Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Parents up in arms over last minute cancellation of Hakin school bus service

Published

on

A ROW has broken out over a last-minute announcement from Milford Haven School that children living in The Fairways, Hakin will no longer be able to get free transport to and from school.

The school posted a message on Facebook on Monday (Sept 5) explaining that a cut in the number of buses meant that there was no longer space for pupils living just inside the three-mile statutory limit for provision of free school transport.

The school posted as follows: “Parents and guardians are asked to be aware of a change to bus travel arrangements from the Fairways, Dale Road, to Milford Haven School.

“Previously two buses would travel from Dale and St Ishmaels to Milford Haven School which had capacity to also pick up from Fairways.

“Now just one bus will be travelling from Dale and St Ishmaels with no spare capacity to pick up at Fairways.

“Fairways is within the statutory three miles of Milford Haven School so pupils are not eligible for free school transport.

“Pupils have previously been using concessionary passes while there were spare seats available.

“It has not been possible to issue concessionary passes this term.

“Many pupils from Fairways and the Hakin/Hubberston areas already utilise the service buses to get to school, currently £1 each way.

“The Council has arranged for the 318 service to pick up from Fairways at 8:07am and this drops pupils off inside the school grounds.

“This is also available for the afternoon.

“Other routes serving the area are the 302, and 315. Further details can be found online.”

Parents weren’t happy and took to commenting on Milford Haven School’s post.

Siân Thomson said: “Very short notice from PCC regarding this, it would have been beneficial for families to have been told this at the start of the summer holidays so we could have at least been prepared for it.

“As of tomorrow, I will have three children attending this school, the service bus would cost us £120 a month so it was quite a shock to receive the letter after the last few years of my children using the other bus with no issues.

“Also, an hour walk each way for children is very unrealistic too especially over autumn and winter.

“A real shame that this has been taken away.”

Nigel Williams wrote: “Will teachers be able to supply work at home as I cannot afford this and walking 2.8 miles in dark and rain before and after school is ridiculous.

“So, my daughter won’t be attending on bad weather days. I have called the school and asked but nobody has got back to me yet. Very poor planning from PCC getting a letter a few of days before the start of term.”

Steve Camani was concerned about space on the service bus. He said: “There’s about an extra 20 to 25 pupils there will be no space on the service bus… it was packed enough before this!

Cllr Guy Woodham, Cabinet Member for Education and Welsh Language has been contacted for a comment.

Community

Local firefighters to run search and rescue training exercise ‘High & Dry’

Published

on

MID and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service (MAWWFRS) will be carrying out a realistic Search and Rescue training exercise on Monday (Apr 7), aimed at enhancing emergency response capabilities.

The exercise, named ‘High & Dry’, will take place between 6:30pm and 8:30pm at Crown Buildings, Church Street, Llanelli. The session will allow crews to practise specialist rescue techniques, including Rescue from Height using the Turntable Ladder.

To ensure a lifelike environment, synthetic smoke will be used during the training. Members of the public may notice smoke escaping from windows and doors, or see emergency vehicles and personnel at the scene. The fire service is reassuring residents that there is no cause for concern.

Watch Manager Gavin Wilkins said: “It’s vital to utilise real buildings as it provides a realistic environment and opportunity to prepare our crews to effectively deal with incidents of this nature. We would like to thank the owners of Crown Buildings in Llanelli for the use of the premises for this exercise.”

The service also thanked the public for their cooperation and understanding while crews undertake this important training.

Continue Reading

Crime

Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

Published

on

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.

Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).

The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.

He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.

Continue Reading

Crime

Court adjourns marine enforcement case

Published

on

A SWANSEA man failed to appear in court after being accused of refusing to comply with a marine enforcement officer.

Ieuan Rhys Davies, aged 29, of Seaview Terrace, Penclawdd, is accused of failing to stop his vessel when directed by Marine Enforcement Officer Matthew Dawkins on June 6, 2024.

The case, brought under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, was adjourned until May 1 at 2:00pm.

Magistrates have ordered that Davies must attend the next hearing or risk a warrant being issued for his arrest.

Continue Reading

Charity9 hours ago

Royal visit celebrates Pembrokeshire charity’s community impact

STAFF, volunteers and visiting pupils at Lower Treginnis Farm were delighted to welcome a very special guest on Wednesday (April...

Business21 hours ago

Valero refinery escapes Trump’s new tariffs

Fuel imports spared as US tries to avoid price hikes THE VALERO oil refinery in Pembroke has escaped the impact...

Crime1 day ago

Leaked messages point to leadership crisis at HMP Parc

Staff mocked suicide and bragged about assaults as G4S failed to intervene A CULTURE of violence, cruelty and neglect flourished...

News1 day ago

Cleddau Bridge Hotel site housing development takes a step forward

CASTELL GROUP, in partnership with Pembrokeshire County Council, have completed the sale for the redevelopment of the former Cleddau Bridge...

Business1 day ago

Pembrokeshire Council rules out ‘toxic tourism tax’ – for now

VISITORS to Pembrokeshire will not face a new overnight tourism tax—at least not during the current county council administration. As...

News2 days ago

Shellfish gathering labelled ‘out of control’ in Saundersfoot

COUNCILLOR DEMANDS ACTION AS 250 COCKLE PICKERS DESCEND ON LOCAL BEACH ANGER is growing in Saundersfoot after more than 200...

Crime2 days ago

In court charged with intentional strangulation of woman

A PEMBROKESHIRE man is to appear before a Crown Court judge for trial charged with the intentional strangulation of a...

Crime2 days ago

Leaked messages reveal shocking culture at HMP Parc amid misconduct probe

The facility houses many prisoners from Pembrokeshire, and is the largest jail in Wales A SERIES of leaked messages obtained...

Business2 days ago

SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility

Talks underway for rocket factory at former Black Bridge armament depot SPACE-X, the aerospace company founded by billionaire Elon Musk,...

Crime3 days ago

Victims praised as 1980s child rapist jailed for 16 years

A POLICE detective has praised the “immense strength” of two survivors of child sexual abuse after their attacker was finally...

Popular This Week