Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Parking scheme to help disabled people maintain independence reopens

Published

on

A SCHEME to help disabled people access a parking space near their property if they don’t have a useable driveway or garage is accepting new applications.

Following a successful first year of operation, Pembrokeshire County Council has reopened applications for Disabled Resident Parking Bays (previously known as Disabled Persons Parking Places or DPPPs).

The application form for Disabled Resident Parking Bays is now online and all applications must be submitted by 5pm on Friday 5th April 2024.

Previous applicants do not need to apply unless there has been a change in their circumstances. A paper form is available on request.

Ten bays were available during the first year, and a further ten bays will be available in 2024. The application process will take a minimum of six months from application to completion for successful applicants.

A permit will cost successful applicants £20 per year, and new successful applicants will pay once works on site have been completed.

One successful applicant in 2023 described the scheme as “life-changing” and said: “Being able to park when we get home has alleviated some of the stress of going out. We can’t thank those who have made this happen enough. It’s absolutely fantastic to have this space.”

Jessica Hatchett, one of the two Access Officers for Pembrokeshire County Council and the officer who is overseeing the scheme, said: “I am pleased that the scheme is returning for a second year. It is great to hear from last year’s successful applicants how much having access to a bay has helped them.”

In order to help those most in need of the provision of a bay, applications will only be considered if the following all apply:
• The applicant has a Blue Badge that is valid for three years from the date of issue
• The applicant drives/is driven in a vehicle that is owned and registered at the address of the proposed location of the disabled bay
• The applicant does not already have access to a useable garage or driveway.

Meeting the above criteria does not guarantee that a bay will be provided; only that the application will be assessed for suitability.

Applicants should be also be aware that due to volume of applications expected, priority will be given to those on enhanced/higher rates of benefits, rather than standard, middle or lower rates.

Applicants will be able to upload evidence with their online application form, but nobody should provide original documents or any additional evidence unless asked to do so.
The Council will not consider provision of a Disabled Resident Parking Bay in the following locations:

• In the turning head facility of any cul-de-sac.
• In any location where an existing prohibition or restriction of parking (inclusive of permit parking), of waiting or loading is in place or is being considered by the Council.
• Within 10 metres of a road junction.
• At locations where there is a history of visibility related collisions.
• In a position that may prevent the passing of normal traffic flows.
• In a position where a parked vehicle will be unsighted to travelling vehicles such as on a bend.
• On un-adopted highway or private land.
• In any other areas where highway safety is deemed to be compromised.

The application form for a Disabled Resident Parking Bay is live on Pembrokeshire County Council’s website here: https://www.pembrokeshire.gov.uk/parking-in-pembrokeshire/disabled-persons-parking-places.

Applicants may also phone Pembrokeshire County Council on 01437 764551 and request a paper copy of the application form.

Applications will close at 5pm on Friday 5th April.

 

Business

Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview

Published

on

LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS

PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under scrutiny after Energy Minister Adam Price was challenged over plans to reduce the use of overhead pylons in Wales.

Mr Price defended the Welsh Government’s position during an appearance on BBC Radio Wales’ Sunday Supplement, arguing that communities must have greater confidence in how major grid projects are handled.

Plaid Cymru has pledged to give communities a stronger voice over energy developments and to look more closely at alternatives to overhead transmission lines, including underground cabling where possible.

The issue has become increasingly sensitive in rural parts of Wales, where proposed pylon routes linked to renewable energy schemes have raised concerns about landscape impact, tourism and local consultation.

However, Welsh Labour said the minister had failed to explain when any restriction on pylons would take effect, or who would pay the additional cost of placing cables underground.

A Welsh Labour spokesperson said: “Adam Price keeps saying how clear their manifesto was and yet he won’t say when they’re banning pylons. They won’t say who is paying for the extra cost of undergrounding cables.

“Without certainty, companies won’t invest. That’s thousands of clean, green energy jobs at risk. Plaid need more than a plan to have a plan.”

Labour said the Welsh Government must now set out how its policy would work in practice, including whether it amounts to an outright ban, what exemptions would apply, and how any extra costs would be funded.

The debate highlights the challenge facing ministers as Wales seeks to expand renewable energy generation while addressing public opposition to large-scale grid infrastructure.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

Published

on

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON

FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair on Saturday (May 23), with many praising the event as one of the best organised in recent years.

Held at the Community Centre Field in Monkton, the annual fair brought together horse owners, traders and local families for a traditional day centred around horses, ponies, stalls and socialising.

Coloured cobs, heavy horses, ponies and horse-drawn traps attracted attention throughout the day, with many visitors gathering around the field to watch the animals being shown and led around the site.

A variety of stalls selling everything from clothing and ornaments to tack and second-hand goods helped create a lively market atmosphere, while food vendors kept visitors fed throughout the day.

Despite overcast conditions at times, the event remained busy, with many attendees staying for several hours to enjoy the traditional fair atmosphere.

Community members later took to social media to praise the smooth running of the event, with several publicly thanking organiser Charlie Price for his efforts in bringing the fair together.

Comments described the day as “well organised” and praised the welcoming atmosphere, with many saying it was encouraging to see a long-standing local tradition continuing to thrive.

The fair once again brought together members of the travelling community, local residents and horse enthusiasts from across west Wales.

A horse drive was also due to take place on Sunday (May 24), continuing the weekend’s celebrations.

Photo captions:

Traditional gathering: Horses, ponies, horse-drawn carts and market stalls drew crowds to Pembroke Fair in Monkton on Saturday (Pic: Herald).

 

Continue Reading

News

Watchdog criticises health board over £10m GP contract checks

Published

on

A HEALTH board has been criticised by Audit Wales after GP contracts worth more than £10m were awarded without sufficient due diligence checks.

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board allowed a GP partnership associated with eHarley Street Primary Care Solutions to take on eight GP contracts in south-east Wales, with a combined annual value of around £10.1m.

Audit Wales said the board should have carried out greater scrutiny before approving the arrangements, including checks on financial resilience, workforce plans, business risks and the partnership’s ability to manage several practices at once.

However, the watchdog found no evidence of fraud and noted the board was dealing with significant pressure in general practice, including vacant contracts and limited interest from other bidders.

The report said weaknesses in governance and scrutiny contributed to later disruption and uncertainty for patients and staff when problems emerged.

Concerns included financial and workforce pressures, unpaid invoices, and issues relating to tax and pension payments. Some contracts were later handed back, requiring the health board to step in to protect services.

Natasha Asghar MS, Welsh Conservative Shadow Cabinet Minister for Health and Social Care, said the findings were “deeply concerning”.

She said: “Patients and staff were left facing disruption and uncertainty because proper scrutiny was not carried out before these contracts were awarded.

“The Welsh Conservatives believe lessons must be learned to ensure robust checks are in place, protect frontline services and restore confidence in primary care across Wales.”

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board accepted the recommendations and said it had already strengthened its processes.

Audit Wales said the case highlighted the need for stronger checks before GP contracts are transferred, particularly when a single partnership is taking on multiple practices in a short period.

 

Continue Reading

Business6 hours ago

Plaid energy policy challenged by Labour after Adam Price interview

LABOUR SAYS MINISTERS MUST EXPLAIN COST AND TIMETABLE FOR PYLON PLANS PLAID CYMRU’S approach to energy infrastructure has come under...

Community7 hours ago

Pembroke Fair praised as well-organised community event

HORSES, STALLS AND FAMILY CROWDS RETURN TO MONKTON FAMILIES, horse owners and visitors turned out in force for Pembroke Fair...

Local Government3 days ago

Youngest mayor in century takes office in Haverfordwest

Randell Izaiah Thomas-Turner makes history as town’s first millennial mayor and first from a diverse background HAVERFORDWEST has welcomed a...

Community3 days ago

Pembroke Fair set to return after last year’s success

STALL HOLDERS INVITED AS HORSE DRIVE PLANNED PEMBROKE Fair is set to return this weekend following the success of last...

Crime3 days ago

Neyland man accused of running over traffic worker’s foot

Jury hears conflicting accounts over roadworks incident in Milford Haven A NEYLAND man has appeared before Swansea Crown Court accused...

Community3 days ago

New pilot boat Llanion dedicated at emotional Milford Haven ceremony

Vessel dedicated at Mackerel Quay as Port marks major investment in safety and resilience MILFORD HAVEN’S new state-of-the-art pilot vessel...

Local Government3 days ago

Police and GoSafe to target speeding in Newport and Dinas

RESIDENTS’ concerns over speeding and anti-social driving have prompted planned enforcement action in the Newport and Dinas areas. Dyfed-Powys Police...

Community4 days ago

Safety first as Milford Haven’s new pilot boat marks end of troubled chapter

Gary Solomon, who was aboard St Davids during the 2016 collision, helped shape new self-righting vessel Llanion from conception to...

Crime4 days ago

Cocaine courier caught with £15,000 haul in Pembroke Dock

Defendant transported high-purity drugs from Cardiff to Pembrokeshire for £210 A PEMBROKESHIRE man caught transporting more than £15,000 of high-purity...

News5 days ago

Car bursts into flames near Redberth Croft as road closed after incident

Nobody injured after vehicle fire near A477 prompts emergency response A CAR was destroyed by fire near the entrance to...

Popular This Week