Crime
Spate of number plate thefts hits North Street, Pembroke Dock
AT LEAST six vehicles were targeted for their number plates on North Street in Pembroke Dock this weekend, sparking concerns among local residents . The thefts, part of a seemingly increasing trend, have prompted calls for heightened action from local law enforcement.
According to Christina Cogger, a resident affected, this worrying pattern has evolved from previously more common forms of vehicular theft.
She expressed frustration, suggesting the lengths to which vehicle owners might have to go to protect their property if something is not done soon.
Joshua James, another local, reported an attempted theft on his vehicle.
Despite capturing the incident on CCTV, the footage was insufficient for identifying the perpetrators. This incident underscores the challenges faced by the community in deterring and solving these crimes.
The series of thefts have led to widespread consternation, with residents questioning the effectiveness of police response to these incidents.
Karen Breaker voiced a common concern regarding the actions taken by authorities to address the situation.
Ray Roberts reported that clear CCTV footage of an attempted theft, occurring at 12:45 am, had been secured and would be submitted to the police, offering a potential lead in the investigation.
The problem extends beyond North Street, with reports of similar incidents in the Pennar area, indicating a broader issue that affects multiple neighborhoods. Victims and sympathisers, including Sally Thomas and Laura Dagger, shared their experiences, expressing the inconvenience of having to get new plates made at short notice.
A police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police has received a number of reports of the theft of vehicle number plates in the Pembroke Dock area.
“The incidents were reported to have taken place in the North Street, Britannia Road and School Gardens area sometime overnight, Sunday February 4th and Monday February 5th.
“Anyone with information that could help officers with their investigation is asked to report it to Dyfed-Powys Police, either online at: https://bit.ly/DPPContactOnline, by emailing [email protected], or by calling 101.
“If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired text the non-emergency number on 07811 311 908.
“Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or visiting crimestoppers-uk.org.”
Crime
Cocaine deaths spark regional summit across West Wales
Health, police and support services unite after rising concerns in Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire
COCAINE has been identified in a significant number of drug-related deaths across Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire over the past year.
Frontline teams have also reported rising incidents of violence, aggression and criminal justice involvement among people accessing drug and alcohol support services.
Dyfed-Powys Police data shows cocaine is now the force’s second most seized drug, and remains widely used across a range of settings.
In response, the Dyfed Area Planning Board brought together representatives from health, policing, commissioned services, social services and community organisations for a regional summit aimed at understanding the scale of the problem and agreeing joint action.
Hywel Dda’s Community Drug and Alcohol Team opened the event with an overview of emerging substance use trends. Dyfed-Powys Police then shared enforcement intelligence, while Public Health Wales provided a national perspective on stimulant use.
Clinical specialists also outlined the impact of cocaine use on maternity services, blood-borne virus transmission, exercise culture and the night-time economy.
The summit concluded with harm reduction training and group discussions focused on strengthening prevention, treatment pathways and community support across West Wales.
Steve Reynolds, Dyfed Drug and Alcohol Service manager, said: “DDAS are incredibly encouraged by the success of this cocaine summit. Cocaine-related harms are complex and evolving, and through collaboration and open dialogue we can respond effectively.
“The summit reinforced the importance of reducing stigma, expanding access to support, and ensuring that people who use our services receive compassionate, person-centred care.
“We remain committed to working with partners in developing practical actions that improve outcomes for individuals, families and communities.”
Detective Superintendent Gareth Roberts, of Dyfed-Powys Police, said: “It was a pleasure to host this valuable event at Dyfed-Powys Police.
“As a force, we are committed to working in partnership to improve the health, wellbeing, and safety of our communities as we work hard to reduce the risk of drug-related harm.”
Craig Jones, Hywel Dda Prevention and Population Health Improvement Manager, said: “This summit marks the beginning of a coordinated regional effort to reduce harm, improve outcomes and strengthen support for individuals, families and communities affected by cocaine use.
“Partners will now work together to address availability, risk reduction and access to support.”
Anyone experiencing problems with substance use, or anyone seeking more information about the Community Drug and Alcohol Team, can visit hduhb.nhs.wales/drug-and-alcohol.
Crime
Farm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
Council awarded control of animals after magistrates hear claims of unlicensed breeding
A PEMBROKESHIRE farm owner has appeared before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court after 26 dogs were removed from her care under animal welfare legislation.
Rachel Roberts, of Penlan Oleu, Puncheston, appeared in court on Friday (May 1) in relation to an application brought under Section 20 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006 following action by Pembrokeshire County Council.
The court heard that 26 dogs had been taken into possession, including spaniels, dachshunds, poodles, chihuahuas and six puppies.
It was alleged in court that Roberts had been breeding and selling dogs without the appropriate licence, and that some animals had not received the correct vaccinations.
Magistrates granted the application, allowing Pembrokeshire County Council to take control of the dogs and make decisions about their future, including rehoming.
Roberts was also ordered to pay £99,463.35 in costs to the council.
RSPCA investigation
An RSPCA investigation was reportedly opened last year after images emerged of horses said to be in poor condition.
The Herald has also been contacted by a concerned member of the public, who provided videos and photographs which they claim show a dead horse concealed beneath wooden pallets.
The source further alleged that a person staying at the property had witnessed a horse being dragged by its neck using a tractor.
These claims have not been independently verified by The Herald.
Wider allegations
The Herald has also been told that other members of the family may have been involved in the sale of dogs from the property, with allegations that animals were later sold outside Pembrokeshire.
The paper understands that Roberts’ daughter, Eliza Roberts, has previously appeared before the courts in connection with dog-related offences.
Roberts, 36, was sentenced to three months in prison and banned from owning animals for seven years after pleading guilty to two counts of possession of a fighting dog and one count of being in charge of a dog dangerously out of control.
The charges followed an incident in Hanwell, near Banbury, on March 26, in which a schnoodle named Winnie was killed by two XL Bully dogs, Kobi and Kardi.
At the sentencing hearing, Roberts was ordered to pay £1,295 compensation, and a destruction order was made for the dogs.
Crime
Man remanded in custody over assault and criminal damage allegations
Goodwick defendant accused of assault and damaging property as magistrates refuse bail
A GOODWICK man has been remanded in custody after appearing before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court charged with assault and criminal damage.
Scott Hughes appeared before magistrates on Monday (May 18) following allegations relating to an incident in Goodwick.
The court heard Hughes is accused of assault by beating during an incident at an address in Stop and Call, Goodwick, on Saturday (May 16).
He also faces a charge of criminal damage after allegedly damaging property during the same incident.
Hughes did not enter pleas at Monday’s hearing.
Magistrates refused bail and remanded him in custody ahead of a further hearing.
The court was told bail was refused due to concerns Hughes was likely to cause injury or fear of injury to an associated person and because of concerns regarding possible interference with witnesses or obstruction of justice.
He is due to appear again before Haverfordwest Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (May 26).
-
News6 days agoPalestine pledge backed by 36 new Senedd Members
-
Community4 days agoSurfers take sewage protest to Broad Haven beach
-
Crime24 hours agoPembrokeshire teenager admits driving almost four times over drug-drive limit
-
Crime21 hours agoTree surgeon sentenced for failing to provide breath test
-
Crime17 hours agoFarm owner in court after 26 dogs removed over welfare concerns
-
Crime3 days agoBuilder jailed for £82,000 fraud affecting 18 victims
-
Health5 days agoNew NHS regional body raises questions over future hospital services in Pembrokeshire
-
Crime23 hours agoPembroke Dock drink-driver arrested on Cleddau Bridge






