Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Crime

Two arrested following theft of storage container from Thornton compound

Published

on

Dyfed-Powys Police have said they are investigating an allegation of the theft of a 10ft green storage container belonging to a plant hire business.

The container, containing a number of items of plant, was stolen from a field/compound near Thornton, Milford Haven sometime on Saturday, January 1, 2022.

Police said: “Two males have been arrested on suspicion of theft. They have been released under investigation pending further police enquiries.

“Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing 101@dyfed-powys.pnn.police.uk, or by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908. Quote reference: DP-20220102-111

“Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.”

Crime

Man arrested after burglary on Mount Estate

Published

on

(Credit - The Herald)

A 46-YEAR old man has been arrested on suspicion of burglary after an incident occurred at a property in Woodland Drive, Milford Haven. 

The man, from Larch Road, is currently in police custody as detectives carry out their investigation. 

There was a large police presence on the Mount Estate, Milford Haven on Tuesday (Aug 16) with at least two vans and a car on the scene.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: “Police are investigating a burglary which occurred at a property in Woodland Drive, Milford Haven at about 5.10am this morning, 16th of August 2022.

“Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report by calling 101. If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.

“Quote reference: DP-20220816-061.

“Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Lewis Haines’ sentencing for murder of Lily Sullivan adjourned

Published

on

LEWIS HAINES, 31, appeared in Swansea Crown Court for sentencing this afternoon (July 7).

However, the court was adjourned after new evidence was presented that there was a sexual element to the murder.

Lily’s body was found in the Mill Pond in Pembroke on December 17, 2021.

Haines, of Flemish Court, Lamphey, was scheduled to stand trial for Ms Sullivan’s murder on June 20. However, on June 13, at a hearing in Swansea Crown Court, he changed his plea to guilty.

Today, Judge Paul Thomas QC confirmed to the court that the Crown Prosecution requested a minimum sentence of 30 years, while the defence requested a minimum sentence of 15 years.

“This represents a vast difference,” commented Judge P H Thomas.

The Crown claimed that when Miss Sullivan’s body was discovered, her state of ‘undress’ indicated that a sexual element had been involved prior to her murder.

Haines’ barrister, John Hipkin QC, requested a brief adjournment to discuss the issue with his client, which was granted by Judge Thomas.

“It is regrettable that this case will have to be put back until later this month,” said defence barrister, John Hipkin QC.

“Material that we need we have not yet got from the Crown which would help us in terms of the advice that we tend to Mr Haines.”

Today’s new evidence presented by the Crown in relation to Lewis Haines’ proposed sentencing has been described as a “substantial issue” by defence barrister John Hipkin.

“It’s a substantial issue and is one that requires proper consideration and instruction to be determined,” he added.

” What we envisage doing is speaking to the defendant in custody armed with further information from the Prosecution and then what form we envisage the case proceeding to sentence.”

Judge Paul Thomas QC stated that an adjournment is required before he can make a decision on Haines’ sentence.

He said: “It’s very important that this matter is dealt with as soon as possible but it’s equally important that I get the sentence right.”

Members of Lily Sullivan’s family were in court, awaiting the sentencing.

Judge Paul Thomas QC apologised to them for the unprecedented turn of events that occurred today.

“I’m terribly sorry that we can’t deal with this today,

“It must be terribly frustrating for all of you, having psyched yourselves up, simply to find that we can’t go to sentence today. I am sorry.

“But the most important thing here is to make the sentence right. So with my real apologies, we’ll try to find a date that’s acceptable.”

The case against Lewis Haines has been postponed until July 28, with the substantive hearing scheduled for July 22 and possibly part of July 23.

Lily was tragically murdered on December 17 after a night out in ‘Out’ Nightclub, which is located on Main Street, Pembroke.

CCTV footage shows Ms Sullivan speaking to Haines in the nightclub before leaving separately. Additional footage also shows the two of them speaking once again outside of the club.

The pair were seen walking down an alleyway headed towards Mill Pond where Lily’s body was later discovered.

Another image captured by CCTV showed Haines running along a bridge close to Pembroke Castle.

At a previous inquest hearing, Coroner’s officer, Lisa Jenkins, stated that police were called to the Mill Pond at 4:12am following reports that a female body had been seen in the water.

Despite resuscitation attempts Lily was pronounced dead at 6.02am. It was later revealed that she had been strangled to death.

Following her death, Miss Sullivan’s family released a statement. It said: “Lily was a kind and caring daughter,

“She will be deeply missed by everyone. The family are very thankful to all of Lily’s friends for their support.”

Father of two, Haines, was a well-known cricket player who was wicket keeper for his local team – Lamphey.

He had been described as “a hard-hitting batsman” who “liked to party and celebrate the wins.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Narberth man, 63, arrested over alleged sexual communication with a child

Published

on

A NARBERTH man has been arrested after a sting operation by paedophile hunters The Dank Dragons this week.
Robert Daye, 63, was taken into custody on Monday (Jul 4) following an allegation that he had been in sexual communication with decoys from the organisation – one allegedly aged 13
As court proceedings are active we can not provide the further details at this stage.
The police said in a statement: “Robert Daye has been charged with four counts of engaging in sexual communication with a child and has appeared at Llanelli Magistrates Court.”
We are currently awaiting the court results for the initial hearing.

Continue Reading

Business13 hours ago

Bug Farm explains rush to keep people and animals safe as raging wildfire approached

A PEMBROKESHIRE business has taken to the internet to thank everyone who has supported them throughout the recent grass fires....

News20 hours ago

South West Wales enters a state of Drought as dry weather continues

FOLLOWING the extended period of dry weather, Natural Resources Wales (NRW) has confirmed that the trigger thresholds have been met...

News1 day ago

Large emergency service mobilisation to assist driver who went over cliff near oil refinery

POLICE, ambulance, coastguard, RNLI and two helicopters were all involved in the extraction of a casualty from a vehicle which...

News2 days ago

School leavers receiving A level results across Pembrokeshire today

A LEVEL RESULTS posted this morning show an overall 98* pass rate at grades A* to E compared with 99.1%...

News3 days ago

Pembrokeshire County Show opens today, and promises to be ‘action-packed’

WALES’ largest county agricultural show, Pembrokeshire County Show, opens today (Aug 17), and promises to be action-packed next week. The...

News3 days ago

Police investigating early morning hit-and-run in Pembroke; Officers appeal for information

POLICE in Pembroke are investigating a road traffic collision which occurred at about 2.15am on Sunday (Aug 14). A silver...

Health4 days ago

Health board: COVID-19 vaccinations will be by appointment only from end of this month

THE LOCAL health board has announced that from August 31, access to Mass Vaccination Centres (MVCs) in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion and...

News4 days ago

Police looking for a suspect following disturbance in Narberth High Street

POLICE are investigating an incident which occurred at about 1am on Sunday morning, 31st July 2022 in Narberth . A...

News4 days ago

Seven injured in A477 road accident near Neyland – Two remain in hospital

DYFED-POWYS POLICE is appealing for witnesses after seven people were injured in a road accident. Two people remain in hospital...

News5 days ago

100 firemen at recycling centre blaze which will take ‘days to extinguish’

OFFICIALS from Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service have said that a fire at TBS Recycling in Waterston...

Popular This Week