Crime
Sentenced for breaching order by sending texts to ex-partner’s friend

A PENALLY man has been sentenced after messaging a friend he had known for 30 years while she was in the company of another woman he had been prohibited from contacting.
Unknown to Shane Lloyd, his actions resulted in him breaching a restraining order which had been imposed by a law court in July 2023.
The two-year order prevented Shane Lloyd from having any direct or indirect contact with his former partner, and the order was to run until 2025.
But on January 17, 2024, Lloyd sent messages to a friend via Facebook.
“The defendant called her on Facebook messenger when she was with his former partner,” Crown Prosecutor Sian Vaughan told Haverfordwest magistrates this week.
“The call was on speaker so his former partner was able to hear everything that was being said. He began screaming and shouting abuse that he was going to kick the door down and kick [his partner’s] head in. This has affected her and she’s petrified.”
Lloyd, of Alma Gardens, Penally, pleaded guilty to the charge of breaching the restraining order, however his solicitor, Tom Lloyd, stressed that his client was unaware that his actions constituted a breach.
“My client contacted a woman who he has been friends with for 30 years,” he said. “There’s nothing stopping him from contacting that lady and he’s at liberty to do so.
“He was literally talking to an old friend in text messages, not realising that his friend happened to be with his former partner. So he accepts now that he was in breach. But if he’d known that at the time, he would never have messaged her.”
After considering the mitigation, magistrates extended Lloyd’s restraining order by two years, which means it will now run until 2027. He was also fined £80 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £32 court surcharge.
Crime
Former police superintendent dismissed for gross misconduct

Misogynistic behaviour spanned three years, hearing told
A FORMER senior officer has been dismissed from Dyfed-Powys Police following a gross misconduct hearing which found he had engaged in inappropriate and misogynistic behaviour towards female colleagues.
Gary Davies, who held the rank of Superintendent, had been suspended since July 2022 while an investigation was carried out into a series of allegations relating to his conduct between 2017 and 2020.
A Gross Misconduct Hearing was held at Dyfed-Powys Police Headquarters between 24 March and 4 April 2025. The hearing was chaired by Legally Qualified Chair, Mr Oliver Thorne.
The panel found that Davies had breached multiple standards of professional behaviour, including Authority, Respect and Courtesy, Discreditable Conduct, and Equality and Diversity. As a result, he has been dismissed from the force and placed on the College of Policing Barred List, which prevents him from returning to the police service.
Deputy Chief Constable Ifan Charles, who serves as the Appropriate Authority for complaints and misconduct within Dyfed-Powys Police, issued a formal statement following the outcome.
He said: “Dyfed-Powys Police expects the highest standards of professional behaviour from its officers and staff, both on and off duty – and especially from those in senior leadership roles.
“I apologise to the former and current officers and staff who were subjected to inappropriate behaviour by former Superintendent Gary Davies, and I thank them for their courage in coming forward.
“Over the past two weeks, we have heard accounts from a number of colleagues, the majority of whom are women, who experienced unacceptable misogynistic conduct during the course of their duties.
“They are role models, and I commend the integrity and bravery they have shown throughout this process.
“This case is deeply concerning and will understandably cause unease within the organisation. I want to reassure all staff and the wider public that immediate action was taken when allegations were made, and the matter has been treated with the utmost seriousness.
“The outcome of today’s hearing reflects our commitment to maintaining the highest standards of conduct in policing. We will continue to use all available measures to ensure those unfit to hold the office of constable are removed swiftly and efficiently.”
Davies’s name was officially added to the Barred List on Friday (Apr 4), the day the hearing concluded.
Police and Crime Commissioner for Dyfed-Powys, Dafydd Llywelyn: told The Pembrokeshire Herald: “The public rightly expects the highest standards from those who serve in policing. Former Superintendent Gary Davies actions fell short of these expectations, and their dismissal reflects our commitment to integrity, professionalism, and public trust. There is no place in Dyfed-Powys Police for those who undermine these values.
“I would like to thank current and former staff and officers who came forward to report this misconduct. I appreciate that this must have been incredibly difficult, but their courage has been vital in ensuring accountability and upholding the standards the public deserve.”
Crime
Haverfordwest resident denies assault on partner during birthday break

A HAVERFORDWEST man has gone on trial accused of attacking his partner while on holiday in Pembrokeshire.
John Roberts, aged 51, of Barn Street, appeared at Swansea Crown Court charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.
The incident is alleged to have taken place on August 24 last year at a shepherd’s hut in Rosemarket, where the couple were staying to celebrate the complainant’s birthday.
Roberts is accused of grabbing his partner by the hair and banging her head against a wall, before damaging a fireplace inside the property. He denies both charges.
Opening the case, prosecutor Emily Bennett told the jury that Roberts and the complainant had been in a relationship for twelve years and were enjoying a holiday following a family barbecue.
She said that shortly after midnight, Roberts’ “mood changed,” and he allegedly launched the attack.
The jury heard that the complainant managed to escape, locked herself in the bathroom and called the police. When she later emerged, Roberts had left the property — taking one of their dogs and the keys with him — and she noticed the fireplace had been damaged.
Roberts was arrested later that day. In police interview, he denied assaulting the woman or causing any damage, claiming she had “started on him” after accusing him of being unfaithful.
The trial, before Judge Wayne Beard, continues.
Crime
Fined for dropping cigarette at Milford Haven Tesco

A LLANELLI man who dropped a cigarette outside Tesco in Milford Haven has been fined over £570 after failing to attend court.
Mark Evens, aged 42, of Llys Westfa, Llanelli, was found guilty in his absence at Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Thursday (Apr 3).
The court heard that on September 3, 2024, Evens discarded a cigarette butt in a public place to which section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 applied.
He was fined £220 and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £88 and prosecution costs of £266.66. A collection order was made, and the full balance of £574.66 must be paid by May 1.
-
Charity7 days ago
Emergency services unite for charity at Pembroke Dock Fire Station
-
Sport7 days ago
Kildunne hat-trick rips Wales apart in record-breaking Six Nations clash
-
Community7 days ago
Tenby comes alive with eccentricity as Steampunk Festival returns in style
-
Education7 days ago
Supported employment learners take off on airport adventure
-
Community6 days ago
Funeral arrangements confirmed for popular local entertainer, Matt Baker
-
Business4 days ago
SpaceX eyes Milford Haven for new UK facility
-
Crime5 days ago
Pembrokeshire farm worker accused of threatening to burn employer’s farm
-
Crime5 days ago
‘Yeah but no but’ insult to female officer lands Monkton man with court fine