Business
Asda commits to making its cheapest food ranges more widely available

ASDA, which has its local branch in Pembroke Dock, has promised to make its cheapest food ranges more widely available following comments made by anti-poverty campaigner Jack Monroe.
Ms Monroe raised concerns that low-income shoppers were facing price increases because they could no longer get hold of them.
Asda said it has “taken on board” her comments it will stock its full Smart Price and Farm Stores ranges in all 581 food stores and online to “provide customers on a budget with more value choices.”
Asda currently stocks 150 Smart Price and Farm Stores products in 300 stores and will introduce all 200 products in these value ranges to all food stores by March 1.
The supermarket chain says it has “already taken steps to make its value ranges more accessible by increasing the number of products available online.”
Asda has added 100 Smart Price and Farm Stores products to its website this week, increasing the total online range to 187 products, and this will rise to 200 by the end of February.
Meg Farren, Asda’s Chief Customer Officer, said: “We want to help our customers’ budgets stretch further and have taken on board the comments about the availability of our Smart Price range made by Jack Monroe.”
“We are taking steps to put our full Smart Price and Farm Stores ranges in store and online to make these products as accessible as possible.”
The UK is facing an acute cost-of-living crisis driven by rocketing energy costs and inflation peaking at a near 30 year high.
Ms Monroe, an activist and blogger on how to eat on a budget, said: “Last year the Smart Price pasta in my local Asda was 29p for 500g.”
“Today, it is unavailable, so the cheapest bag is 70p; a 141% price rise for the same product in more colourful packaging.”
“A few years ago, there were more than 400 products in the Smart Price range; today there are 87, and counting down.
Deeside based supermarket chain Iceland has pledged to freeze the price of all its £1 Iceland frozen lines until the end of the year to help shoppers cope with rising inflation costs.
Managing Director of Iceland, Richard Walker said the company operates “in some of the most deprived communities in the country” and staff are already seeing customers “struggling to make ends meet.”
Business
£20m investment to unlock Cardiff Airport’s potential and drive South Wales growth

THE WELSH Government has confirmed the first phase of a major new investment package for Cardiff Airport, pledging £20 million to boost economic development and secure the long-term future of the site.
The funding marks the beginning of a ten-year programme designed to harness the airport’s capacity as a strategic asset for Wales. The scheme is expected to drive further growth across the South Wales region and create new opportunities in aviation, logistics, and employment.
Announcing the investment on Wednesday (Apr 2), Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Energy and Planning, Rebecca Evans MS, said the Welsh Government had completed due diligence on the proposals, including a review by the Competition and Markets Authority.
Ms Evans said: “We remain committed to the growth of this essential economic infrastructure, which currently generates over £200 million in Gross Value Added (GVA) annually and supports thousands of jobs in the South Wales region.”
Plans under the investment include potential development of aircraft maintenance facilities, improved cargo handling capabilities, and support for general aviation. Some of the funding will also be used to explore new air routes, with an emphasis on improving connectivity and Wales’ presence in global markets.
The £20 million commitment follows a previous announcement in July 2024, where the Welsh Government outlined its ambition to make Cardiff Airport a catalyst for economic expansion in Wales. This latest funding, according to Ms Evans, will help the region realise that vision and support a “vibrant and outward-facing” national economy.
Officials will monitor the impact of the funding throughout the ten-year period, with performance reviews planned and a focus on minimising subsidies while delivering value for money.
A record of the financial award will be published on the UK subsidy transparency database.
However, the decision has sparked criticism from the Welsh Conservatives, who renewed their call for the airport to be sold to the private sector.
Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Transport and Infrastructure, Peter Fox MS, said: “The Labour Government’s decision to inject the first £20 million of a planned £200 million into Cardiff Airport will bring the total amount of Welsh taxpayer money invested to over £200 million.
“Cardiff Airport is a financial burden on the Labour Welsh Government and Welsh taxpayers, and it is time for Labour to finally do the right thing and sell the airport to the private sector.
“Ministers in Cardiff Bay lack the essential expertise to manage an airport. That is why an experienced corporation in the private sector, with proven industry knowledge, would be better placed to ensure the airport not only survives but thrives.”
The Herald understands that further investment decisions will be made as the programme progresses, depending on the outcomes and economic impact of the initial phase.
Business
West Wales tourist attraction’s new water park hopes

WEST WALES could have a new water park attraction in proposals being mooted by the award-winning Moody Cow Farm Shop and Welsh Kitchen, near Aberaeron, Ceredigion.
The award-winning Moody Cow Farm Shop and Welsh Kitchen, along with Bargoed Farm, is owned by Chris and Geraint Thomas.
The couple moved to the derelict farm in 2010 after previously diversifying their cattle farm in the Brecon Beacons, but then losing everything due to legal issues.
They completely transformed the site before opening Bargoed Farm Campsite in 2018 and using wooden hot tubs as a unique way to bring in customers.
Chris and Geraint then launched The Moody Cow Farm Shop and Welsh Kitchen, serving up a wide range of Welsh dishes created using local ingredients.
Over the years, the attraction has expanded, recently gaining permission for a trampoline park on-site, called the ‘Bouncing Bull,’ and, back in 2023, was given planning permission expand its on-site caravan park with new tourer pitches with hot tubs, and glamping accommodation.
Bargoed Farm has now launched a public consultation on proposals to expand the attraction with a water park and leisure facility.
Details of exactly what is proposed have not been released yet.
The consultation, available online through surveymonkey or from Bargoed Farm, says: “Bargoed Farm is planning an exciting new indoor and outdoor waterpark and leisure facility, designed to provide year-round water-based activities for visitors and the local community.
“This new development will include indoor and outdoor swimming pools, thrilling water slides, a dedicated training pool, a children’s splash area, and a warm activity pool, ensuring that people of all ages and abilities can enjoy high-quality aquatic experiences in all seasons.
“Our aim is to create a premier leisure attraction in Mid Wales, offering family fun, fitness, and relaxation, while also supporting the local economy by drawing more visitors to the area.
“As we progress with the planning and development of this project, we are committed to ensuring that the views and needs of both local residents and visitors are fully considered. This survey has been created to gather your feedback on how you would use the facility, what features are most important to you, and how we can make it as accessible and enjoyable as possible.
“Your insights will directly influence the final design of the waterpark, helping us to shape it into a valuable asset for the local community and a must-visit destination for tourists.
“By taking part, you are helping to ensure that this development is designed in a way that best serves those who will use it most.
“We greatly appreciate your time in completing this survey.
“Whether you are a local resident looking for improved swimming facilities, a visitor who would love a high-quality waterpark in the region, or a business owner interested in how this could boost the local economy, your feedback is essential in shaping the future of this exciting new project.”
Bargoed Farm, which publicised the proposals on March 31/April 1, has confirmed the scheme was not an April Fools.

Business
Objections to Fishguard overnight campervan parking plans

A CALL to refuse Pembrokeshire council plans for an overnight motorhome and campervan parking site close to Fishguard’s ferry by some of its own officers has been withdrawn, but the town council has raised its own objections.
A trial scheme for overnight motorhome parking facilities at the Goodwick Moor car park, The Parrog, was mooted last year after a February 2024 council Cabinet-backed trial scheme for a ‘Pembs Stop’ campervan and motorhomes facilities at four car parks was later dropped.
It had initially been agreed that car parks at North Beach, Tenby; Goodwick Moor, Goodwick; Townsmoor, Narberth; and Western Way, Pembroke Dock would form the trial areas operating year-round at £10 a night for a trial 18-month period, with the intention not to create ‘campsites’.
That planned trial received national coverage, with a discussion on a phone-in programme on BBC Radio Wales.
Local tourism businesses had said the proposals will harm them, and concerns about the trial were also raised by the official tourism industry group for Pembrokeshire, Visit Pembrokeshire.
Following that, a special council scrutiny committee meeting was held last April where the scheme was overwhelmingly rejected; a later September 2024 Cabinet agreeing to not proceed with the scheme but instead trial an overnight stopover facility for motorhomes at Goodwick Moor car park, linked to the ferry port, the 18-month trial was initially expected to start this March.
A formal planning application for a conditional change of use of the Goodwick Moor Car Park scheme “to allow for the sleeping overnight between 7am and 9am for motorhomes/camper vans only” has been submitted by the council but the authority’s own Pollution Control Team had initially recommended refusal.
In its first report, the team said: “The Pollution Control Team have a history of complaints associated with this particular location where it has been utilised for overnight parking of heavy goods vehicles.”
It said the proposal “would undoubtedly represent an intensification of the site for the overnighting of transient vehicles” and it would be placed in an untenable position where it would not be able to enforce any noise complaints at a site where it has “historically been an issue for overnighting vehicles” through a noise abatement notice.
Since then, the council has submitted further information in the form of an operational statement to support the application and to address previous concerns.
That plan includes greater mitigation details of the 18-month trial “with assessment as to the suitability of the use of the Goodwick Moor site for overnighting vehicles to then take place after the trial period”.
The control team’s statement, now in conditional support of the scheme, says, adding: “The operation of the facility proposed is detailed as a one-night maximum overnight parking use for motorhome type vehicles associated with the use of the local ferry terminal service.”
However, Fishguard and Goodwick Town Council has objected to the application, raising concerns of noise nuisance to residents and other users, a lack of provision of facilities for overnight motorhome/campervans, saying the proposal would have an adverse impact on existing businesses and residents, a loss of community amenity, a loss of evening car parking facility for existing community groups, and poor road surfacing.
The application will be considered by county planners at a later date.
-
Community6 days ago
Final closures begin as long-awaited A40 bypass nears completion
-
Charity6 days ago
The Dizzy Bear to open soon at Milford Waterfront
-
News7 days ago
Park issues clarification on campsite restrictions following backlash
-
News6 days ago
Crisis deepens at Parc Prison as six officers arrested
-
Crime6 days ago
Pembroke Dock man to be sentenced for assaulting police officers
-
Crime6 days ago
Man jailed for historic child sex offences in Milford Haven
-
News7 days ago
Coastguard called to Goodwick breakwater after items found
-
Crime7 days ago
Unlicensed dog breeders prosecuted in Carmarthenshire