Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

Business

Planning approved for change of use in Tenby’s ‘drinking quarter’

Published

on

THE RESTROSPECTIVE planning applications made by Mike Evans were granted approval by national park planners.

A former national park member who changed of use of historic buildings without permission was unrepentant about making a retrospective application.

Since last July, former stables in Tenby’s Sergeant’s Lane have been rented out to be used as a seating area for the nearby Harbwr Brewery.

A planning application seeking retrospective change of use of the Grade II listed buildings and previously derelict and overgrown stable yard for the serving of food and drink, made by by Harbwr Brewery owner Mike Evans, was approved by Pembrokeshire Coast National Park Authority planners on Wednesday, 1 February.

The application – recommended for conditional approval – was brought to the National Park’s Development Management Committee as Mr Evans was a recent member of the national park authority.

Also approved were works to the listed building roof.

At the meeting, members expressed concern about the retrospective native of the application, made by a former member of the planning committee.

Ted Lewis of nearby Rock Terrace raised concerns about potential waste and officers’ support for the retrospective application, claiming Mr Evans had shown “a complete failure” to abide by conditions imposed on a previous application.

He also referred to recent references to Sergeant Lane as being Tenby’s “drinking quarter,” adding: “I was horrified at that, if it becomes a ‘drinking quarter’ it will drive out local residents.”

Former county councillor Mr Evans, unrepentant at the retrospective nature of the application, said the area had been transformed from one of “pigeons, rats and dog [mess],” to one with five thriving businesses.

He said the development was providing “good, exciting and well-paid jobs,” adding: “At the core of everything we do is sustainability, we do nothing to harm the area and community we live in. At our own expense we clean and maintain the lane regularly.”

He described retrospective planning applications were “a legitimate route for planning,” adding it was the usage of the buildings that “has evolved,” rather than structural changes.

Tenby Civic Society has previously raised concerns about potential noise nuisance to nearby residential properties.

Until the late 1990s, many of the buildings on Sergeants Lane were used as warehousing and stores for Hermann Thomas and Co Plumbers.

Business

McDonald’s thanks Milford Haven after a busy first day

Published

on

MC DONALD’S new restaurant in Milford Haven, which opened its doors for the first time today, February 28th, at 11am, has already become a hit with the locals, thanks to an overwhelming turnout.

The opening day saw the restaurant bustling with patrons eager to check out the new location.

Reflecting on the day, the McDonald’s team extended a warm message of gratitude. A spokesperson said: “Wow, you came to see us in your droves today!

“We certainly tried our best to provide good service to you all. Inevitably at times, service was a bit slower than we would have liked, but we hope to see you all again soon.

“Thank you from team Milford.”

Despite the busy start and not offering breakfast on its first day—a detail proactively communicated to customers—the franchise’s focus remained steadfast on ensuring everyone had a positive experience.

The commitment of the new McDonald’s restaurant to the local community extends beyond its menu. In partnership with the police and Port Authority, the franchise is actively working to address anti-social behaviour and improve traffic management around the new site.

These collaborations aim to create a safe and enjoyable environment for both patrons and the broader community, reinforcing McDonald’s dedication to making a positive impact, the company said.

The opening of the restaurant has also brought significant employment opportunities to Milford Haven, with 90 new jobs created.

This boost increases the total number of individuals employed by Lonetree Limited, the local franchisee, to around 1,700 across its 17 McDonald’s outlets in South West Wales.

As McDonald’s encourages residents to follow their social media for updates, the overarching message is one of gratitude and excitement for the future.

A local councillor said: “The successful launch day sets a promising tone for the McDonald’s restaurant in Milford Haven as it embarks on its journey to be more than just a place to eat but a valued community partner.”

Continue Reading

Business

McDonald’s opens new branch in Milford Haven today

Published

on

A BRAND new McDonald’s restaurant is opening its doors in Milford Haven today (Feb 28) at 11am, offering locals a fresh dining option with a promise of community engagement and attention to local issues. The opening marks a departure from the usual breakfast service, with the restaurant opting to start later on its first day, running until 11 pm, before resuming its regular hours of 6 am to 11 pm thereafter.

A spokesperson for McDonald’s Milford Haven expressed enthusiasm for the launch, stating, “We are excited to be opening at 11am! We are open all the way through till 11pm and can’t wait to serve all of you throughout the day/week. We hope no matter what time of the day or night you visit us that you enjoy your first look around our new store.”

The opening day’s late start means that breakfast will not be available, a point the franchise was keen to highlight ahead of time. “Good Afternoon, Our opening hours will be 6am-11pm. But however, on opening day we will be opening at 11am so no breakfast,” the company announced, setting the stage for what is anticipated to be an enjoyable experience despite this minor setback.

In a move that underscores its commitment to becoming an integral part of the Milford Haven community, McDonald’s has announced collaborations with local law enforcement and the Port Authority to address anti-social behaviour and ensure efficient traffic management around the new location.

This partnership, The Herald was told, aims to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment for both patrons and the broader community.

The McDonald’s restaurant franchise encouraging residents to follow their social media pages for updates and to share news of the opening with friends and family.

Continue Reading

Business

Community to rally against Tata Steel job cuts in Port Talbot

Published

on

PROTESTORS are set to gather outside the Port Talbot Jobcentre Plus, making a stand against the proposed job cuts by Tata Steel that threaten to devastate the local community. The rally, scheduled for Wednesday, 28 February 2024, from 1 pm to 2 pm, aims to draw attention to the potential destruction of Port Talbot’s social and economic fabric if the company proceeds with its plan to lay off 2,500 steelworkers and shut down the town’s blast furnaces permanently.

This demonstration is a critical part of Unite the Union’s broader campaign to compel Tata Steel to reconsider its decision, a move that is also receiving strong support from members of the Public and Commercial Services (PCS) Union employed at the jobcentre. The gathering will take place at the Jobcentre Plus located at 64-66 Station Road, Port Talbot, SA13 1LX, with organisers promising comprehensive photo and video coverage upon request.

The protesters aim to vividly portray the bleak future awaiting Port Talbot should Tata’s current proposals come to fruition, drawing parallels to the long-term suffering endured by coalfield communities across England and Wales in the wake of mine closures. These areas continue to grapple with diminished employment opportunities, heightened unemployment, deteriorating health outcomes, and an increased dependency on social benefits.

Sharon Graham, Unite’s General Secretary, expressed a determined stance against the looming economic calamity, reminiscent of the plight that befell Britain’s coal mining towns. “The fight to prevent Port Talbot from enduring similar economic devastation is urgent,” she asserted. Graham remains optimistic about the UK steel industry’s prospects, citing the success of its counterparts in Germany, France, and the Netherlands, contingent on the right mix of support and strategic decisions. Unite is poised to escalate its efforts by initiating a strike ballot among its Tata members next week and leveraging all available means to pressure the company and political leaders to abandon their current plans.

Echoing Unite’s sentiments, PCS General Secretary Fran Heathcote extended unwavering solidarity to the workers at risk of redundancy due to the closure of Port Talbot’s blast furnaces. Heathcote criticised the move as an act of “industrial vandalism” and highlighted the ripple effects it would have, not only on the directly affected employees but also on the PCS members working in jobcentres and the broader community. The jobcentre staff, already under significant strain, face the daunting prospect of accommodating thousands of additional claimants, further exacerbating the challenges within the beleaguered town.

As Port Talbot stands on the brink of an uncertain future, the upcoming rally symbolises a critical juncture in the community’s fight against industrial decline, urging both Tata Steel and the government to chart a more compassionate and sustainable course forward.

Continue Reading

Farming3 hours ago

Thousands of farmers descend on Cardiff to say: ‘Enough is enough!’

THOUSANDS of farmers and supporters converged outside the Senedd in Cardiff, Wales, to voice their strong opposition to the Welsh...

Business4 hours ago

McDonald’s thanks Milford Haven after a busy first day

MC DONALD’S new restaurant in Milford Haven, which opened its doors for the first time today, February 28th, at 11am,...

Farming1 day ago

Police ask farmers not to bring tractors to Cardiff Bay protest

SOUTH WALES police said today that they are aware of a planned protest being held in Cardiff Bay on Wednesday,...

Crime2 days ago

Four-hour standoff ends in arrest after Gould fires ‘BB-gun’ at cops

A TENSE four-hour standoff ensued in Milford Haven, triggered by a 34-year-old man firing a BB gun at officers, Swansea...

Charity3 days ago

Communities in the west are some of the best – according to Ogi

WEST is definitely best, according to Ogi, Wales’s leading alternative broadband provider. Since starting its ambitious full fibre broadband rollout...

Charity3 days ago

Oxfam shop in faces closure over asbestos removal costs

HAVERFORDWEST’S popular Oxfam shop, a feature on the high street since 1987, is threatened with closure due to the prohibitive...

News5 days ago

Pembrokeshire couple win fight to stay in their home of 38 years

A CALL to allow a couple to keep living at a south Pembrokeshire dwelling, put in potential jeopardy as they...

News5 days ago

Sanctuary which saved 53 pigs from ‘horror farm’ to lose buildings

RETROSPETIVE plans for buildings at a Ceredigion animal sanctuary, which housed more than 50 pigs rescued from harrowing conditions at...

News5 days ago

County Council opposition group grows as Milford councillor joins

THE OFFICIAL opposition to Pembrokeshire County Council’s ruling group has seen yet another councillor cross the floor to join, the...

Farming1 week ago

Farmers protest as Drakeford arrives to open engineering centre

PROTESTS erupted as First Minister Mark Drakeford arrived at Coleg Llandrillo, Rhyl, to inaugurate a new engineering centre. Approximately 200...

Popular This Week