, Steven Evans played in Nathan Evans whose shot from the edge of the box went in off the post.

Felinfoel looked for a late goal which would have taken the game to penalties but James saw a free kick go over the bar.

Nicky Morgan then won a free kick for the away side wide on the left, despite Jason Baxter appearing to get the ball, but they were unable to find the net.

Craig Lewis saw a shot go wide for Felinfoel who then sent up keeper Andrews for the resulting corner.

However, they were unable to score as the Saints held on for an excellent win.

Will Evans looks on as his shot goes just over


Milford hit five again to see off Swifts



MILFORD United scored five goals for the third game running as they beat Monkton Swifts seconds 5-1 in Division 2 at Marble Hall on Saturday (Jan 22).

Milford went into the game full of confidence after two good home performances which resulted in two wins and 10 goals scored.

Monkton would have also come into the game with high expectations, having won the reverse fixture 5-3.

It was Milford who started the liveliest, causing lots of problems for the Monkton back four. It didn’t take Milford too long for their pace, power and high pressing to be rewarded with the opening goal on 6 minutes.

The ball was won by United in midfield and Lewys Tee picked up the ball in space. A great run by Liam Parr was picked out, who controlled the ball and outpaced the defence. Finishing it superbly from 18 yards into the top corner.

The Monkton team struggled all game to deal with United’s pace and movement and by the end of 90 minutes they had picked up 4 bookings trying to contain United’s attack.

Jordan Boswell in goal for Monkton was a busy man and had to pull off a number of good saves throughout the game.

It didn’t take United too long to get their second, which gave them a strong grip on the game. A good ball down the flank, which Liam Parks nodded down, then out muscled a couple of Monkton defenders, before crossing from the by-line for Ben Lewis. But he was quickly closed down and his shot was blocked, when a goal looked certain. But Tee was on hand to pick up the rebound, to knock the ball over the line, despite the best efforts of the Monkton defence.

This wasn’t United in top gear, but they did go in at half time with a comfortable lead. Monkton made a substitution during the break and came out the second half with much more resolve.

There was now a definite ebb and flow to the game, with Monkton now using the most of their 4-3-3 formation. But United spurned a couple of great chances to put the game out of sight with a third.

It was Monkton, who got the next goal, to really open up the game. A Monkton cross came in from the left and could only be half cleared by United’s defence. Which landed invitingly for Monkton’s Jay Kilby, who volleyed it perfectly passed Ferdy Stevenson.

At this stage, the game could have gone either way, despite United’s overall dominance. United’s manager Steve Parks, was fortunate to have the benefit of a strong bench and used them in a change of system in a 3 man substitution. It had an immediate effect and United once again gained control.

A dangerous run by Liam Parks had to be halted illegally and from the resulting free kick, Morgan Picton hit a peach of a shot into the top right corner from 30 yards. Only to be thwarted by a superb save from Boswell.

But the pressure was mounting and the chances becoming more frequent. Liam Parks got the all important 3rd goal after a good interplay with Liam Davies, which left Parks in space who calmly chipped the ball over the on rushing keeper.

With the game now running away from Monkton, it was a good break down the right from Parks, who in turn set up Davies to score from 10 yards. Even before United’s fifth goal had hit the net, it’s scorer Jake Barrett was already smiling. A good ball from Davies was sweetly met by Barrett, 20 yards out, who knew it was destined to beat the keeper.

It wasn’t United at their best, but 3 home wins on the bounce and 15 goals suggest a cause for optimism at Marble Hall.

On Saturday, January 29, Milford United, who now sit sixth in Division 2, travel to Broad Haven while Monkton Swifts seconds host Milford Athletic.

Continue Reading


Goodwick and Bridge ends in goalless draw



GOODWICK United and Merlins Bridge fought out a goalless draw in a highly contested game at Phoenix Park last Saturday (Jan 22).

The two sides had met earlier in the season at the Racecourse with Goodwick winning that game 7-0.

It was a much closer game this time around though but neither side was able to do enough to pick up the three points.

Chances were few and far between, but one of the best chances of the afternoon fell to Merlins Bridge midfielder Lee Hudgell, whose effort hit the underside of the crossbar with many in attendance feeling that the ball had bounced over the line. It wasn’t given and both teams had to settle for a point each.

On Saturday, January 29, Goodwick travel to Carew while Merlins Bridge travel to Narberth.

Goodwick United: Kyle Marsh, Stefan Hayes, Sion O’Sullivan, Jordan Thomas, Scott Delaney, Luke Hayward, Rhys Dalling, Kieran O’Brien, Nathan Greene, Jordan Griffiths, Steven Dockerty. Subs: Llyr Tobin, Rob Morgans, Daniel James.

Merlins Bridge: James Dickson, Chris Ormond, Andrew John, Richard Hughes, Henry Thomas, Dai Davies, Jordan Williams, Lee Hudgell, Matthew D’Ivry, Adam Hawkins, Will Haworth. Subs: Leon Davies, Josh Silk, Ben Davies.

Continue Reading


Pembrokeshire Junior Netball league results



THE results from the latest round of the Pembrokeshire Junior Netball League, played on Saturday (Jan 22) can be seen below.

In the Under 12s division, Fishguard B and Fishguard A both picked up wins as did Pembroke firsts.

Pembroke were also winners in the under 14s league while Chaos Purple were victorious in the under 16s league.

The results and players’ player from each game are as follows:

Under 12’s:

Sapphires White 12 v 15 Fishguard B
Players player:
Sapphires: Seren Davies
Fishguard: Megan Nicholas

Pembroke (2) 0 v 24 Fishguard A
Players player:
Pembroke: Mollie Smith
Fishguard: Anna Waldon-Smith

Pembroke (1) 19 v 0 Chaos Lightning
Players player:
Pembroke: Freya Cook
Chaos: Lily Jo Thomas

Under 14’s:

Sapphires White 0 v 22 Pembroke
Players player:
Sapphires: Kate Joseph
Pembroke: Ava Midgley

Under 16’s:

Chaos Purple 25 v 16 St David’s
Players player:
Chaos: Katie David
St David’s: Robyn Lewis

Fishguard B Under 12s
Sapphires White Under 12s
Continue Reading

News1 day ago

Wales completes move to alert level 0

THE MOVE completes the Welsh Government’s phased lifting of the alert level 2 protections, which were put in place on...

News2 days ago

‘Handyman’ took money from elderly victims but failed to do any work

A ‘HANDYMAN’ who took money from two elderly couples but never turned up to do any work has admitted a...

News2 days ago

Judge set to sentence Neyland man following horrific Castle Square attack

A 20-YEAR-OLD Neyland man has been sent to Swansea Crown Court for sentence after pleading guilty to a charge of...

News3 days ago

County Hall tribute for Holocaust Memorial Day

COUNTY HALL in Haverfordwest will be lit in purple on Thursday 27th January for Holocaust Memorial Day. Holocaust Memorial Day...

News3 days ago

Self-isolation period cut to five days in Wales

PEOPLE who test positive for Covid-19 will be able to leave self-isolation after five full days if they have two...

News4 days ago

Denial of Wales-specific Covid inquiry ‘no longer tenable’ say Welsh Conservatives

THE WELSH CONSERVATIVES have reiterated their call for an inquiry that focuses exclusively on the actions of the Welsh Government...

News5 days ago

Appeal following road traffic collision on Salutation Square, Haverfordwest

POLICE in Haverfordwest attended a road traffic collision which occurred at approximately 2.45pm today, Monday 24th January 2022, on Salutation...

News5 days ago

Pembroke Dock child rapist Stephen Bladen died whilst serving prison sentence

A PEMBROKE DOCK paedophile, jailed for 21 years for child rape and sexual assault, died last year whilst serving his...

Community5 days ago

Residents wanted to aid Newgale coastal adaptation project

PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL is looking for people to get involved in the Newgale Coastal Adaptation scheme through a number of...

Entertainment5 days ago

BBC Wales Investigates: Death of Two Black Men: Police in the Spotlight

TONIGHT 24/1/22, 7.30pm, BBC One Wales THE FAMILIES of two men who died within weeks of each other after incidents...

Popular This Week